For everyone!

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ChaosRider

For everyone!

Post by ChaosRider »

I just like that founded some interesting site : ).
http://spritedatabase.net/game/2195
With many images of units :P!
I hope it will help all of you in creating new addons or new units for them :P!
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: For everyone!

Post by Sapient »

It would be unwise to use sprites ripped from commercial products.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

First I would like to note that they are already used to the unofficial website of the Heroes of Might & Magic.
Second The game is old - which more and more accepted by all as the public.
3rd I do not think anyone is clung to use them in the "Battle For Wesnoth", and even more so for example, use them as shelves for new animations.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
But I'd be really surprised if someone successfully translated from the game Heroes units and factions to the wesnoth.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
tuggyne

Post by tuggyne »

ChaosRider wrote:First I would like to note that they are already used to the unofficial website of the Heroes of Might & Magic.
Not sure how that would affect anything. Another entity's (possibly unlicensed) use in no way grants a license for Wesnoth GPL copy-ability: not only does Wesnoth need the right to copy the image for use with the game, it needs the right to pass that on to anyone who wants it, indefinitely, for any or no price.
Second The game is old - which more and more accepted by all as the public.
Have the game's creators been dead for 75 years? No? Then it's probably not public domain.
3rd I do not think anyone is clung to use them in the "Battle For Wesnoth", and even more so for example, use them as shelves for new animations.
I'm having a little trouble figuring this out. Do you mean "no one is going to use these directly, but only derive imitations or adaptations from them"? If so, that is still generally seen as infringing; Wesnoth can't claim protection through parody, for example, and it's certainly a sort of competitor. So that probably won't help anything.

If you mean something else, though, I dunno.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

This thing most certainly does not belong in Art Contributions.

Also, everything that tuggyne said. Don’t mistake abandonware with public domain*; abandonware is a purely subjective thing that’s does not necessarily mean anything for a work’s copyright situation. Some quick research reveals that Ubisoft is the current owner of the rights to the HMM franchise and it’s most certainly alive and active.

In the same note, that some people go around ripping non-PD* art for non-fair use* purposes doesn’t entitle you to do the same; everyone who is doing that should be aware that they could receive a ‘nice’ cease-and-desist letter from the copyright holders any day.

Since that game’s art is not released under the GNU GPL, it is not public domain*, and it is obviously not relicensable under the GNU GPL either, it can’t be used in Wesnoth (neither mainline nor add-ons), and that’s it.

Feel free to replace ‘art’ with any other type of intellectual property.

I think everything that there is to say on the matter has already been said, so:

Locked.

* And these are country-specific concepts anyway, whereas Wesnoth is an international project.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.