Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Rbuck

Additional artwork for the Galactic Empires era ground units

Post by Rbuck »

Greetings fellow artists,
this art is for inclusion in the Galactic Empires mod by Bob_the_Mighty.
But before I have it added, I would appreciate bugs in the artwork brought to light.
Constructive criticism is welcome.
Attachments
This unit also floats, but it fires one of two missiles out one of two tubes.
This unit also floats, but it fires one of two missiles out one of two tubes.
missile-boat.png (4.83 KiB) Viewed 6784 times
This unit floats around and fires cannons and lasers.
This unit floats around and fires cannons and lasers.
mech.png (4.92 KiB) Viewed 6784 times
Flameslash

Re: Additional artwork for the Galactic Empires era ground u

Post by Flameslash »

I couldn't tell the difference at first. Maybe you could redesign one of them slightly? A different cockpit or a 'fin' might be enough.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Is it meant to be asymmetric? It would look better if there was the same gun/wing box on both sides of the cockpit; and then the gun/wing box on the obscured side should be at least slightly visible.

The ducking pilot is very cool!

The shadow is not compliant with standard wesnoth shadows in shape (a standard wesnoth shadow has no "edges") & color.

If the blue oval under the ship is meant to be magic scifi fire coming out of a downwards-directed engine, then it should probably be at least slightly animated; if it's still then it might be confused for some glass bulb.
Rbuck

Post by Rbuck »

Flameslash wrote:
I couldn't tell the difference at first.
That is because I based the missile boat off the mech. I could redo the missile boat, once I get a better idea for the missile launchers.
Blarumyrran wrote:
Is it meant to be asymmetric?
At first, no, but when I drew the chassis for the mech I noticed that the left-side gun box would only protrude past the cockpit a pixel or two; I decided to leave that part out. I might draw the missile boat facing a little more towards the observer, enough to see that it has one launcher on each side.
Blarumyrran wrote:
The ducking pilot is very cool!
I didn't draw him. In fact, I borrowed the whole cockpit from the Servicer unit sprite, which Bob_the_Mighty took from Spacenoth.
Blarumyrran wrote:
The shadow is not compliant with standard wesnoth shadows in shape (a standard wesnoth shadow has no "edges") & color.

If the blue oval under the ship is meant to be magic scifi fire coming out of a downwards-directed engine, then it should probably be at least slightly animated; if it's still then it might be confused for some glass bulb.
The shadow should fade, then.
The blue oval is rocket exhaust (which, oddly enough, is its only melee weapon). I'll get on it.
Last edited by Rbuck on March 13th, 2013, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
A paintbrush is worth a thousand swords.
The average pen is equal to a sword, but a picture paints a thousand words.
Rbuck

Post by Rbuck »

A couple of anims for the Mech unit:
Attachments
An animation for the unit firing its laser.
An animation for the unit firing its laser.
anim-mech-laser.gif (11.54 KiB) Viewed 6679 times
The animation for this unit will, I hope, be a lot better in-game.
The animation for this unit will, I hope, be a lot better in-game.
anim-mech.gif (8.71 KiB) Viewed 6679 times
Rbuck

Post by Rbuck »

Here are two different missile boats, but I cannot decide which is really the better.
Please give me feedback on them and on which one you think is better.
If everyone likes the Speeder-like one, I will cannibalize the actual Speeder image.
Attachments
A missile boat similar to the mech unit.<br />The panel in front is only a utility panel, for repairs or loading ammunition.
A missile boat similar to the mech unit.
The panel in front is only a utility panel, for repairs or loading ammunition.
anim-missile-boat.gif (8.84 KiB) Viewed 6600 times
A missile boat like the Speeder unit.<br />The only part of the Speeder I really used was the cockpit.
A missile boat like the Speeder unit.
The only part of the Speeder I really used was the cockpit.
missile-boat.png (2.84 KiB) Viewed 6602 times
Mr_Kipula

Post by Mr_Kipula »

Hello friends. Well, I thought to make a science fiction themed addon. Unfortunately I have too many projects I (and overworked) but very little time to devote to this. I do not know if in the future I will use these ideas, but if here are good for something, I'll be glad someone to use.
scifi_units_mods.png
Rbuck

Post by Rbuck »

Mr_Kipula, thank you so much for that sprite pack. I don't think I can use them all, but I am positive that some of them will be extremely useful. Those walkers, for example; before I decided to make those Terran units hovering, I tried to make them more like the scifi "mech", with legs (the first one, with laser and cannon, still bears the name). However, there are several legged vehicles in your sprite set, which will come in handy.

Btw, I haven't heard much about the Galactic Empires mod recently. Does anyone know what has become of it?
Mr_Kipula

Post by Mr_Kipula »

Well, my friend. These sprites are not to be used as an obligation. It's just a job that has already been done, and it is always better than someone uses part of it, before they are dead. Glad you like, feel free to use whatever you want (all, part, or none). Also, maybe you can interest in one specific detail, and not the entire model. No problem, you can add, remove, edit, or just copy small details to add to your models. Again, feel free. :D

Regarding galactic empires, well, I am running the game in 1.10 version (this is the version available from ubuntu software center), and the addon is not working properly. :cry: It seems to contain several errors in compatibility with this version of the game. Perhaps the original authors should update the package.
Rbuck

Post by Rbuck »

I suppose that this isn't the place for it, but it's the only Galactic Empires forum currently active. Even though Galactic Empires is already complex enough.

I was thinking that, for 1.10 somebody might make a lvl2 worker unit, e.g. for Terrans, a bulldozer; for Vendeeni, a cyborg laborer on some kind of infernal machine; and for Iildari, an even bigger robot (Dwarthans not being operative, I left them out. Besides I can't think of anything they might have.)
These new units would have the ability to terraform a planet, like in ANL.

I thought of it when I read the old Galactic Empires thread where Bob_the_Mighty said that it was part ANL. In addition, who ever heard of a race that could travel the stars but was unable to change their planets to their liking?
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Huh... glad to see someone using the old scifi sprites. If anyone's interested I can supply the ones I tweaked for The War of Terrador. Don't have much time for it anymore, unfortunately...
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
Mr_Kipula

Post by Mr_Kipula »

Hello again!
I know that maybe this is not the right place, but I have not been able to resist comment. Dragonchampion, you are the author of "The war of Terrador"?! It was one of my favorite addons ... unfortunately does not work in BfW 1.10 ... I do not know how can update it (I just do cartoons ...), nothing can be done about it?
Rbuck

Post by Rbuck »

After a long period of labor (and a much longer period of other things) I present another contestant for the Rocketman to advance to - the Missile Walker.
I made most of it from one of the walker sprites which Mr_Kipula donated, so thank him for the good parts & blame me for the bad.
Please post your opinions of these different units-to-be, so I can decide which one to use.
Attachments
A missile walker as an advance for the Rocketman.
A missile walker as an advance for the Rocketman.
missile-walker.png (5.24 KiB) Viewed 6205 times