4 lvl for Warden :]...

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ChaosRider

4 lvl for Warden :]...

Post by ChaosRider »

Do not be brutal, it's my debut ... His weapon is a bit changed, tail longer, color changed... It took me some time...
Attachments
golden-warden.gif
golden-warden.gif (45.14 KiB) Viewed 5685 times
golden-warden.rar
(132.46 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: 4 lvl for Warden :]...

Post by Iris »

Art for user-made content does not belong in Art Contributions.

Moved to Art Workshop.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Wasnt sure in which it should be (Art Contributions/Art Workshop) - i thought mainline means everything what concerns units from default wesnoth, also avaible highers lvls which still dont exists :].
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Some tips and ideas:

- An higher level unit should be instantly recognisable, and this is done by two things: 1) It is bigger, both in height and width (or mass, or bulk). No need to go crazy on this, 2-6 pixels high is likely enough to be noticeable. And 2), change is posture and gear enough. Higher level units should generally have bolder/more imposing postures, and their gear should be noticeably cooler. I don't feel your gear is.

- Concentrate on having a good base frame before working on anims, even if in this case it is just slight tweaks to existing frames. Having to redo all the frames all the time because your base frame must be changed is not really time-efficient... But in the end, it is your time, so do however you please with it :)

- I'm not sure I like the halberd blade having spikes on it. I'm not sure it would make it a more effective weapon (I suspect quite the opposite, in fact), and while the realism issue can be negated by the rule-of-cool, I'm not sure it really looks cooler either... But this is my personal opinion :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

A halberd as a weapon allows various kind of attacks and combines several weapons in one, that why it was made in the way it is. You can either use it for pulling riders (the hook at the end) down a horse and than use the sting to penetrate weak parts of the armor (the spike on the top). The blade however was to basically to make slashes on a longer distance, which is both effictive against cavallery and infantry.

So the spikes or razors on the blade would make it a devasting weapon against light armored units and would allow to use it as a pull weapon too, so I personally think this is ok. For your first animation this is nice start and it is proably better than anything I made thus far. Must have taken some time and I appreciate that.

Advices:
- the stabs looks good
- the slash does not - add more images to the slash
- maybe you could add some shadows and shining to the armor --> it now looks to much like a 'yellow armor'
- additionally try to make the colour a little bit brighter
- you might also add some armor parts which are not golden (for example black) to give the unit a little contrast.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Well it is a higher level warden. I am sure you copied all the frames from mainline so technically the animation should be sufficient even for the most notorius critics. Given the fact that this unit might serve a purpose in a user made campaign, I would call it finished, unless you really enjoy working on it over and over again. It definetely belongs in workshop and it is a really nice contribution to that. Hope there will be a campaign utilising this unit!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

This lvl 4 unit looks nice, but I'm against the colour-scheme. The greenish-yelllow shade makes the unit look kinda lame. Perhaps you add a bit of black and golden yellow style armour that makes the lvl4 Drake Guardian/Sentinel/High Protector similar to the elite caste of Blademasters. A description could be like: - Gold and Black armour distinguishes the elite of the Drake Wardens - the Drake Guadrians/Sentinels/High Protectors.... or something similar.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

How about such a sketch? Yes, now its a bit huge :P (200x330).
Attachments
Drake.png
Drake.png (22.27 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Im getting better in this :P, atleast unit is not that huge as on last image:
Attachments
uber-enforcer.rar
packed uber-enforcer - i know its not best, but it took me 4 hours lol, pretty lame heh... If anyone wish to can allways try make it better :D, atleast these colors :P.
(46.5 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
Gif... btw i discovered that gifs are created from many layers, but when you set them in gimp, they are read from down to up, first i thought they will be read from up to down...
Gif... btw i discovered that gifs are created from many layers, but when you set them in gimp, they are read from down to up, first i thought they will be read from up to down...
uber-enforcer.gif (39.47 KiB) Viewed 4976 times