Volunteering to do Portraits

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
siddh

Re: Volunteering to do Portraits

Post by siddh »

Dang that's very good doofus! ^_^ Much better shape for the head. I think there's too much black in that image though, but still it's much better than mine, despite being humorous :lol: I'd like to note also though that the difference isn't just in the corrected proportions but also general features of the character. I think you're correction of the placement of the facial features is good, but there's also different shape for the jaw and cheeks.. And also the head position is a bit like leaning outwards, like putting the chin out. I think it's fine work in anycase, I don't think I can manage the proportions that well :(

(I suppose the above concerns points #1, #2 and I agree it's better that way)

#3 That's a question of interpretation, I associated the 'dark' word with some sort of evil like described earlier.. Going for a rougher style seems like a different kind of thing, suited for ruffians or such. Also the character progresses to be commander, so I don't think brigand like style would be fitting. Which reminds me I should've done hte commander image too :D The point about aristocracy fits with this perspective by the way ^_^

Oh the point #4 about the cropping... I didn't think about that, but it could be problem if some characters are zoomed in and others are displaying almost the wholy body :hmm:

#5 I didn't really use layers, well to be exact I used 1 layer for the armor, 1 for the face and 1 for the hair, but I didn't really use the layers in a fashion where using them would be of any benefit.... And I did notice there was some transparency... But perhaps I should've changed between different backgrounds to see if it's a problem. I mean I didn't think about it too much, I just noticed that, but you know.. Now that I think about it could be a serious problem.
Implementor37

Re: Volunteering to do Portraits

Post by Implementor37 »

Hahahaha! :lol: That's hilarious doofus! Honestly, I'm not entirely sure about the meaning of 'dark'--it suggests both evil and roughness in differing degrees to different people. I think that a 'rough' character would be suited for your run-of-the-mill soldiers. After all, they probably don't have the greatest lives ever, while the aristocracy is given all the leadership roles. If it would help, here is a .zip archive of the campaign right now. Scenario 1 is finished, 2 i finished coding but haven't tested at all. I've mentioned this before, but it will be going on the add-on server after i finish scenario 3.
Spoiler:
I've always imagined the Legion as having a similar structure to Imperial Rome, so thats kind of what I'm going for--not evil in the same way as the undead persay, but definitely not good like the freedom/liberty-seeking Alliance of Light (see TLB) . Maybe play through at least the first scenario (maybe the 2nd if it works...) so you can get a feel for the characters?--the portraits will be for Aetheonnyn and Bluraecyn. Hope that helps!
Attachments
End_of_the_Legion.zip
(396.84 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
Author of End of the Legion, available now on the 1.12 and 1.13 servers!
Supporter of the addition of the Aragwaithi into mainline.