Shield's Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Shield

Shield's Art

Post by Shield »

This is where I will be posting Wesnoth sprites and other Wesnoth-related art that I make; for my own content or otherwise.
I'll start with a few:

Elvish Initiate, inspired by SP Campaign Besieged Druids. Just thought that a shrunk-down Shaman wasn't cutting it for me, so I made my own version.

Female Duelist. I made her originally so that I could play a female Duelist-like Vagabond in Bob's RPG Era, but now I'm thinking of making females of the Fencer and Master of Arms, too.

ImageImage
Sprite and Peri inspired by Roar of the Woses.

Wood Mage, inspired by Story of the Wose. I was glad that a remake of the old sprites was made, but I wasn't satisfied with them. In addition to this one, I also made versions of the Wood Mage's advancements to replace those on the versions I had on my computers. She's meant to closer resemble to protagonist's portrait.

Yes, obvious frankies and recolors... These aren't my first sprites, though, they are my more recent ones. Each of these also has animations, too, which I'll post once I figure out how to make .gifs (sometime eventually).

Comments welcome!
Creator of Lonely Era.
Here's my art!
I'm also on Tumblr.
Shield

Re: Shield's Art

Post by Shield »

Figured out gifs!
ImageImage
Sprite and Peri attack frames.

ImageImageImage
Wood Mage attack/defense anims.

ImageImageImageImage
Initiate healing/defense anims and attack frames.

ImageImageImageImage
Female Duelist attack/defense frames, and death animation.
Creator of Lonely Era.
Here's my art!
I'm also on Tumblr.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Good :P, if you use Gimp then when you set your layers of image they are used by gif from the first on the bottom and its goes to higher layers.
Spoiler:
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

The Wood Mage's hood appears a little bit too dark, but other than that they're all good!
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Shield

Post by Shield »

ChaosRider: Thanks! But I don't use Gimp, I use Photoshop CC. I tried to look up how to make a gif in Photoshop, but all of the tutorials were either for previous versions or PC computers. I made the gifs in gifmaker.me, adjusting the speed to how it would approximately look ingame.

Tom_Of_Wesnoth: I am aware of this. It originally all one color, but I thought I try her looking more like the protagonist's portrait. See below:

ImageImage
This is the original sprite, seen adjacent to the darker-hooded edit (right).
Creator of Lonely Era.
Here's my art!
I'm also on Tumblr.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Maybe you should make the shoulders darker as well? That'd fit the portrait better, and make it clear the hood is something separate to the main robe.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Shield wrote:but all of the tutorials were either for previous versions or PC computers
Sorry for interrupting, but what are you using when you aren't on a Personal Computer? A mobile? A tablet? An Xbox? Can it even run on a mobile?

Looking at your portrait, I see that the details are great, but the proportions are not so great. The hand is very nicely drawn, but it looks somewhat muscled, masculine (my fingers and arm are much thinner, and I am a guy). The face is quite strange. I think that it's because the cheeks are too wide, but I can't resize it quickly because something's wrong with my laptop that prevents GIMP from running properly and I am lazy to fix it. Maybe the eyes could be lower. The face looks quite boyish as it is, it took me quite some time to realise that there should be a woman on the picture.

Tip: When I have issues to guess the right proportions, I usually download a human mesh for Blender (3D graphic program), get it into the position I need, set the right camera angle and use it as background for the picture to know where exactly each body part should be. However, it might not the the best advice, because I haven't made many portraits and I was usually helped a bit by somebody better.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Dugi's been quite negative so I'm going to balance it out. The robes on the portrait are really good, you've captured the way the cloth fits and the shading perfectly.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Yeah, I should have elaborated more on the part 'the details are great'. I sounded far more negative than I wanted.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Dugi, it is like we are being 'good cop, bad cop'.
Shield

Post by Shield »

I'd thought about doing her shoulders on the sprite, too, but I was worried that it would be unclear; I would've if she had a cape, though.

And, uh, that portrait isn't mine. :augh: She's from the campaign's original art, I thought it was obvious... (I guess not everyone's played Story of the Wose?) I've definitely considered doing a version of her portrait, too. But I'm not the one to go to for critiquing the original. I just put it here to compare to my sprites.
Creator of Lonely Era.
Here's my art!
I'm also on Tumblr.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

I think it's a bit unclear as it is now, so doing the shoulders would make things clearer, at least to my eye.
Shield

Post by Shield »

Unrelated to the Wood Mage, here's a new one:

ImageImage
He's an original unit idea called the "Messenger." He's supposed to be an alternate 2nd-level for the Footpad (right), in which, instead of gaining strength, he gains speed. I'm pretty sure he'll have a slowing bolas attack, and maybe skirmisher, but this is still a new idea; I'm putting him up here so I can get some feedback before I make the female version.

And btw, the legs are intentionally long-- he is a scout, after all.
Creator of Lonely Era.
Here's my art!
I'm also on Tumblr.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

The messenger is a cool idea, one thing you could do is change his hair from the original, give him a ponytail or headband, maybe even taller. :hmm:

*I also like the Initiate :)
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

The messenger is good but his staff seems to not be as smooth as it should, it's too jagged from the pixels.