Sprite questions

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Quivscor

Sprite questions

Post by Quivscor »

I'm beginning with Wesnoth-styled pixel art. Can you give me some critique about that one little fella i made here?

It's based on the female thief pose and the colouristics of the elven druid.

btw i need to figure out how attachments works and don't be suprised if this picture actually shows 3 times :>
OmnisScio

Re: Sprite questions

Post by OmnisScio »

It's decent, though a little difficult to distinguish what's going on. There is a lot of detail which can be difficult to discern given the size of the image. There needs to be better contrast between the skin and the leaves/vines. Adding darker parts to the foliage would make them 'pop' a bit more.
Where the real test begins though, is with the animations. There are a lot of umc sprites around that are good, but have terrible animations, or none at all.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I say drop the question of animations for the time being, drawing 1 good sprite can be a daunting task y itself, no need to concern yourself with making like 20 times more. Especially if it turns out the base sprite is not optimal and you have to correct every animation frame one by one. And even more if it happens multiple times.

As for this sprite itself:

The hair lacks contrast, I think it glows a bit too much. But maybe the white background isn't helping. Add darker teints.

I think the legs are a bit too long and the torso/lower body a bit too short. Or something seems weird around there, anyway.

I personally would never have guessed it was leaves and vine. I thought he was wearing some weird futuristic leather suit with green fabric patches, but I guess he is nacked and "wearing" a vine? This is very unclear, at any rate. Maybe make the leaves bigger and more discernible. There must be no doubt possible if that's what you wanted to depict...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Quivscor

Post by Quivscor »

I corrected her hair and made her smaller. Also, the vines are more simplistic and leaves on her shoulders are bigger. What should i do earlier and i did now is shading under the vines, i hope that it's more clear now what are those. What do you think now?
Oh, and very much thanks for your opinions. It really helped me out. :D
SFault

Post by SFault »

You have some stray pixels near the head. To make the sprite more readable you should add some inner outlines. I attached a quick demo for the green parts.
Attachments
inner outlines
inner outlines
outlines.png (2.46 KiB) Viewed 3630 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art