UI Mockup (for a theme designed for large displays)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ancestral
Inactive Developer

UI Mockup (for a theme designed for large displays)

Post by ancestral »

Edit: I’m told words are necessary.

This is a UI mockup for a theme I may end up making, intended for large displays.
wesnoth-hd.jpg
My thoughts:
  • This is rough. I only spent a few hours on this. I didn’t go out and find amazing textures. I reused stuff that’s already in the project. It could be prettier.
  • One of the goals I have is I want to simplify the top bar. Some people may likely complain, but I think there's too much information, especially about upkeep. I fell that, when it comes to money, all that’s necessary to know is how much you have and how much you’re gaining. Anything else and you can visit the status dialog box for more information.
  • I’m using Caudex for the typeface. It’s a modern uncial, which gives it a slight ancient European feel. It supports a good number of languages, except notably no Cyrillic nor Asian scripts. (But that’s okay, because that’s the point. This is an uncial, which to my knowledge wasn’t much outside western Europe anyway.) Also, SIL OFL is compatible with the GPL.
  • There’s no small icon in the info bar at the bottom, and that’s intentional. Many other games don’t show the tactical icon, and I don’t see how that’s entirely necessary here either. Plus we have some fantastic artwork, why not use it?
  • I like the damage/attacks icons displayed, though I might switch the color to the damage instead of the attacks. (The color is supposed to indicate the type of damage.)
  • Not a huge fan with the placement of the ToD picture. It could go in the menu bar, maybe. Initially I just wanted to show an icon with a sun, but I’m realizing that that might not work out well, and may end up being just too labor intensive.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: UI Mockup (for a theme designed for large displays)

Post by zookeeper »

Unless I've missed something major, we still can't do UI elements that sit over the main map view so the shape or the bottom bar as well as the floating minimap can't be done. Not to mention that the minimap would perpetually obscure some of the northeast corner hexes anyway.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Bah.

Good point about the northeast corner hexes. That would make it difficult, wouldn’t it?

I guess I might have to move the mini-map down to the bottom UI, and maybe that will need to be even across the screen.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I think the minimap looks nice the way you have it. To get access to the corner, there could be a minimize button on the map, or we could allow the player to scroll the game window farther to the left instead of stopping when the edge of them map is in view. Both would require changes in the C++ code, but it sounds like this theme would anyway.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

ancestral wrote:Edit: I’m told words are necessary.

This is a UI mockup for a theme I may end up making, intended for large displays.
wesnoth-hd.jpg
My thoughts:
  • This is rough. I only spent a few hours on this. I didn’t go out and find amazing textures. I reused stuff that’s already in the project. It could be prettier.
I think it is nice, very nice.
Sadly this is the best thing I have to say about it.

Your approach renders the sight field to 35 x 10.
~ 3.5 : 1
That is too extreme.
Some of our units are faster than 10.
It is comfortable for the player when he can see all the unit's movement range when centered.

Move the "Delfador" labeled panel away.
It hurts where it is currently.

You can waste space at both sides of the screen but not in the north nor in the south.
With the big menubar in mind it might make even sense to move the menubar to the left side.

Currently, it might be a good theme for RPG add-ons but not for the default game.
I like the font and how you arranged everything.

Sadly it just won't work well for default Wesnoth.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I like where your head is at, but having top/bottom panels is good for old school, more square monitor formats- today's modern wide screens are better served with vertical side panels.