Gallery of One's Failures

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
homunculus

Re: Gallery of One's Failure

Post by homunculus »

Interesting, I thought you were talking about the huge gap between the legs all the time.
I mean, the legs might overlap instead (green = right leg, red = left leg)?
Maybe I overdid the angle, so maybe not quite like that.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (1.29 KiB) Viewed 5885 times
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Gallery of One's Failure

Post by artisticdude »

Also beware of shading the legs too much like straight cylinders... I know it can be hard to get definition on something this small (boy do I know it! :cry: ), but even if you only hint at details like knees and calf/thigh muscles through the way you shade the leg, it can go a long way in making it look less like a tube and more like an anatomically correct leg. Usually for a fairly neutral stance like this one, the knee will be the brightest part of the leg, and the lower leg (the part underneath the knee) will be darker than the upper leg (the part above the knee), although that is of course dependent on what position the leg is in.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Alternatic

Re: Gallery of One's Cyclopes

Post by Alternatic »

Hey guys!

I'm back from a long sleep...BUT...I've done some work! :wink:
I just wasn't able to force myself to continue the work mostly because of a lack of inspiration for the lvl3. I'm pretty much satisfied with the first two levels and now I do like the pose and the chest of the level 3 but it's legs ... those are really bad :( but worse, I don't know what to do about that. I also have to do some tweeks here and there but i think that they are the biggest problem. Whatever, here it goes: (plus some helmet studies and pallete)

Cyclops.png
Cyclops.png (11.35 KiB) Viewed 5798 times
There you go, be sure to comment! 8)
All mistakes included in the message above are intentional.
You can buy a version without mistakes for 5$ each.
Alternatic

Re: Gallery of One's Failures

Post by Alternatic »

Hey there,
I've been drawing a lot recently, but everything is just by far not comparable with the mainline and I just got a little frustrated :roll: and now I just don't know how to continue, so I thought I'll write this as an offer for anyone who needs a unit and I'll try to draw it. No promises that I'll finish it or that you'll like it, but I just think someone might need something like this...

OK, here's one of the better things I've done:

Untitled.gif
Untitled.gif (4.81 KiB) Viewed 5712 times
I know the other parts of the body have to move and they probably will but I just wanted to show. :wink:

Well, thanks for reading and be sure to comment!
Alternatic

Post by Alternatic »

Hello,

I have to admit that I'm quite disencouraged by the obvious lack of interest into this topic. Inspite of that fact I continued some work and here's a little something I've done to make myself a little happier. Hope you like it.
Whatever.png
Whatever.png (1.89 KiB) Viewed 5452 times
EDIT: Small tweek done
Last edited by Alternatic on July 26th, 2013, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
alluton

Post by alluton »

Could be used as townsfolk on some campaigns.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Alternatic wrote:I have to admit that I'm quite disencouraged by the obvious lack of interest into this topic. Inspite of that fact I continued some work and here's a little something I've done to make myself a little happier. Hope you like it.
Don't think like that. Art --any kind of art-- is something you do for yourself. Obviously, it's nice to get encouragement and feedback from other people, but if you don't enjoy it outside of that, what's the point? You just have to stay committed and work hard regardless. :)

That said, the sprite's pretty good! Some thoughts: his left arm should be a pixel or two higher to keep the perspective consistent, and I'd widen his torso a little.

Keep at it!
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I wouldn't get too bothered by the lack of activity here, this is one of the most quiet forums I've ever been on. Beyond the WML and scenario/MP sections it's crickets most of the time. :wink:
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Well your work looks good. Technically you could start to support UMC campaigns with your art. Make sure they want it first. For example doofus does not like contributions. He is a good artist by himself and wants to make everything alone.

Maybe check the Altraz Marineer? Or Girl Undead? A New Order is already getting lots of support.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Perhaps coming of the storm would be an option? Your first swordsman sprites remembered me of the campaign.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Alternatic

Post by Alternatic »

Hey guys!

Thanks for being supportive. You are of course alowed to use any of my creations in any of your projects, but I'd appreciate if you told me about it.

If there's anyone out there who'd like me to make a sprite for him just let me know in this topic or using PM!

And there comes another addition to my gallery(the legs are pretty much stolen from the new elves):
WarriorOfStrangeTrousersWhichAreMadeOutOfMetal.png
WarriorOfStrangeTrousersWhichAreMadeOutOfMetal.png (2.38 KiB) Viewed 5436 times
SFault

Post by SFault »

Alternatic wrote: And there comes another addition to my gallery(the legs are pretty much stolen from the new elves):
I'm sensing some pillow shading here and there. The light source seems to change drastically for the pants compared to the other parts.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

That looks pretty good, especially the helmet and the belt. However, the sword looks to me like it's behind the shoulder. Moving it out a bit might help, or maybe expanding the crossguard over the shoulder?
Alternatic

Post by Alternatic »

Hey guys!

I've done some editting on the sprite. Mainly just changing the helmet and the pants, plus trying to "push" the sword forward. It looks pretty cool ingame, but the sword is hidden behind the health bar. If anyone is interested in using it in his or her UMC than feel free to do that.
WarriorOfFailure.png
WarriorOfFailure.png (2.43 KiB) Viewed 5245 times
And again, if someone wants some art for his or her UMC just write me and I'll do my best to satisfy your need.

Have a nice day!
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

The helmet looks great, better than the old one.
And the sword really seems more in front.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl