Inactive Developer

Small Wesnoth shield icons

Post by ancestral »

Wesnoth icons, 16x16 and 32x32:
wesnoth@16x16.png
wesnoth@16x16.png (378 Bytes) Viewed 2828 times
wesnoth@32x32.png
wesnoth@32x32.png (989 Bytes) Viewed 2828 times
(For reference, the large pre-existing Wesnoth icon.)

Couple of notes:
  • Images at this size are not designed to show large amounts of detail. Solid colors are good as… these are supposed to be somewhat simple and recognizable, especially at even smaller sizes.
  • These images use websafe colors. (Matters less these days, but I needed a palette to use anyway, so I decided to use it.)
  • Like most pixel art, the pixels on the bottom are just the color palette used. It is not part of the actual icon.
I have some thoughts on these, but I’m interested to hear your C&C first.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
iceiceice

Re: Small Wesnoth shield icons

Post by iceiceice »

Hmm it reminds me, it would be nice if we could get icons to work for the desktop tray notifications, for some reason (iirc) we don't get any icons in linux or Mac. IIRC I was told we do get icons with windows currently. (Also IIRC I was told we have some problems with "growl" in general for Mac, idk if we are getting any tray notifications on mac at all?)

Idk if the reasons had anything to do with the size or format of icon, but if using these icons might fix it, it would be nice to get that bit of polish working.

(Note that I do not have access to windows or mac, all statements are second hand abt those.)
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

iceiceice wrote:Hmm it reminds me, it would be nice if we could get icons to work for the desktop tray notifications, for some reason (iirc) we don't get any icons in linux or Mac. IIRC I was told we do get icons with windows currently. (Also IIRC I was told we have some problems with "growl" in general for Mac, idk if we are getting any tray notifications on mac at all?)
Don’t know about Linux, but there is no systray on a Mac, it’s called the dock, and the bigger the icons, the better. Growl isn’t really needed anymore; there is a notification system built-in in OS X if devs want to use it.

I think the 32x32 turned out better than the smaller one. I’m not super happy with the 16x16, I think it’s too fuzzy and the dimensions seem slightly off.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

Well, for the 16x16 I'd honestly prefer Lord Bob's and GunChleoc's work here:
http://r.wesnoth.org/t39851

As to the 32x32 one, a little color variation on the central golden surface might be good, but it's nice as is. At least or me, it would add a feeling of 3D if it wasn't a monochrome block.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

aquileia wrote:As to the 32x32 one, a little color variation on the central golden surface might be good, but it's nice as is. At least or me, it would add a feeling of 3D if it wasn't a monochrome block.
The same thought jumped out at me, they come across as appearing very flat. They would need some shading to add depth.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time