Polar Fauna

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
homunculus

Re: Polar Fauna

Post by homunculus »

Alarantalara wrote:Birds seem to move more and less than you'd expect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vARD17nQjg
At slow speeds it looks like they move more forwards and backwards than up and down.
That probably has something to do with more horizontal movement of wings ;)
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=owl+slow+mo
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Well, AFAIK since neither bats or owls (nor are I suspect gryphons if they were real) are very good at hover suspended in the air you have to imagine what it would look like if they were. Horizontal movement naturally gives more of a constant uplift from the airflow.

Doofus-01: Btw to clarify my viewpoint, the animation works good enough as it is... I just have suggestions to improve it. But it's mostly just speculation that I can't be sure how it would look unless I test it out myself.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Sleepwalker wrote:Doofus-01: Btw to clarify my viewpoint, the animation works good enough as it is... I just have suggestions to improve it. But it's mostly just speculation that I can't be sure how it would look unless I test it out myself.
No problem, I appreciate the input, either way. Even if I disagree with it, it does make me think more than I might have otherwise.

I disagree about the need for bobbing, beyond what is already present, because it is nothing like what I see IRL (and as Alarantalara posted). It is true, that the animation as I have it is wrong for a hovering bird - body would be kind of vertical like it is, but wings would be flapping more forward-back than up-down (I've never seen an owl hover, but I have seen pigeons hover). But that looks kind of goofy, and it would require a different movement animation, so I'm going to cling to artistic license.

The north/northeast edges being too dark is valid though - it looks fine to me on most wesnoth terrain, but this is supposed to be polar, so snow is most important.

Thanks guys.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects