ChaosRider arts!!!

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Adamant14

Re: ChaosRider arts!!!

Post by Adamant14 »

The animation for the Soulless Siege Mauler looks excellent.
Great job. :)
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

I try to make them look more living those already forgotten by the other units. Right now below i post animation for Merman Warrior King & Merman Hoplite:
warrior_king.gif
warrior_king.gif (13.74 KiB) Viewed 7751 times
warrior_king.7z
(33.33 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
hoplite.gif
hoplite.gif (9.43 KiB) Viewed 7751 times
hoplite.7z
(22.77 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
All.gif
All.gif (335.94 KiB) Viewed 7751 times
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Your animations are smooth enough, but they have a problem. The motion is not exaggerated enough, at least in the merfolk. Also, they are frozen at the waist, so they look odd. You should be modeling them more on the mainline fighter. Look how stretched out he gets:
fighter-attack-4.png
fighter-attack-4.png (1.03 KiB) Viewed 7696 times
You need to do that to get your animations considered for mainline.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

I agree that they could looks better but this require more time, maybe when the holidays start. Also they are moving in game when they attack, they dont stand on one hex but move between two hexes. At the end i think I'm still in the crawling stage in the graphic as you can see on higher posted animations but below im gonna post another one (in my MWC addon its Ancient Ogre):
ancient_ogre.gif
ancient_ogre.gif (19.96 KiB) Viewed 7654 times
ancient_ogre.7z
(37.43 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
If anyone think that can improve here posted animation then feel free to try it :]. I do not prohibit anyone, I even encourage to do it if you got time.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
catgirl_ranger

Post by catgirl_ranger »

Nice to see the hoplite animation, I like that unit, hopefuly now it'll get used more. :mrgreen:

Also, didn't know before that you'd done an animation for the therian shaman (or whatever that sprite originally was), I did a teamcolor for it a few years back and could put the TC sash on it (don't know if the TC staff gem would work right).
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Made a feeble attempt to correct the balance of the movement.
When hand goes back, the body moves forward to balance it.
Assuming a general forward movement, when hand moves forward, the body stops moving forward to balance it.
Otherwise the movement would look like movement in computer games where everything moves in the same direction at the same time, defying Newton's laws (should be easy if you try to think about the third one).
Attachments
ancient_ogre.gif
ancient_ogre.gif (8.76 KiB) Viewed 7455 times
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Homunculus, have you tried to lean your body forward and punch forward simultaneously? Not sure how it's about your anatomy, but I can do that easily. Arms are far lighter than the torso, so the recoil from moving arms that affects the body is tiny. The actual application of the 3rd law of Newton that's missing here is that the recoil from torso isn't absorbed by the pelvis (in that case, his butt would move backwards) nor by his weight (in that case, his butt would move forwards, losing balance after the attack).
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

I have done some hitting sports, no need to worry, and I understand what you are writing abut.
The ogre seems to have massive arms, by the way.

Of course the forward movement would need to be stopped somehow, but I didn't want to make a complicated mess out of it, just isolated one case there: the body is pulling the hand with the same force that the hand is pulling the body. I don't even mean it should be better than the original, might just be something to consider when doing next animations.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

As for now also below is defense animation for atronachs:
atronachs-defense.gif
atronachs-defense.gif (2.91 KiB) Viewed 6889 times
Last edited by ChaosRider on January 14th, 2015, 10:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Ok, but why this ancient ogre is slim? Where is his stomach? About a shade of weapon while attack, i dont like to hide units body after it, thats why i do it transparent. At the end i think his navel is not moving while attack.

I dont have much time now for any gimp fun but i made something what could be called in future base image for 4 lvl devling... With 4 hands, 2 some bloody blades, still i dont have name for this one (sneak ---> lurker ---> cutter ---> ritual cutter ---> ???)
not named.png
not named.png (1.32 KiB) Viewed 7089 times
Edit:

Also i created 4 lvl for sun protector by modifying already existing as a gif file unit. I dont remember where exactly i found it, but now its available in MWC v1.4.7.
gold protector.gif
gold protector.gif (20.66 KiB) Viewed 6974 times
Edit2:

Now slowly after a long time of absence is created animation for atronachs, as for now defense and bite attack (maybe later i will do for his claws):
atronachs.gif
atronachs.gif (7.91 KiB) Viewed 6887 times
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

So, below 4 handed huge wose...
wose-ancient1.png
wose-ancient1.png (12.33 KiB) Viewed 6882 times
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

It looks great, good job!
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

For a while I thought that you've made an awesome continuation of the Wose unit line, but then...

I found the image quite huge for practical application and decided to shrink it to 50% of its original size. And it did not look quite so good later. Most of the sprite was identical to Ancient Wose, with both hands duplicated and added on the other side and half of the branches were copied from other parts of the tree. This would not be so bad, but the problem is that some weird smooth resizing algorithms were used and as a result, the new parts differ in style and the difference is horribly visible is shrunk to 50%.

However, shrinking it to 55% or 45% did not produce the effect so it's not so disappointing after all (although that needs smooth resizing that is quite evil for sprites).
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

I didn't notice the size when I looked at it on my phone. It's huge!
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

After drawing that giant wose I also tried to scale it, then sharpen and even at the end I tried to make darker parts of this wose which I changed by modifying shadow and contrast but the end result was the average. I will just redraw again ancient wose from default wesnoth because as you could guess I also am looking for next advances for units from MWC (most the one are from main era of Wesnoth 1.10
Spoiler:
).

Below you got version 100x100.
Next Advance For Ancient Wose.png
Next Advance For Ancient Wose.png (16.61 KiB) Viewed 6816 times
Spoiler:
This wose changed form got bigger afro lol...
http://units.wesnoth.org/1.10/pics/core ... ncient.png
http://forums.wesnoth.org/download/file.php?id=66710

OK! My first portrait heh:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Iris on January 21st, 2015, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.