Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
HaChol

Re: Peasants And maybe some other stuff

Post by HaChol »

Hi Zoomo!

Please look at my sprites, i only dabbled them from existing sprites, for i am an amateur with graphics manipulation programs GIMP:
This is the peasant of my new ivrim faction which i uploaded 1 weeks ago. It has a shovel and a sword on the belt, which is animated drawn prior to an attack
This is the peasant of my new ivrim faction which i uploaded 1 weeks ago. It has a shovel and a sword on the belt, which is animated drawn prior to an attack
ivri_idle.png (3.92 KiB) Viewed 6524 times
This is a very early version of a war chariot, which should be boardable(unboardable in the future in gameplay
This is a very early version of a war chariot, which should be boardable(unboardable in the future in gameplay
warchariot-3_idle.png (9.36 KiB) Viewed 6524 times
A sprite of my phoenix, which burns itself to ashes and is reborn in idle
A sprite of my phoenix, which burns itself to ashes and is reborn in idle
phoenix-7.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 6524 times
The fruit of a righteous man is the tree of life, and the wise man acquires souls.
And I said, I will perish with my nest, and I will multiply days as the chol.
Zoomo

Re: Peasants And maybe some other stuff

Post by Zoomo »

I'm kind of getting back into Wesnoth spriting, maybe.
I had a go at remaking desert archers to go with the shaman sprite that someone made:
archer+female.png
archer+female.png (3.98 KiB) Viewed 6374 times
archer.png
archer.png (3.98 KiB) Viewed 6374 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Zoomo's Art

Post by doofus-01 »

The archers look nice, but I'm having a difficult time reading their heads/faces. What are you trying to do there?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Zoomo

Post by Zoomo »

They're supposed to be wearing a bandana over their head and mouth.
goblinThing

Post by goblinThing »

It might be a good idea to exaggerate the bandannas. Also, the positioning of the legs look a bit...odd. It looks like they're posing to show off their shoes like a store mannequin, instead of readying themselves for deadly combat. You might also make the top abs on the male archer a little less prominent.

Constructive criticism aside, these are fairly well done. I'm looking foreword to seeing their animations! :D
Zoomo

Post by Zoomo »

I changed the females sprite a goo amount taking what you guys said into consideration. Along with the changes you guys suggested I also made it less revealing and a more realistic type of clothes for a fighting type of unit to wear. Before I had based the clothing more on the shaman's clothing, but it really doesn't make sense for a unit that would be running around in the full sun all the time. If this is better I'll do the same sort of thing with the male version.
Attachments
archer+female.png
archer+female.png (5.14 KiB) Viewed 6296 times
goblinThing

Post by goblinThing »

That looks better to me. Don't forget a shadow...

Also, if you want to try getting this in mainline, you'll need to put it in "art contributions" instead of "art workshop" so that the mainline art people can run it through a more rigorous critique.
Zoomo

Post by Zoomo »

Thanks. Yeah I just decided to wait on making a shadow until I thought it seemed finished.
About posting it to the art contributions, is there a thread which stuff like this should be posted in? Or should I just make a new one?

Anyways I made a new unit who has armour made out of a really hard wood:
Iron wood soldier.png
Iron wood soldier.png (4.89 KiB) Viewed 6248 times
The team colouring was added right at the end so there isn't much. :P
goblinThing

Post by goblinThing »

Snazzy. The team coloring isn't a huge deal; don't worry about it too much. (Though, if you wanted more, it could go on the horn-things or non-visible side of the shield for attack/defend anims.)

The size of the hip armor and torso seems disproportionately small compared to the legs, especially the one on the deft. I'm not use how to best fix it, but it does need fixing. I also feel like his right-side foot could be angled toward the shield a bit more.

Overall, I really like the style of the armor and spear. Good job!
Zoomo

Post by Zoomo »

Tweaked with various parts of the armour, how about now?
Iron wood soldier.png
Iron wood soldier.png (4.92 KiB) Viewed 6213 times
goblinThing

Post by goblinThing »

The proportions are much, much better. You've done something to the contrast, though, which makes the armor feel a little washed-out. It'd be good to increase the contrast a little, if you can.

I really like the style of the armor, and am looking foreward to the second level!
Zoomo

Post by Zoomo »

I'm going to call this final. Now should I make animations or the next level? ... Hmmm...
Iron wood soldier.png
Iron wood soldier.png (4.9 KiB) Viewed 6160 times
Zoomo

Post by Zoomo »

Level Up!
Iron wood knight.png
Iron wood knight.png (3.97 KiB) Viewed 6145 times
I'm thinking the final level will have a flower on the hat which grants a ranged attack, for now it's just a bud though.
Zoomo

Post by Zoomo »

A new unit to go with the last two. This one is more of a magic user. It was originally going to be a level 1 but ended up looking more like a level two. I'll just make a toned down version probably. The Iron wood is not only relatively hard for a wood, but incredibly flame proof. While the outside bark will burn away slowly it has an insulated trunk which makes it incredibly good for burning. This unit has taken advantage of this and uses it much like their other magic, wearing a gauntlet of fire.
Iron wood warlock.png
Iron wood warlock.png (5.71 KiB) Viewed 6084 times
goblinThing

Post by goblinThing »

It'd probably be good to tilt his staff a little more to make it match the angle of the cloak. His head also looks a little squashed.
For the toned-down version, you could easily make him look less dynamic by closing the cloak.