Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
michaelan

Cadet Unit

Post by michaelan »

Hi!
I'm currently working on making artwork for a custom unit I'm making, the Cadet. This unit would be a level 0 unit that would advance into a sergeant.
Image Image Image Image Image
As you can see, the image is largely based off of the peasant. Also, the image still has a white background, because when I made it transparent, there were still a few undesired random white spots. I don't know how to make it completely transparent, and some help would be appreciated. Please give me any feedback and criticism you have. Thank you!
optimother

Re: Cadet Unit

Post by optimother »

I'm not an Wesnoth art guru but I'd like it to be more distinct from Peasant, this is too easy to mix up.
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Cadet Unit

Post by beetlenaut »

michaelan wrote:I don't know how to make it completely transparent, and some help would be appreciated.
First of all, you have to work in .png format. You are using .jpg format, which can't have transparent pixels. You might be using a very cheap image editor too; any decent image editor will let you erase white pixels, leaving transparency behind. Normally, you could select all the white pixels at this point and erase them, but unfortunately, these images have too much .jpg compression. That made all the colors blend together a little, so now every background pixel is a different shade of white, making them very hard to select all at once. The high .jpg compression is also why the images are blurry.

I'm afraid that the problems caused by .jpg compression take so long to undo that it would be a lot faster to start over and save in .png format as you go. That's really the only way you are going to be able to get a transparent background.

You also might want to know that Ken_Oh had an idea for a level-0 sergeant too, and made a sprite. You might want to base yours on that one instead.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide