Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Alternatic

Re: Gallery of One's Failure

Post by Alternatic »

Hi Guys,

I didn't have much time lately but yesterday I played with some stuff a little.

First of all I tried some things with my warrior.
lol.png
lol.png (3.84 KiB) Viewed 5529 times
The first one is the original, the second one is a shiny high-contrasted one and the third one is just an attempt for another pose.

I also tried making a new unit. I did a sketch for a flying harpy-sort-of creature and I'm looking for your opinions about it:
Anim.gif
Anim.gif (3.88 KiB) Viewed 5529 times

I'm also considering the possibility of starting an era. I'll probably start with a halfling faction.

Looking forward to YOUR comments!
All mistakes included in the message above are intentional.
You can buy a version without mistakes for 5$ each.
Piko555

Post by Piko555 »

Remember to anim also other parts of unit, not only the most important for the actual action.
alluton

Post by alluton »

Wings and the upward downward motion seems good. As already said other body needs some movement aswell.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Alternatic

Post by Alternatic »

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for your support, it made me continue the harpie:
Anim.gif
Anim.gif (3.95 KiB) Viewed 5455 times
-I raised contrast of the wings and tweeked them a bit
-I made the hands move and it also breathes

By the way, there is so much more to do when you're making an animated sprite...

I worked a little on the halflings but it isn't in the stage of being worth showing.

Please comment, it helps a lot!
Bye.
Piko555

Post by Piko555 »

After a while of looking at this sprite anim, I noticed the wings' move is assymetral. I'm too not sure about their angles - it just look a bit strangely to me. But anyway, I can't say this isn't cool.

Btw, some TC would be needed, maybe a waving flag attached to the leg?
Alternatic

Post by Alternatic »

Hi fellas!

I haven't written anything for some time mainly because I was strongly addicted to another game :oops: . I updated my OS and I didn't install the game again so now I have much more time, which I will hopefuly spend making Wesnoth stuff. So you can expect sprites and replies much often ^_^ .

And for this not to be just a plain text I continued the work on the halflings. As a first unit I made a Halfling Crossbowman. I am proud of this one, mainly because it starts to look more like the mainline units (of course not the quality but the style :annoyed: ). This is partly because I studied the mainline units on the pixel level rather then just observing them unzoomed as I used to do before. No more talking, here he goes:
Halfling Crossbowman.png
Halfling Crossbowman.png (1.32 KiB) Viewed 5340 times
I know he is small and halflings are supposed to be as tall as dwarves but I just wanted to make him smaller. Maybe I will call them Gnomes instead. He also has a quiver, which isn't logical to be on his back when he is using a crossbow but I just wanted to put something there ;) . I also noticed that he has too large head but that's normal with Wesnoth units I think.

Well, that's it for today. I've got carried away a bit though. Thanks.

Please comment! 8)
Piko555

Post by Piko555 »

I can't see anything gt fix in, but a tip for future - try to make sprites a bit more interesting, let them wear something more complex than a full plate armour.

Btw, which halfing uses crossbow? And which wears boots?! :shock:
Alternatic

Post by Alternatic »

Thanks for your reply! :D

I'm not entirely sure if you are saying that it is good or that it's bad but you are right about the armor. I'll keep that in mind when drawing the next sprite. About the crossbow: I'm pretty sure that in D&D it is a weapon they are good with. However, you are right about the boots :oops: .

I'm currently working on something else, so expect it soon!

Peace! :twisted:
Alternatic

Post by Alternatic »

Hello everyone,

As usually I did a new sprite and as usually I'm proud of it and I think that this one is another step forward :wink: . Well, it is a cyclops(btw.:I had no idea there's a S at the end, have you?) and he is holding or carrying a rock/boulder and he will maybe throw it in the future :D . I think the top part is really good in comparison to my previous work, however I have to admit that the head is half-frankenstained from a sprite I found somewhere. Even though I edited it a lot I'm still a little ashamed :oops: . The part below was really difficult and I spent the whole weekend trying to figure out what to do about it. You can see what I came up with but it hopefully isn't final :roll: . If anyone can help, I will appreciate that. And now ... here he goes:

Cyclops.png
Cyclops.png (1.92 KiB) Viewed 5238 times
I'm very seriously considering a start of an era so please tell me your opinions about it!

Now, just please don't be shy and tell me whatever you have to tell about anything I wrote even if it was "I don't like it" or something else... It really helps and I'm on a stage where every comment is useful.

Have a nice day full of comments! :mrgreen:
Addan-Shem

Post by Addan-Shem »

Made some edits. His body was leaning to the left and his left arm was too small. Also edited the shading a bit, not sure if mine is better or worse. :)
Attachments
Cyclops.png
Cyclops.png (2.38 KiB) Viewed 5219 times
[You read the signature and discover a link to this user's art workshop.]
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

i think the root of the problem is that you are missing the center line.
the stone appears on the right side, and therefore it doesn't look like the body leaning back like that (which is nice) is counterbalancing the weight of the stone.
Attachments
Cyclops.png
Cyclops.png (1.64 KiB) Viewed 5162 times
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Alternatic

Post by Alternatic »

Loooolz :lol2: . I was just about to post a sprite and call it final, but than I found out about your post and you really found the problem, thanks man! I will post what I did anyways but I will definitely implement your "idea".

Cyclops.png
Cyclops.png (2.06 KiB) Viewed 5148 times
And here is it ingame. I did mainly to see what the TC would look like:
Spoiler:
Thanks to you Addan-Shem too, I used your "skirt" and legs but edited it. You should learn to use a pallete though. :wink:
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Thought I'd take a shot at an edit, too. :) Might have overdone it a little, but hopefully you get the idea.

The first thing that struck me when I saw your original version (and this applies to your newer version, too) was that the anatomy and proportions seemed a little odd. When you put it next to the mainline spearman, the legs seem about the same length (though this might just be my eyes being tricked by the placement of the boulder), but the torso is a lot taller. The arms are also a little skinny, especially around the forearms.

Also, the skin palette looks a little gray; methinks it's probably too under-saturated. And you could also stand to hue-shift it some more to make it more vibrant.

This is slightly less important, but in general you shouldn't use dark outlines on the interior of your sprite - try to only use them when something won't be visible without them. Otherwise banding can occur, and you have less space to work with. For example, around the eye you don't need that dark an outline because it already sticks out pretty well from the rest of the head.

Oh, and something you should know - you have a few semitransparent pixels floating around that you might want to clean up.

That's about all I have to say in terms of critique. Starting an era would definitely give you a lot practice, but you'd also have to deal with the coding and balancing. It might be simpler if you tried to help out an existing UMC with its art - I'm sure there are plenty of authors who'd appreciate your work.

Anyhow, nice work. You're improving fast, so keep it up! :)
Attachments
Cyclops_comp.png
Cyclops_comp.png (5.8 KiB) Viewed 5087 times
Alternatic

Post by Alternatic »

And ... UPDATE!!!

Cyclops.png
Cyclops.png (2.13 KiB) Viewed 5036 times
I don't have much time to comment on it, but I redid the pose(thanks homunculus), tweeked the pallete(thanks Amorphous) and tweeked some other stuff. I still need to redo the legs, especialy the toes. Can anyone help me with it?

Hope you like it, and comments please!!! 8)
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

You might want to shift his upper body a pixel or so to (our) right, it looks like he's leaning back a tad too much. Otherwise, nice improvements. :)

@Drawing feet/legs: that can be pretty tricky. These might be useful as references, but I think the most important thing is to get a good understanding of the anatomy of real legs - it'll simplify your task a lot.