Strategic map terrain -large scale map

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Wussel

Re: Strategic map terrain -large scale map

Post by Wussel »

Right I sent you the not used buttons. It is just a question of taste. My first version was just a red S. I posting the other buttons now. I made an example how the river behaves in my old version. River can flow next to the coast and not go into the water. Optically you basically end up with lots of small islands next to the coast. This is a feature, not a bug.

I am aware that an artist could improve the tiles. However so far no artist ever showed any interest for this topic. I guess artists have different interests like making waves to look like 10 year old games like titans or anno x. I am just happy that lipk seems to be into programming and you seem to be like educated self learner (same as me). So hopefully we get something useful done.
group_s-pressed.png
group_s-pressed.png (1.66 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
group_s.png
group_s.png (1.69 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
water-river.png
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

That... is definitely too complicated to do with a single river terrain and its transitions... for example there would be no way to distinguish the top outer two or the top middle two... and the bottom right would also probably have to be the same as the top middle...

Unless I'm missing something? It might help to see the terrain codes...
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

There are 3 different river codes with "I", "/" and "\" in the name. Depending on what is next the wooden bridge macro makes a transition between two river tiles, too. That are the round things. I already posted the code in the original posting.

Edit: I played a few more of your scenarios and looked at the wml. You are very good at programming. So if you cannot figure out how terrain wml is working, it must be a problem. Basically there are macros inside of macros and lots of automatic generated code. Looking at the files and searching for specific things helped me to get a basic idea of what to copy and what to change.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

So years later I finally came back to this and got it working. By adding a special terrain for the river mouth and another special terrain for the river source, I was able to exactly replicate Wussel's screenshot. It makes drawing rivers a little trickier, true, but I think it's more flexible.

I'm going to put it up on the add-ons server as soon as I finish all the basic work needed for that (making the pbl file and so forth).
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Wussel wrote: August 10th, 2012, 6:19 pm Thanks for the kind words
Spoiler:

This is silly. I really posted all the code. So why was it difficult? Basically the ending is picked according to the tile where it is ending. Water makes a "mouth" all other make a "source" automatically. This is covered by the old wooden bridge macro.

The trick is to make it look good. Basically there can be only one overlay at a tile. An annoying Wenothian limitation.

So basically if a river and a street have a crossing one needs to be covered by endings, since you can have as many endings on a tile as needed.

Basically a tile has a base terrain like swamp, plain, desert, hills, mountains, forrest, water. On top it can have an overlay: street, river, city, village, fort.

Due to the endings of river and street, these things can still go through city village and fort tiles in an optical way. However there are limitations due to the connecting logic.

That makes it a bit tricky to make it look good and not everything is possible. I.E. Technically you could put a river overlay on a water tile and it would just look weird.

Hope this helps.

Basically a tile has 2 properties. One from the base terrain and one from the overlay. It will make sense to decide for movement speed. Maybe a ship is good on river and a caravan is good on roads, but mountain makes it a bit slower than plains.

Anyway hopefully some people will finally use a strategic map for strategic movements to select the next scenario. Would be awesome!

Basically the old wooden bridge macro can still be utilized in an add-on. You just have to include it in the add-on.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello, sorry for necro-posting and all, but I really like this add-on and was wondering if there are any plans to update it for terrains such as Snow and volcanoes?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I also love this add-on. That's why I'm using it in the campaign I'm working on, like this.
Strategic.png
I hope this add-on is even more sophisticated.
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I'm not an artist, so no, I don't plan to update it with any new terrains. If someone donates the art in the correct format and style though, then I would probably attempt to integrate it.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I was told to act if there was something I wanted. I will do my best.
I want a bridge over the river.
river-bridge-n-s.png
river-bridge-n-s.png (6.94 KiB) Viewed 1643 times
Can this image be used? I think that the quality will improve a little more if you take the time.
How many images do I need to add a river with a bridge to the map?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

For bridges you'd need at least 3 images for the 3 directions. Since the rivers themselves are overlays that are placed and connected as bridges are, it's also correct to include it as part of the terrain, but it doesn't actually need to be in the image since I can overlay the bridge image on a river image.

So in summary:
  • 3 bridges, one for each direction a river can flow in
  • The image only needs to have a bridge, not a river.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Roger that!
With only three bridges, the artwork isn't that hard. I will be able to post in the near future.

Now, another question. The number of base terrain art depends on the type of terrain. Is this because some images haven't been created yet?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Technically, three bridges per bridge style, but if you only want one type of bridge, then yeah, three images is all it needs.
IIIO_METAL wrote: April 14th, 2021, 4:14 am The number of base terrain art depends on the type of terrain.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I'm not good at English, so it seems that I wrote strange sentences. :oops:

When I check the contents of images, there are 38 types of flat images. There are 7 types of harsh. I wondered if there was a reason for this difference.
Also, the wood-to-water-xxx.png in the wood image seems to be an image that is not actually used.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I'm not sure if there's a reason. I didn't create the original images, just figured out (with some help) how to make them work together.

Those unused wood-to-water images are probably something that should be used but I just never figured out how to make them work.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I also don't understand how the map works. Besides, the current map doesn't look strange, so I don't think it's a problem.

Well, I completed the image of the bridge. Will this be usable?
bridge_png.zip
(18.73 KiB) Downloaded 151 times