Artwork

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
anl93

Artwork

Post by anl93 »

Im searching for all possible unit arts in wesnoth (add-ons included).i need it for my pen and paper game.i will draw cause i find its 1-quite easy to draw 2-nice arts and 3-rank system is very attractive.so any help appreciated.Thanks.
Telchin

Re: Artwork

Post by Telchin »

Well, I'm not sure if you know it, but in case you don't, you can find art for all Wesnoth units in your Wesnoth folder. First find the game directory
  • For default era units look into data/core/images/units (or if you want unit portraits data/core/images/portraits)
  • For units from mainline campaigns look into data/campaings, find the campaign's folder and it should have some images folder in it.
  • For units from add-ons look into userdata/data/add-ons, find the add-on's folder and it also should have some images folder inside.
If you want to see what custom units various eras and campaigns include, look at Wesnoth unit database.
There is also a library of user art, but it contains mostly old or unfinished artwork.
I'm not sure from your description of "my pen and paper game", if it's just you and your friends, or if you want to distribute it somehow. In the latter case make sure to obey the license (GPL).
I hope that helps. :)
anl93

Post by anl93 »

well thanks i found what i need in the given link
i mean real pen and paper because we like old-school fun.plus i have some works that on my own about 30-40 finished monster artwork it just i just don't know how to pass them on computer and don't know how to make a computer game.so we stick to old paper games.at least somethimes.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

FYI you can also print the sprites out if you have a little Gimp experience. They look pretty cool on paper, plus 4x6 photo prints are cheap :D
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Is this web page with autors of arts gonna be updated some day :P ? I see there links to autors with 2 artworks, i got more than 2 already :D...
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

And also when we talk about graphics and searching them, could be great to see on this forum option to search on full forum graphics/images/etc :D... Cause im sure they are still some forgotten units images which could be used again or even improved.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

ChaosRider wrote:And also when we talk about graphics and searching them, could be great to see on this forum option to search on full forum graphics/images/etc :D... Cause im sure they are still some forgotten units images which could be used again or even improved.
If you rebuild it, they will come...
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

It would be neat to have a resource repo like http://www.blendswap.com/

But that is a pretty huge undertaking. There is a ton of great art buried in these forums though :hmm:
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

it would be cool, but only if every user who submits something tags, classifies and checks if it isn't already submitted, the art himself himself :hmm: It would in every case require very much work
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Yeah, I was a blenderhead back in the beginning days of Blendswap, so I understand the logistics and difficulties. Just dreaming ^_^
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Digging in the history, dusting off some old threads — Look what I found!

There already were such projects once, both linked in this thread: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33902
The problem with both was the lack of participation. Almost nobody went ahead and added images, or even used the collection, so it quietly died. Neither the mentioned Wesnoth Repository nor averyimaginativename's web gallery are up anymore, and the fact that nobody has complained yet speaks for the uselessness of such a project. At least if not enough people collaborate.
On the 1.11 add-on server there still is my collection of story images which could be used for such a project. Sadly, we did not see (m?)any new story images pop up in the art threads during the last year.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Crendgrim wrote:Almost nobody went ahead and added images, or even used the collection, so it quietly died. Neither the mentioned Wesnoth Repository nor averyimaginativename's web gallery are up anymore, and the fact that nobody has complained yet speaks for the uselessness of such a project.
I think it's because you are trying to serve a strange demographic, where the author cares enough to venture out of recycling mainline images, but not enough to try to make their own. For most of us amateurs, whatever we draw is not good enough, compared to much (but not all) of mainline, for others to want to re-use. For most authors, just grab something from mainline, end of story. I used to download add-ons with somewhat large file sizes to see what was going on with UMC artwork, but what I saw was that the vast majority of kilobytes were duplicates from mainline, so I've given up on that (though there are some with original art, so don't let me discourage anyone from looking).

So, between the forums and add-on server, the desired artwork either exists or it doesn't, the UMC authors will either try to find it or they won't. Don't lose any sleep over trying to force a marriage of the two.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects