Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Bob_The_Mighty

Re: Shield's Art

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Shield wrote:Image
Female Duelist. I made her originally so that I could play a female Duelist-like Vagabond in Bob's RPG Era, but now I'm thinking of making females of the Fencer and Master of Arms, too.
Looks good, I'm happy to add this to Bob's RPG Era if I can get the individual animation files.

May I use the rabbit too? :)
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Shield

Post by Shield »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:
Shield wrote:Image
Female Duelist. I made her originally so that I could play a female Duelist-like Vagabond in Bob's RPG Era, but now I'm thinking of making females of the Fencer and Master of Arms, too.
Looks good, I'm happy to add this to Bob's RPG Era if I can get the individual animation files.
Here she is!
Female Duelist.zip
(20.01 KiB) Downloaded 565 times
May I use the rabbit too? :)
You most certainly can! I'm happy that it's such a hit!
Creator of Lonely Era.
Here's my art!
I'm also on Tumblr.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Faerie Storm has recently redone many of the Besieged Druid sprites recently - zealot, mage, and initiate have new sprites, wisp has basic animations, and archmage now has noticeably pointy ears. I haven't released a new version with them yet, but if you want you can view them here. I believe there were three more things Faerie Storm was planning on doing — improving the treewalker and replacing its staff with the one the Wisp now uses; replacing the priestess's sceptre (or whatever it is) with the zealot's new staff; and making an orcish necromancer.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Faerie_Storm

Post by Faerie_Storm »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Faerie Storm has recently redone many of the Besieged Druid sprites recently - zealot, mage, and initiate have new sprites, wisp has basic animations, and archmage now has noticeably pointy ears. I haven't released a new version with them yet, but if you want you can view them here. I believe there were three more things Faerie Storm was planning on doing — improving the treewalker and replacing its staff with the one the Wisp now uses; replacing the priestess's sceptre (or whatever it is) with the zealot's new staff; and making an orcish necromancer.
I was also planning on adding melee attack animations to the wisp and mage but I haven't made them yet. I have some stuff planned for altering the treewalker. I also have plans to give the priestess the zealot's staff.

I have not started making an orcish necromancer yet. Also the archmage needs to have the same staff the new mage has. If you want to do either of those two (or both) that would be helpful.
Shield

Post by Shield »

Faerie_Storm wrote:
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Faerie Storm has recently redone many of the Besieged Druid sprites recently - zealot, mage, and initiate have new sprites, wisp has basic animations, and archmage now has noticeably pointy ears. I haven't released a new version with them yet, but if you want you can view them here. I believe there were three more things Faerie Storm was planning on doing — improving the treewalker and replacing its staff with the one the Wisp now uses; replacing the priestess's sceptre (or whatever it is) with the zealot's new staff; and making an orcish necromancer.
I was also planning on adding melee attack animations to the wisp and mage but I haven't made them yet. I have some stuff planned for altering the treewalker. I also have plans to give the priestess the zealot's staff.

I have not started making an orcish necromancer yet. Also the archmage needs to have the same staff the new mage has. If you want to do either of those two (or both) that would be helpful.
I'd like to do the orc necromancer; I've been meaning to do more orcs and goblins, anyway, and it sounds like a lot of fun. Celtic Minstrel, is there anything you had in mind for its sprite? For example, the units you think it would most likely resemble, or the types of attacks it has?

Speaking of campaigns I've managed to win, I've got some more sprites from a while back:
ImageImage
Back when I played Archery Training, another very entertaining campaign, I noticed that its single custom unit didn't have any custom artwork; so I made some sprites and integrated them into the files so I could more easily tell the "Young Elvish Archer" from its default counterpart.

They're frankensteined from the Elvish Archer and Woodsman, with a little thrown in from the Elvish Druid and Sharpshooter.
I also made a complete set of animation frames for them, as well as altered their .cfg to fit.

I originally made these for personal use, but anyone interested can download them below:
Young Elvish Archers.zip
even MORE puny elves
(59.66 KiB) Downloaded 597 times
Creator of Lonely Era.
Here's my art!
I'm also on Tumblr.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Shield wrote:I'd like to do the orc necromancer; I've been meaning to do more orcs and goblins, anyway, and it sounds like a lot of fun. Celtic Minstrel, is there anything you had in mind for its sprite? For example, the units you think it would most likely resemble, or the types of attacks it has?
I imagine it would somewhat resemble the human necromancer. For orcs I suppose it would most resemble the archer or possibly the assassin, not sure. As for attacks... I don't currently have anything in mind there to differentiate it from the human necromancer, though perhaps I could replace the shadow wave(?) with a curse attack (based on the orc shamans from Son of the Black Eye). It does also have the draining, soul-sucking shadow drain attack. (As you might have guessed, this unit is for Kaden Kreuz. Whether I'll use it for anything else besides that, I'm not sure. I suppose it could show up in the sequel as an upgrade from Orcish Shaman.)

