Questions about team colouring

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Bob_The_Mighty

Questions about team colouring

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

1. I can't seem to resize an image in photoshop without losing the in-game team colouring. I'm guessing it alters the magenta shading too much. Is there a trick for preserving the correct shades of magenta when resizing?

2. Is there a way to add team colouring to a unit image in photoshop? I've been turning unit images into icons, wondering if there was a way to make the magentas match a team colour. Maybe via something colour balance or hue saturation?

3. I remember seeing a macro somewhere which used {TURQUOISE_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOUR} instead of the usual magenta one, but I can't find it defined anywhere. I've tried using the rgb flag to match the colours on my unit, but without any luck. My turquoise stays turquoise.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Questions about team colouring

Post by zookeeper »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:1. I can't seem to resize an image in photoshop without losing the in-game team colouring. I'm guessing it alters the magenta shading too much. Is there a trick for preserving the correct shades of magenta when resizing?
Setting resampling mode to nearest neighbor in the scale dialog should do the trick.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:3. I remember seeing a macro somewhere which used {TURQUOISE_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOUR} instead of the usual magenta one, but I can't find it defined anywhere. I've tried using the rgb flag to match the colours on my unit, but without any luck. My turquoise stays turquoise.
You might need to expand upon what you actually tried. Did you define "turquoise"? I don't see it in data/core/team-colors.cfg
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
SirGalahad

Post by SirGalahad »

I have the same problem.

Is there a method with GIMP the give a color for the files .PNG??

I don't like magenta and I'm doing some experiments with Java and Pygame, for that reason I would like to have files .PNG with a team color.
With great power comes great responsibility.
SirGalahad

Post by SirGalahad »

Hey, man, I've solved my problem.

I found this:

http://wiki.wesnoth.org/TeamColoring

and this:

http://svn.gna.org/svn/wesnoth/trunk/da ... mColorizer

The second link is the Python code of TeamColorizer mentioned in the first link. I couldn't find it at /data/core/tools/

I hope this hekp you.

:D
With great power comes great responsibility.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I remember one time I was working on a magenta orb image, I took an existing orb then changed it to an image type with a limited color palette and used only the official magenta team colors as the color palette, then my image editing program automatically recolored the image for me using a nearest-color approximation.

Unfortunately I don't remember which image editor I was using or all the steps involved, however maybe that is enough information for someone else to figure that out.

P.S. on an unrelated note, shortly after I created the image, it was modified to a different version that didn't support team coloring (svn r28297) :roll:

The method I used probably has a big flaw though: the luminosity in the game seems to be mostly darker than the corresponding color on the magenta swatch. So, it could be useful to have a ReverseTC program that estimates the best swatch color from a source image and creates a completely team-colorable version as a new image.

The method I used would still be good when you had accidentally smudged an existing team color patch though.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Thanks for the tips on recolouring, I realise I'm slightly out of my depth. I think I was hoping for a simple Photoshop trick. (I can just about handle Zookeeper's resizing suggestion.)

In answer to Doofus: I tried replacing the each of following, but none of them seemed to do anything.

flag_rgb=00CC99,00CC99,00CC99,00CC99,00CC99,00CC99
flag_rgb=00CC99
flag_rgb=03B6A3,38877D,36897F,37887E,229A8d,58E5CD

In case it helps, I was trying to get team colouring working for a bunch of old Spacenoth images (see attached images).
Attachments
mothership.png
mothership.png (5.63 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
wagon.png
wagon.png (8.94 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
My current projects:
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:In answer to Doofus: I tried replacing the each of following, but none of them seemed to do anything.

flag_rgb=00CC99

In case it helps, I was trying to get team colouring working for a bunch of old Spacenoth images (see attached images).
Looking at those two images, I don't see those colors you specified anywhere, am I overlooking something? The lines that I think you are trying to re-color are coming up as 08b39d for me. If you have confusion about what is going on with the standard magenta recoloring, trying looking at the end of the file <wesnoth>/data/core/team-colors.cfg and compare that with the colors in the image <wesnoth>/images/tools/magenta_team_color_palette.png (in conjunction with your favorite mainline unit sprite).
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

edit: nevermind
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

doofus-01 wrote:
Bob_The_Mighty wrote:In answer to Doofus: I tried replacing the each of following, but none of them seemed to do anything.

flag_rgb=00CC99

Looking at those two images, I don't see those colors you specified anywhere, am I overlooking something? The lines that I think you are trying to re-color are coming up as 08b39d for me. If you have confusion about what is going on with the standard magenta recoloring, trying looking at the end of the file <wesnoth>/data/core/team-colors.cfg and compare that with the colors in the image <wesnoth>/images/tools/magenta_team_color_palette.png (in conjunction with your favorite mainline unit sprite).
It turns out I was missing something. 00CC99 was incorrect cos I had 'web colours only' ticket in photoshop. I got those images team coloured and quickly realised they looked terrible. In any case, thank you for leading me to my mistake.
My current projects: