Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Wussel

Re: Shield's Art

Post by Wussel »

I like the portrait.

Main issue for me is the resolution. At the end you should use 400x400 pixel ingame. To get there, the easiest way is to draw at a bigger size like at least 800x800. Than you shrink it only for the ingame file at the end.

The outline needs a line with a bit of transparancy to make it look smooth.

All other things would be a question of taste at the moment. I like the colors you picked and the highlights and shades you made. Keep it up.
Shield

Post by Shield »

Crow_T: His hair is slightly different already, but it is subtle what I did with it. I frankie'd and recolored the bangs and ear from the Thief, and merged them onto the Footpad's regular hair; I also did some erasing to make it less ragged in the back. (and thanks, I like the Initiate, too)

Tom_Of_Wesnoth: Let me see if lightening and trimming off some of that dark outline can help.
ImageImage
This guy better? (previous at right) I also finally downloaded Wesnoth RCX and was able to see him TC'd, and as a result I lightened him up a bit.

Wussel: ... :| Please read all of the comments before posting, please.

ImageImage
Bonus: Revised Peri frames, after seeing TC errors when previewed in RCX.
Creator of Lonely Era.
Here's my art!
I'm also on Tumblr.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

It's a little bit better. I'm not sure if it's possible to get it perfect at that angle with so few pixels, though...
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Shield

Post by Shield »

Some portraits I tossed out there for tapaboy's campaign: Girl unDead
He declined them, but they were still fun to make.
Spoiler:
The full size pictures are better quality (you can view them on Girl unDead's topic), but they're just so huge that it's impossible to compare them side by side...
Creator of Lonely Era.
Here's my art!
I'm also on Tumblr.
Shield

Shield's Art (now with bunnies!)

Post by Shield »

Thought I'd try to meddle with something that's been bugging me for a long time: the UMC Rabbit sprite.
Image(this guy)

Lots of campaigns have that rabbit in them, but its art, though not bad, is incredibly outdated-- not just too big, but too cartoony; perfect for the more humorous campaigns, but sticking out like a sore thumb in most stories.

Here's my take:
He's small, sure, but rabbits aren't supposed to be large. I also made some attack/defense frames:
ImageImageImageImage
They also come in caramel, grey, and white!
ImageImageImage

Here's all the images, for those who might be interested in using them:
alternate rabbit sprites.zip
lots of bunnies
(17.02 KiB) Downloaded 608 times
As always, it's courteous to credit, and I really hope these are useful to any of you!!
Creator of Lonely Era.
Here's my art!
I'm also on Tumblr.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

I like the white one, it looks pretty similar to one of my two rabits. Also I recommend you to try make as many possible ways of advance for these rabits as its possible. One of these advances could become bigger on each next lvl and on 4th have size similar to hulk!
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Shield

Post by Shield »

ChaosRider wrote:I like the white one, it looks pretty similar to one of my two rabits. Also I recommend you to try make as many possible ways of advance for these rabits as its possible. One of these advances could become bigger on each next lvl and on 4th have size similar to hulk!
Thanks! Lots of crazy, increasingly-large rabbits sounds a lot like that "Killer Rabbits" faction from a while back...
However, I was only really trying to improve the current rabbit graphic; that is, the basic brown one, and the white one it advances into. The grey and caramel variants were made for fun, or just in case somebody preferred their rabbits of a different color. Neat idea, though! ^_^
Creator of Lonely Era.
Here's my art!
I'm also on Tumblr.
Nikita_Sadkov

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

killed your bunny.
Attachments
bunny-dead.png
bunny-dead.png (1.13 KiB) Viewed 6480 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Shield's Art (now with bunnies!)

Post by Iris »

Shield wrote:As always, it's courteous to credit, and I really hope these are useful to any of you!!
Just “Shield” will do, or do you have something more specific in mind?

Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Shield

Post by Shield »

Nikita_Sadkov wrote:killed your bunny.
He died the way he lived... with less than ten hitpoints.
shadowm wrote:
Shield wrote:As always, it's courteous to credit, and I really hope these are useful to any of you!!
Just “Shield” will do, or do you have something more specific in mind?

Just "Shield" is fine! I'm so thrilled that my art will be useful to you!
Creator of Lonely Era.
Here's my art!
I'm also on Tumblr.
Shield

Post by Shield »

As long as we're on the note of updating old UMC graphics, I have more!

ImageImageThese kids look familiar?
The "Peasant Child" sprites, while perfectly sized and proportioned, appear to have some serious color issues. Their shadows are black and fade at the edges (a shading technique that's being phased out), the contrast is so low that the the face and knife can barely be discerned ingame, and the TC is too dark (from personal experience, if the magenta looks just right with the rest of the unit's colors, it's too dark, which is why RCX is such a useful tool).

Here are my versions:
ImageImage
Mostly a recoloring, but a visually substantial one, at least.

Here's a downloadable .zip containing them and their animation frames:
alternate children.zip
won't somebody please think of the children?!
(7.93 KiB) Downloaded 638 times
I had fun making these, so I hope these are useful, too!
Creator of Lonely Era.
Here's my art!
I'm also on Tumblr.
Nikita_Sadkov

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

Shield wrote:The "Peasant Child" sprites, while perfectly sized and proportioned, appear to have some serious color issues. Their shadows are black and fade at the edges (a shading technique that's being phased out), the contrast is so low that the the face and knife can barely be discerned ingame, and the TC is too dark (from personal experience, if the magenta looks just right with the rest of the unit's colors, it's too dark, which is why RCX is such a useful tool).
Yeah. The original sprites weren't too bad, but for some reason had badly chosen palette (i.e. the knife blended with clothes). Dunno why even a remotely experienced artist would do such error.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Shield wrote:Figured out gifs!
ImageImageImageImage
Initiate healing/defense anims and attack frames.
I just noticed this now, and I have to say it looks pretty good! I'm not sure whether or not I'll actually use it as the initiate graphic, as I recently replaced the shrunken shaman with a hatless shaman for the initiates (in an as-yet-unreleased version of the campaign; see Faerie Storm's thread if interested), but even if I don't use it for the initiate it could be quite useful for the Elvish Adept in the sequel (a L1 unit that advances to Zealot or Mage).

Do you have the images downloadable in PNG format as a zip or something?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Shield

Post by Shield »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:
Shield wrote:Figured out gifs!
ImageImageImageImage
Initiate healing/defense anims and attack frames.
I just noticed this now, and I have to say it looks pretty good! I'm not sure whether or not I'll actually use it as the initiate graphic, as I recently replaced the shrunken shaman with a hatless shaman for the initiates (in an as-yet-unreleased version of the campaign; see Faerie Storm's thread if interested), but even if I don't use it for the initiate it could be quite useful for the Elvish Adept in the sequel (a L1 unit that advances to Zealot or Mage).

Do you have the images downloadable in PNG format as a zip or something?
I'll get to work on that right away! But first, I'll fix the TC; I made them before I got RCX, so their magenta is a little too dark.
Creator of Lonely Era.
Here's my art!
I'm also on Tumblr.
Shield

Post by Shield »

Here we are:
ImageImage
The TC-corrected one is on the right.
Elvish Adept.zip
puny elves
(8.24 KiB) Downloaded 612 times
Since you mentioned this sprite being more likely used for an "Elvish Adept" unit than the Initiate, I also renamed the files.
I could redo some of the other sprites, if you're interested. I'm not really good at making them from scratch (my initiate is an obvious shaman edit), but it's amazing what can be done with careful frankensteining and recoloring. Besieged Druids is one of the few campaigns I've actually won, so I wouldn't mind. :D
Creator of Lonely Era.
Here's my art!
I'm also on Tumblr.