EDIT: Oh right, since soul-sucking is a very similar ability to the plague staff, I wouldn't mind doing away with the plague staff and replacing it with a normal staff or even some other melee weapon. Well... maybe it could keep the drains ability though.
Shield

Post by Shield »

Unrelated to the last few posts, here's some attack icons I did a long time ago but never posted:
an alternative to that one with the lips
an alternative to that one with the lips
fangs-vampire.png (2.63 KiB) Viewed 6936 times
plenty of campaigns have mosquitoes, right?
plenty of campaigns have mosquitoes, right?
bite-mosquito.png (1.64 KiB) Viewed 6936 times
bug bite sequence initiated
bug bite sequence initiated
bite-mosquito+flesh.png (2.79 KiB) Viewed 6936 times
Just thought I'd throw these out here. Feel free to comment and/or use!
Creator of Lonely Era.
Here's my art!
I'm also on Tumblr.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

In my opinion your second mosquito attack is a little too colourful. I personally would make it so you weren't entierly sure what was going on, perhaps forgoing some of the skin detail and only having a hint of red.

I'm more interested in the female duelist though. I think you've done quite a good job of her and look forward to seeing other female versions of mainline units [stridently avoids mentioning topics which could get me into trouble] Can I suggest you play around with the decoration though?
Duelists are not camoflaged units, they're over the top and probably reek of all manner of purfume waving their frilly lace handkerchiefs around. The male duelists would be what we now call "metrosexual" and what was previously known as "dandys", if that's so why not go even further on the frills and ribons with female duelists? How about a cruly wig which looks like a spaniel's hair, a completely unreasonalby proportioned ostrich plume in the hat, a little veil and a corset? :twisted: ;)
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:and making an orcish necromancer.
I myself is in need of orcish necromancer.
And what I did today.
orc-necromancer.png
orc-necromancer.png (1.99 KiB) Viewed 6797 times
I hope doofus and god of sprites will forgive me so plain stealing and frankenstaining of so decent art but when I saw an Orcish Stalker from Archaic Era I understood that this figure looks really fearful and he looks right the way as orcish necromancer should look like.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Looks okay, but needs animations.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Looks okay, but needs animations.
Ups, that going to be a challenge. There are no animations for Orcish Stalker in Archaic era. At least there are animations of that staff in different positions from mainline necromancer. Still I am not sure I would be able to do that, I will try nevertheless, but not in the right near future.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

If it helps, I consider the minimum set of animations to be fairly small - one or two frames for the ranged attack animation, one frame for the defend animation, maybe one frame for melee attack (but melee has the sliding animation by default, so it's not a huge deal if there's not a separate frame). I feel like I might've forgotten one though...

By the way, Shield, if you still want to make your own orcish necromancer, feel free. I might like it better than this one. :)
ForestDragon

Re: Shield's Art (TGA)

Post by ForestDragon »

I like your units :) , i am currently working on an era called The Golden Age (i hadn't released it yet), i already included the Elvish Adept (lvl0, who can advance into Elvish Shaman, and Elvish Acolyte, has a 5-2 faerie fire attack, and heals+2 ability ),Sprite and Peri (renamed faerie fire into pixie dust, recruitable in the Sylvan faction(Basically Elves, without human mages, and with a bunch of new units)), Rabbits (not recruitable ,but they were just TOO good not to be included . made a Killer Bunny version basically a white lvl1 rabbit with red eyes),Messenger, can i use them please?

EDIT: removed the emojis, due to an excess of them being quite childish
Last edited by ForestDragon on April 6th, 2018, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
ForestDragon

Re: Shield's Art (TGA)

Post by ForestDragon »

Made a female Messenger for my era (keep in mind, i am not an artist, but a WML coder)
Here goes nothing:
messenger+female.png
messenger+female.png (2.17 KiB) Viewed 6291 times
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Forest Dragon, unless you are working with someone (in the case Shield) on art, post your sprites on your own art thread. It will make it easier for people to comment on your artwork, instead of Shield's. If Shield logs on and see new posts on his art thread, he will think people commented on his art. But when he gets there it'll all be on yours. You'll attract more attention if it says "Forest Dragon's Art", instead of Forest Dragon commented on "Shield's Art"
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives