Draconian Era - Art thread (Or lack of art thread)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Draconian Era - Art thread (Or lack of art thread)

Post by doofus-01 »

Patch wrote:Alrighty. Servant ghoul is almost done. I can't figure what to do with the mace :hmm: ... and the belt/armor might be lacking.
Redid the Guarddog as suggested by doofus-01, I like it. Do you?
Also changed the colors of Watchdog and Guarddog.
That's the right idea. Maybe the palette could be changed though, maybe make one of them darker? It would be a simple way of making the two of them more obviously different from each other "at a glance".
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Patch

Post by Patch »

That's the right idea. Maybe the palette could be changed though, maybe make one of them darker? It would be a simple way of making the two of them more obviously different from each other "at a glance".
Done. Also raised the head of Guarddog, and put highlitghts on the neck, is it better this way(Should I also do it with Watchdog?) or not?
Also, finished Ghoul Servant. I think I might or might not work again on the armor, depends what comes to my mind...
Attachments
Guarddog new palette, raised head.
Guarddog new palette, raised head.
Guarddog.png (1.88 KiB) Viewed 5294 times
Ghoul servant new mace.
Ghoul servant new mace.
ghoul-servant.png (2.44 KiB) Viewed 5294 times
siddh

Post by siddh »

Patch wrote:
Done. Also raised the head of Guarddog, and put highlitghts on the neck, is it better this way(Should I also do it with Watchdog?) or not?
Also, finished Ghoul Servant. I think I might or might not work again on the armor, depends what comes to my mind...
That mace is brilliant :D

In the meanwhile I modified the default's ranger to be used as Cove's ranger, this was necessary simply due to the difference in weaponry, but while at it, it was nice to make slight modifications :D

- Drew a lynx, the problem here was and is that if the lynx is to be of a somewhat proper size, then the image is going to rather small, and that's basically what happened with this one. But I think it's fine, however it is difficult too see clearly in game. (I'm pretty sure, haven't tested yet actually :D)
Attachments
Very small?
Very small?
cove_lynx_y.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5251 times
cove_ranger_y.png
cove_ranger_y.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5279 times
SFault

Post by SFault »

siddh wrote: - Drew a lynx, the problem here was and is that if the lynx is to be of a somewhat proper size, then the image is going to rather small, and that's basically what happened with this one. But I think it's fine, however it is difficult too see clearly in game. (I'm pretty sure, haven't tested yet actually :D)
The Wesnoth style emphasizes the head quite a lot. Also, I guess the hands and feet are rather big compared to the body. Therefore, making a lynx of realistic proportions looks bit unclear. I would suggest to make it bit more comical and increasing the head and paw sizes.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
siddh

Post by siddh »

SFault wrote:
siddh wrote: - Drew a lynx, the problem here was and is that if the lynx is to be of a somewhat proper size, then the image is going to rather small, and that's basically what happened with this one. But I think it's fine, however it is difficult too see clearly in game. (I'm pretty sure, haven't tested yet actually :D)
The Wesnoth style emphasizes the head quite a lot. Also, I guess the hands and feet are rather big compared to the body. Therefore, making a lynx of realistic proportions looks bit unclear. I would suggest to make it bit more comical and increasing the head and paw sizes.
I think those are probably good advices :D Another option would be to make it larger I think.. :D

I made a slightly enlarged version where the headsize was slightly increased also. I think it's ok, but still rather unclear. I think though that is partially because the lynx's normal features are distracting and probably have several survival related camouflage functions, so a distant picture with pixels is probably rather challenging if you want to make it to look like a real lynx :D

I think I Could use these for level2 maybe? While at it, weakening the level1 lynx is probably required anyway. :D
Attachments
This also for comparison
This also for comparison
cove_lynx_y.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
lynx_large_bg.png
lynx_large_bg.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
lynx_large.png
lynx_large.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Wow. Very good! I love how it camoflaughes itself. maybe you should give it nightstalk or grassstalk (lol)

EDIT: I think it could work for a level 1 personally, just make the next one more wild and muscular and you'll be just fine.
siddh

Post by siddh »

I made a very small edit to the lynx and decided to use the larger version for level2... But perhaps it would've been better to use the larger one for l1 as well. ANyway I just made a tentative image for elven elementalist, frost, for sublime cabinet.

Added an image for Barbarian, Spear, Female. The spear barbarian is female only, while the sword is female/male, and the axe/hammer are both male. Can't say that the final resultw ould be what I was going for, but I think it's ok. Perhaps the male barbarians will be able to create a little bit more crudeness. :D

---

Tried doing an image in a different style. This was very quick to draw but totally doesnt look like it was from Wesnoth.. Think I'm gonna use it anyway for Chadzin mystic.
Attachments
Edited to create male version.<br />Ops I forgot the hand shadow :D
Edited to create male version.
Ops I forgot the hand shadow :D
test_style_male.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5152 times
Chadzin mystic, maybe? :D
Chadzin mystic, maybe? :D
test_style.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5153 times
horde_barbarian_spear.png
horde_barbarian_spear.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5162 times
Here's with BG since it's hard to see otherwise :D
Here's with BG since it's hard to see otherwise :D
element_ice_elf_bg.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5219 times
sublime_elementalist_elf.png
sublime_elementalist_elf.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5219 times
siddh

Post by siddh »

I scaled them to proper size and added shadows around their feet, and added the handshadow for the male version. I think these are usable but I think the sudden change of style might be rather unpleasant. Still, better than placeholders :)
Attachments
test_style_2.png
test_style_2.png (3.17 KiB) Viewed 5152 times
test_style_male_2.png
test_style_male_2.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5152 times
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

For the gnomes, you may want to use these graphics, which b_o made for my RTS:

These sprites are licensed under the GPLv2, so it's no problem using them for Wesnoth add-ons.

Although the style differs from that of most sprites in Wesnoth, there are (to my knowledge) no gnome graphics made in the Wesnoth style yet, so this is at least a way to give your gnome units graphics.

Each frame in the spritesheets is 72x72, and the violet tones are the team color. You would need to make the team color into Wesnoth's usual magenta or create a new violet team color [color_palette] in WML, and then split the spritesheet into its component frames in order to use them in your add-on.
siddh

Post by siddh »

created a male barbarian :D

--

regarding the gnomes, I'm not sure if I'm up to animating these units yet, but otherwise they might be usable, problem is they dont have the correct items and wardrobe in a sense. Although perhaps that graybearded one with the hammer would fit the bill for the tinkerer :D

I edited one of them, so it's alright if I use this image for the gnome tinker?
Attachments
:d
:d
emberforge_gnome_tinker.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5092 times
for comparison :D
for comparison :D
horde_barbarian_spear.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5138 times
horde_barbarian_sword_y.png
horde_barbarian_sword_y.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5138 times
SFault

Post by SFault »

You might want to use more outlines and less colors + transparency. Currently the sprites are quite smudgy.

Here's a quick&dirty edit to demonstrate the effect of outlines.
Attachments
Tiny outlines
Tiny outlines
emberforge_gnome_tinkerOUTLINED.png (762 Bytes) Viewed 5085 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

siddh wrote:I edited one of them, so it's alright if I use this image for the gnome tinker?
Of course, the gnomes I posted are under the GPLv2, after all. Just remember to credit the artist who created them, b_o.

I'm glad I could be of help :)
siddh

Post by siddh »

Somehow I ended up doing a new image for the gnome. I think it's in part because I don't know how these licenses work. Personally I don't somehow like outlining, dunno, it's not a big deal anyway
Attachments
emberforge_gnome_tinker.png
emberforge_gnome_tinker.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5070 times
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

GPL is the same license that is used for Wesnoth and all it's art.

I intended to use this for part of my campaign, but I now I'm not to sure anymore. Care to use it as a gnome?
Attachments
troll-trouble-maker.png
troll-trouble-maker.png (1.71 KiB) Viewed 5035 times
siddh

Post by siddh »

dipseydoodle wrote:GPL is the same license that is used for Wesnoth and all it's art.

I intended to use this for part of my campaign, but I now I'm not to sure anymore. Care to use it as a gnome?
So far there are only 2 gnomes in the era (since the Gnome Spy is not currently included) and I think the previous gnome is usable for the tinker. I also just made a fairly quick version of the gnome elementalist, simply by brushing over the tinker. :D Waht do you think?
Attachments
sublime_elementalist_gnome.png
sublime_elementalist_gnome.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5002 times