Draconian Era - Art thread (Or lack of art thread)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
siddh

Re: Draconian Era - Art thread (Or lack of art thread)

Post by siddh »

Added the watchdog image thanks to Patch :) And created images for the wolves in the era. Also the era has been updated on both servers again so you can check them out.. :)
Attachments
Timber wolf for Cabal :)
Timber wolf for Cabal :)
cabal_timber_wolf.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5279 times
Wolf for the ranger's cove :)
Wolf for the ranger's cove :)
cove_wolf.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5279 times
siddh

Post by siddh »

Patch wrote:
If it's ok with you I would like to use these images for the Chadzin Watchdog?
Ah no need to ask for permission, I made them for this era.
Ps. Oh actually it seems your idea was exactly that watchdog->guarddog :D
Certainly.

I'll work on putting the TC to them, and making a tad smaller the tail of the Guarddog.
I don't really have much experience on cats(Lynx) but if I can, I'll give it a go.
Also, what's a
Boor with mace
?
I changed the watchdog to advance to gaurddog and used picture number 3 for the guarddog. I don't think it needs teamcolor, I think it's great already, but if you want to add TCs then I don't have any problem with that :D The lynx seems like a difficult subject.

Boor with a mace... I'm not sure what it should be, but it should be a mundane type of unit. I'm thinking it might be a viking type, crude helmets, perhaps furry clothing, and well a mace :D
GL_Network

Post by GL_Network »

siddh wrote:I changed the watchdog to advance to gaurddog and used picture number 3 for the guarddog. I don't think it needs teamcolor, I think it's great already, but if you want to add TCs then I don't have any problem with that :D The lynx seems like a difficult subject.
For the teamcolor thing, I tried my hand at adding a colored covering on the watchdog's back. It is not as good as I expected, but it may be a quick way to achieve it. Still wondering whether I should try something similar on the head or the tail instead.
TCed_Watchdog.png
TCed_Watchdog.png (1.31 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

I'm not the author... But what about a bog collar? The attack dog could have spikes comming out of his.
Patch

Post by Patch »

TC'd.

Ghoul Servant picked my attention...
Attachments
Level 0. Watchdog. Like it?
Level 0. Watchdog. Like it?
Watchdog.png (1.41 KiB) Viewed 5245 times
Level 1. Guarddog. I liked the helmet thing, but I'll continue to test stuff.
Level 1. Guarddog. I liked the helmet thing, but I'll continue to test stuff.
Guarddog.png (1.69 KiB) Viewed 5245 times
Level 2. the Fightdog.
Level 2. the Fightdog.
Fightdog.png (1.85 KiB) Viewed 5245 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

So... as he levels up, the dog gets a boxing helmet, then a banana necklace?
Just kidding, they're not bad, and the base unit is pretty cool, but the higher-level sprites should be slightly redrawn, so that they get a bit bigger with each level. At least a slight redraw for each level, instead of just dressing up the doll. It will help the player know what is going on.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
siddh

Post by siddh »

I think these are nicely done :) But I also think it works better without the TC. Perhaps if a third advancement class (level2) is added then using image 3 would be a good idea, but for now I think the lesser levels can do without the TCs? What do you think?
Patch

Post by Patch »

Alright, Watchdog and Guarddog without TC. But yesterday I saw an indians vs cowboys movie, enough to realize I should make him a feather necklace. I'll try doofus-01's advise and redraw it for higher levels.
siddh

Post by siddh »

Patch wrote:Alright, Watchdog and Guarddog without TC. But yesterday I saw an indians vs cowboys movie, enough to realize I should make him a feather necklace. I'll try doofus-01's advise and redraw it for higher levels.
I think the dog is a hard case to add teamcolors to, as dogs normally wouldn't have teamcolors. I think it's a pretty creative method of doing that, but still. :D

In the meanwhile here's an image for Sublime Cabinet's Magus :D
Attachments
This was hard :D
This was hard :D
sublime_magus.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5173 times
Patch

Post by Patch »

Alrighty. Servant ghoul is almost done. I can't figure what to do with the mace :hmm: ... and the belt/armor might be lacking.
Redid the Guarddog as suggested by doofus-01, I like it. Do you?
Also changed the colors of Watchdog and Guarddog.
Attachments
Watchdog new colors.
Watchdog new colors.
Watchdog.png (1.53 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
Guarddog.
Guarddog.
Guarddog.png (1.7 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
I think it's one of the best sprites I've done.
I think it's one of the best sprites I've done.
ghoul-servant.png (2.28 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
siddh

Post by siddh »

I think the ghoul is great, nice one :) I already updated it on the server, and also the guarddog. I forgot to change the watchdog though :oops:

Ps. Updated the watchdog. :D
siddh

Post by siddh »

Started doing a portrait for the magus, how do you like it so far? :D This is based on hte unit icon, and not the other way around :doh: . Simply enlargened the tophalf, but it feels hard this way! :oops:
Attachments
magus_portrait.png
magus_portrait.png (978.75 KiB) Viewed 5127 times
siddh

Post by siddh »

Continued and made some progress. Darn this is hard :D

Ears or no ears? :D
Attachments
Aargh
Aargh
magus_portrait_fails.png (978.75 KiB) Viewed 5097 times
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

head should be smaller relative to the rest of the body.

the hilights on the chestpiece and the black shirt make no sense to me.

overall the entire body/clothing doesn't look 3d, it looks like someone draw a bunch of brush swooshes and then tried to make them symmetrical, not like someone tried to represent a 3d body/clothing
siddh

Post by siddh »

Blarumyrran wrote:head should be smaller relative to the rest of the body.

the hilights on the chestpiece and the black shirt make no sense to me.

overall the entire body/clothing doesn't look 3d, it looks like someone draw a bunch of brush swooshes and then tried to make them symmetrical, not like someone tried to represent a 3d body/clothing
You're being rather critical, but that's alright I guess. If the highlights don't make sense to you, then that's fine, it's a statement about you. I'm not sure if I'll finish the chestpiece, but as of now the "swooshes" are sketchy, if you know what I mean. And the headsize is fine with this character. :) Sounds like someone is trying to appear perceptive by stating the obvious. "Oh my this one seems to have an unusually large head! How very perceptive of me! I bet nobody else has noticed!" :D "Oh these sketch part with the brush swoops look like they're brush swoops! Oh look at me I'm so wise!" "Oh I cant understand these highlights!"

Well to be honest I was going to do something about the headsize, but I was going to leave it unusually large anyways. I just found this commenter so annoying that I said something else instead. Besides it's a little too obvious anyway. :D

Ps. Well I'm sorry for replying like this :D But I see the comment as derogatory and ill-tempered, rather than constructive criticism or artistic opinion, due to the way the argument is constructed. In anycase there's plenty of problems with the picture, and those certainly are not the only ones someone could come up with. For an example:

The character looks like he/she has very heavy skull. Since it's an elf, and a mage, I think it's fine that the head looks larger in terms of body proportions ~ elves are slender built ~ and also it's a mage so you might want to give a slight emphasis on the head. The eye sockets are too large. I don't like the eyes at all but I don't think I can even manage to produce what I was really going for there. The self-turning page is looking terrible. Left shoulder/chest are mispositioned. Ears are too faraway from the head (well that was due to laziness). Cape doesn't look like it's cape in over the shoulders part. Inside view of the cape is mostly blank. Wrists are incorrectly done. The sketch for the bracelet is deformed. The line outlined book is incorrectly sketched. Pages have miscoloration. Book's position regarding the holding carrying is incorrect, slightly. Thickness of the sleeve is incorrect with the left hand. Ring is pointing into incorrect direction and is not in line with the finger. Hands look misdrawn rather than androgynous. The chest is very vague, it is supposed to be an armor like chestpiece, which is very ornamental. The idea is that the cloak or cape is attached to the chest piece via somekind of accesories, that go with the chest. The brushes though are more like sketches. The wrists and hands look bad, there's a lot of problems with a lots of things. It's also very easy to criticize and finds problems. :D
Last edited by siddh on March 25th, 2014, 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.