The Godly Dragon Campaign

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
GodlyDragon

The Godly Dragon Campaign

Post by GodlyDragon »

Hi everyone, after 6 or 7 years of playing BfW, I've decided to make my own campaign but I'm really not good to make sprites and portraits :oops: , can somebody help me?

I first need 10 sprites of dragon, from newborn to godlike, and 4 portraits (baby, young, adult, godlike).

I know this is big, but I really need an artist for my campaign, if you are good at making sprites and/or portraits can you please consider to help me? :D

Thanks
Dugi

Re: The Godly Dragon Campaign

Post by Dugi »

There's too many people that demand artists. You will need a good campaign that will attract the artists first or to have an artist friend. Otherwise, you'll have to learn how to do it yourself.

The easiest trick is frankensteining, pasting a few unit parts together, recolouring and making minor edits to make it fit better together. This way, you can learn to use many useful features of image editors. Drawing a sprite from scratch can be hard, but frankensteining can cheat a lot. However, that won't be so easy with dragons, although you can use scaling and recolouring.

Another trick is using 3D art. You'll need to learn for a couple of days to create anything at all, but you don't need much artistic skill to create something that is feasible as a sprite when rendered to something so small. You can also simply download one that has a good license (CC-0 is GPL-compatible), 3D models are far easier to get than suitable sprites. Minor changes to position and size of body parts requires little artistic skill, so creating 10 sprites of dragon in different ages of life isn't hard (animations neither). For portraits, you will need to texture the 3D model, but that isn't so hard neither and again, once you make one, you can make others en masse. However, the result isn't pure pixel art, but only some purists have problems with that. Look at the Library of Kratenmaqht (the name may be misspelt) campaign's graphics to see some examples of 3D-made spritework.

You can also search through the forums for some artwork, I've seen a lot of dragon graphics around here. Search also the old art library and add-ons. Dragons are always popular thanks to Eragon, Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire, Hobbit and other popular fantasy stories.