Kwandulin's Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderators: Developers, Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:

Kwandulin's Art

Postby Kwandulin » March 31st, 2014, 9:08 am

Greetings,

after a long time of both playing Wesnoth and reading the forums, i finally decided to create an account and join the forums.

While playing Battle for Wesnoth, i always wondered why there is such a marginal use of pickupable items (of course there are a few counterexamples). In my opinion, items can - if their sprite is clearly readable - contribute a lot to the gameplay (e.g. items as secondary goals, exploring the map and finding items, rewards, emphasizing strengths of units) without making the game itself too complex. As there are rather few item graphics currently (at least in the mainline trunk) i thought it might be reasonable to create some more item sprites.
Maybe they could be useful to some UMC creators.

Here are some of them (other ones still need to be polished up a bit):
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The attachment below contains these sprites
Last edited by Kwandulin on July 31st, 2016, 6:26 am, edited 7 times in total.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Re: Sulfur's Item Blacksmith

Postby Dugi » March 31st, 2014, 9:39 am

They look pretty good, I think I'll use them in my campaign if you don't mind.
Author of Legend of the Invincibles.
I am human, stronger than any god. -Joe Tiberi
Dugi

Postby Kwandulin » March 31st, 2014, 9:51 am

Sure, i'd feel honoured
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Postby Mabuse » March 31st, 2014, 10:29 am

Very nice. :)

i'd also like to take a look and use them :)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Mabuse
Forum Regular

Postby dipseydoodle » March 31st, 2014, 12:23 pm

Too cool!
- Dipsey
dipseydoodle

Postby iceiceice » March 31st, 2014, 1:49 pm

C&C:

- Lower left item. Is that a pair of torches? Maracas? Ethernet cables? I have trouble reading it. (Edit: Sorry I didn't realize there wasn't an actual line break -- should be "second-to-last item")

- The sickle -- I guess I can read it, but usually I think of sickles as being shaped a bit differently, like in the old Soviet Flag? I have even seen a real sickle once, I think if it were curved the way yours is it would be hard to use it properly.

I like the sealed letter sprite, seems it could fit very nicely in someone's campaign.
iceiceice
Developer

Postby Kwandulin » March 31st, 2014, 2:24 pm

Okay, i have changed the sickle slightly.

The second to last item is meant to be a pair of snowshoes, a more traditional one, though (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowshoe / rawhide webbings)
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Re: Sulfur's Sprite Blacksmith

Postby Kwandulin » May 25th, 2014, 5:13 pm

Hello guys,

it's been a while. I'd like to present some new sprites to you, any feedback is welcome.

Giant Mushroom: Got more or less inspired by the following thread and especially the linked post: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?p=194779#p194779. So more or less a stationary unit, that may poison and/or slow a nearby unit via a 'spore attack' (both melee and ranged?). The graphical effect of the elvish shaman's entangle attack might fit well here.

Quiver: I created this with the intention that ranged units, who pick it up, get (limited) access to special arrows, e.g. the fire arrow of the orcish archer.

Flying sword: Ah, well, just a flying sword!

With best regards
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Postby Kwandulin » August 7th, 2014, 8:03 am

Moin moin,

the last few days i worked on two sprites (partly frankensteined) for a dwarven campaign i am currently working on:

The Dwarvish Stoneborn is meant to be a sturdy melee only L2 advancement of the Dwarvish Fighter that also offers some utility. His attacks can petrify the enemy for one turn.
The Dwarvish Brewer is a L1 ranged potion thrower with a weak heal ability (+4)
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Postby ChaosRider » August 7th, 2014, 10:49 am

I like that Dwarvish Stoneborn, his image is quite clear and readable, more i would like his animation for attacks and defense. Chainmail also looks good, but isnt he a little too high? I think you could make shorter his chainmail a bit.
In Dwarvish Brewer most readable are his boots, at his right shoe they should be potions but for me it looks like daggers, maybe animation could make it ore mclear. As for me its not bad, but probably some improvements would be required here.

Edit 2: as for petrified which cant be attacked while being petrified, i suggest to allow attack them but increase petrified unit all resistances by 25% or only physical resistances (blade,impact,pierce) by 50% while being petrified.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
ChaosRider

Postby Kwandulin » August 15th, 2014, 5:14 pm

Hey,

thanks for your comment. At the moment i am not planning to do any animation. My abilities in terms of spriting are very limited (that's why i use already existing unit sprites as a base for mine) and i'd rather have some not-so-bad-looking base images than a bunch of bad animation. Currently, base images totally suffice my needs.
Regarding the height of the stoneborn: Yeah, stoneborns are a rare caste of dwarves (some even say they aren't really dwarves and are animated stone statues) and are naturally taller than the ordinary dwarf. I wanted to transfer the goblin:orc relation to the dwarf:stoneborn one.

Regarding the brewer: Yeah, you are probably right, there was some pixel-rubbish at his torso, so i tried to clean that sprite up a bit, gave him a short sword (to pronounce the melee-oriented nature of the dwarves) and added an advancement, the L2 Dwarvish Brewmaster that has a poisoned sword and is bulkier.

And then there is the Dwarvish Saboteur, a L2 hero unit that no unit can advance into and that can't advance itself. He got the nightstalk ability as well as "surprise attack" ability, that inhibs the reaction of the defender, when the saboteur attacks. He has no melee attack.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Postby Masterchief40k » August 15th, 2014, 5:33 pm

nice and i like the bloody knife of the brewmaster
Masterchief40k

Postby Kwandulin » August 28th, 2014, 11:26 am

Hello,

thanks for the comment, masterchief. The "blood" on the sword is not blood, though. It is teamcoloured, so it will be red/green/blue/etc. depending on which side controls the unit (just as the poison in the flask itself).

The last few days i worked on an UMC L3 advancement for the Gryphon Master: The Gryphon Thunderlord. I tried to logically continue the gryphon rider line, e.g. new headgear and armor for the rider + additional armor for the gryphon. His claw attack is a bit stronger (18-2) and he has an additional lightning strike attack (25-1 magical).
gryphon-thunderlord.png

Kind regards
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Postby Kwandulin » September 6th, 2014, 2:07 pm

Hey,
personally, i never liked the idea of having outlaw humans mixed with dwarves, so i thought about an adequate alternative that fills their thematical niche.

The Dwarvish Scoundrel is a cheap unit with a 7-2 pierce ranged attack and the marksman ability. He has no melee attack.
scoundrel.png

The Dwarvish Headhunter is the advancement. Its ranged attack is a bit stronger and he still has no melee attack.
headhunter.png
Last edited by Kwandulin on March 30th, 2015, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Re: Sulfur's Sprite Blacksmith (Duneworm)

Postby Kwandulin » October 26th, 2014, 8:12 am

Hello,

since the khalifate will be officially released with v.1.12.0, I thought it'd be a nice idea to create a non-human inhabitant of the great deserts in the south: the dune worm (playing with clichés).

The sprite is based upon the sprite of the Sea Serpent.
It probably still needs some work (mostly on the head-part), but i am not quite sure how to improve it.

Kind regards
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Next

Return to Art Workshop