Outcast's Sprites

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Outcast

Outcast's Sprites

Post by Outcast »

As everyone else, i've been playing Wesnoth for a long time. Installed it, uninstalled it, reinstalled it again a couple of months later. And lurked the artwork forums. Always been interested in making new artwork. So i'm gonna dump my sprites in this post and any c&c would be appreciated.

I've been thinking alot about the loyalist techtree and would love to see some new level 0 units for the loyalist. so i'm gonna post some art of that too. Also i'm only gonna post the stance for the unit. If alot of people like the unit i'll continue to make animations for it.

First of we got a new, and in my oppinion more realistic swordsman. I've added a tunica and changed his armor to chainmail and added a somewhat classic shield to him.

I also started with a new sort of mage. What always bothered me was that the human mage could evolve into a white mage (Holy mage with healing) and a Red Mage (Fire mage). So i started with a new subtyp. A Nature Mage (Uses same magic as elves Magi do). And if people like this i will also make a Blue Mage (Water Magic). The plan is also to make a lvl 0 Mage unit. That evolves into a Holy Mage (White), An elemental Mage (which can evolve further into fire - nature - water) and a Dark Mage (Dark Magic / Not undead type magic).

These are the two first sprites i have.

I am planing on making a level 0 Horseman that could either evolve inte the Horseman unit or Cavelryman unit.

And as i said before. c&c is appreciated, what do you guys think?
alluton

Re: Outcast's Sprites

Post by alluton »

Does those new mages mean you are planning on making your own era?
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Outcast

Post by Outcast »

Depends on how far and how many units i create.. As of now i'm just posting ideas and see if other people like them. And if they do i'll continue my work on them.
Outcast

Post by Outcast »

Here is a pic of the level 0 Horseman (Scout). Either he would be the first unit and would be able to evolve into the Horseman / Cavalryman. Or if i'll make my own era i would probley let hem evolve into either Horseman (which can evolve into Knights / Paladins). Cavalryman which can evolve further into dragoons and make it able to directly evolve into Lancer (And maybe let the lancer evolve a level further)

What do you guys think of the unit / Ideas?
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

As to your swordsman:
The shield looks a bit off. I just can't imagine how he's holding it this way... It's too rotated and too far from the body. Usually when one holds a shield they are doing so to protect themselves, and your swordsman seems to be playing with his shield by rotating it :wink:
Also, the surcoat over chained mail looks too much like a pajama. Surcoats are designed to be loose; this weakens the damage done by a blow (if they were tight, like yours, they would be useless). Usually a surcoat doesn't have legs and is tied with a belt. Check out the google search for images.
And lastly, he has no neck at all. 1-2 pixels high neck would do a big difference, imo. Just so it doesn't look like the head is simply copy/pasted onto the body.
Aside from that, good work! And I really mean it, believe me, I've seen much, much worse debuts (like mine, for instance :whistle: )
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
AlaskanAvenger

Post by AlaskanAvenger »

The swordsman could look half way decent with the shield in that stance if he was crouched down in an attack stance. As is it looks like the only moving part on him. Also he is facing the wrong direction for Wesnoth sprites.
Outcast

Post by Outcast »

First of, Thx Dunno for the kind words. i will try to fix him up abit. have been working with my sprites all day long. So i'll go back and try to fix him up abit.
AlaskanAvenger wrote:...Also he is facing the wrong direction for Wesnoth sprites.
How is that? i used the spearman as a base, saying his in the wrong direction for wesnoth sprites feels abit like saying that the spearman is in the wrong direction, imo.