Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Vyncyn's sprites

Post by Vyncyn »

I want to make a new faction for my era. The faction is about humans and animals who live in mountains. This unit is an falcon-trainer. It´s not complete yet, but please tell me what you like and dislike about it.
Attachments
This is the trainer without the bird, the hand with the knife is quite crappy and I plan to change the feet too.
This is the trainer without the bird, the hand with the knife is quite crappy and I plan to change the feet too.
Greifentrainer.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 18783 times
You don´t need to tell me how stupid the bird looks :), but please give me advice how to improve it.
You don´t need to tell me how stupid the bird looks :), but please give me advice how to improve it.
Greifentrainer2.png (2.16 KiB) Viewed 18783 times
Last edited by Vyncyn on December 27th, 2016, 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Re: Vyncyn sprites Mountain-humans

Post by Sleepwalker »

It's not stupid, the bird looks pretty good, though it could use a bigger head... I believe it would better fit the wesnoth style and it would be better readable. It might be hard to see against the game background.

The chest looks a bit flat. A quick fix would be to move the TC dot in the middle to the right a few pixels.

The concept is nice, the sprite just need some refining.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Putting the falcon at a 3/4 view so that only one wing shows will make it look more dynamic than a straight-on view- the knife-dagger thing could also have some tilt/rotation so it's not so square to the viewer. As a spriting beginner and one who appreciates great sprite art (cough sleepwalker's cough) I say great job on these so far, looking great :geek:
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

I changed the knife and the bird. So tell me, which one do is better?
Attachments
I changed the knife and the bird to a 3/4 view
I changed the knife and the bird to a 3/4 view
Greifentrainer.png (2.65 KiB) Viewed 18720 times
The head of this bird is slightly bigger. I also changed the knife (obviously)
The head of this bird is slightly bigger. I also changed the knife (obviously)
Greifentrainer2.png (2.44 KiB) Viewed 18720 times
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

falcons have a very characteristic look, very recognizable. probably one of the reasons they are so iconic.
http://mikeatkinson.net/peregrinefalcon.htm
you might want to notice the short thick neck, horizontal body, downwards tail, big "trousers" on legs.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

homunculus wrote:falcons have a very characteristic look, very recognizable. probably one of the reasons they are so iconic.
http://mikeatkinson.net/peregrinefalcon.htm
you might want to notice the short thick neck, horizontal body, downwards tail, big "trousers" on legs.
I wasn´t sure if the bird should be a falcon or a fictional bird (Since we can´t know which animals live in wesnoth).
However, thanks for your help. I changed the picture of the bird to make it look more falcon-like.
Attachments
falcon.png
falcon.png (822 Bytes) Viewed 18701 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Nice idea!

There is a bit of pillowshading going on though, so I did a quick revision. It's quite far from perfect, so don't use it as a prime example, but hopefully you can see the differences and know what to avoid.
Didn't touch the bird or the boots.  Also, was not really sure what you wanted with the hair/hat, so I took a guess.
Didn't touch the bird or the boots. Also, was not really sure what you wanted with the hair/hat, so I took a guess.
Greifentrainer.png (4.6 KiB) Viewed 18690 times
Your shadow is not correct, I think you were looking at an old sprite. Look at the newer mainline ones - it is purple and hard-edged.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

It looks, amazing! I really like the hat and the coat on his shoulders. But I think his shirt was a bit too flat, so I changed it. I also tried the a new bird and I made a different feather for his hat.

Edit: I changed the coat a bit and the colour of the falcon. Also I added a new unit called "Wolf Warrior"
Attachments
Falcon-trainer-2.png
Falcon-trainer-2.png (2.73 KiB) Viewed 18658 times
My latest version. I think i´m gonna leave him this way, exept for some changes with the shoes.
My latest version. I think i´m gonna leave him this way, exept for some changes with the shoes.
Falcon-trainer-3.png (2.74 KiB) Viewed 18658 times
wolf-warrior.png
wolf-warrior.png (2.17 KiB) Viewed 18658 times
Last edited by Vyncyn on December 27th, 2016, 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

The new dagger looks much better, as does the raptor. This new guy is coming along well- keeping an eye on this thread.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Here is my rough idea of the lvl 3 unit of the Falcon-trainer. It still needs a lot of work (especially the wings). I will add an eagle on his arm and maybe change his hat and shoes later.
Tell me, what you think about it and what I need to improve.
birdman.png
birdman.png (2.83 KiB) Viewed 18608 times
Edit:
doofus-01 wrote:Your shadow is not correct, I think you were looking at an old sprite. Look at the newer mainline ones - it is purple and hard-edged.
I fixed the shadow and changed a few things other things.
Attachments
1st and 2nd lvl are nearly finished(exept for the shoes, but I hate making shoes). I´ll make a new bird for the 3rd lvl and change his wings and the legs.
1st and 2nd lvl are nearly finished(exept for the shoes, but I hate making shoes). I´ll make a new bird for the 3rd lvl and change his wings and the legs.
bird-trainer evolution.png (6.59 KiB) Viewed 18576 times
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

I'd take a look at the gryphon and see how the feathers are made there, right now the wings you got don't look like the bird variety. Zerovirus has made some sprites with feathers on them too.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Sleepwalker wrote:I'd take a look at the gryphon and see how the feathers are made there, right now the wings you got don't look like the bird variety. Zerovirus has made some sprites with feathers on them too.
Thanks for your advice.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

I didn´t had much time to complete my sprites, but I made some images for the other units.
Spoiler:
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I like this grouping as a whole, but I really want to see some purples in the shadows, in particular in the inner wing. Also the char's right wing is forming a tangent with the body, the angles/lines need to overlap/be less parallel more to create a sense of space. edit: this is in reference to the L3 winged guy
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Crow_T wrote:I like this grouping as a whole, but I really want to see some purples in the shadows, in particular in the inner wing. Also the char's right wing is forming a tangent with the body, the angles/lines need to overlap/be less parallel more to create a sense of space. edit: this is in reference to the L3 winged guy
Thanks for your help. I reworked both wings, but I don´t know what you mean by "purples in the shadows"