Avian Faction portraits and sprites

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Adamant14

Re: Avian Faction portraits and sprites

Post by Adamant14 »

I found this in 'RPG_Sample_Resources' on the 1.8 server.
Maybe its useful in any way. :)
Attachments
Birdies.zip
(111.98 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
orangebox

Post by orangebox »

Thanks :D Those baseframes and animation frames are helpful. Especially the color pallete lol (Really bad at picking colors)

Anyway, decided to ditch the previous drawing of the kingfisher and started anew. Trying to practise more on this style.
Attachments
Kingfisher2a.jpg
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Wow, this is looking very good. :D
LUA: Llama Under Apprenticeship
Hell faction: completed
orangebox

Post by orangebox »

Thanks :D I think I'm done with the Kingfisher portrait. :) Somehow, I think I'm still not too used to this style yet - it's always mingling around the uncanny valley. Especially the face... *sigh* Anyways, I'll get to fixing it once I find out what's wrong with her face. Or if anyone would know how to fix it, do tell.

Also, I personally feel that I suck at cropping, but still did it nontheless. There's the uncropped version for anyone feeling like they want to do a better cropping than me lol.
Attachments
Kingfishercropped.jpg
Kingfisher2b.jpg
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

I think her left eye is too big, or her face is skew. Apart from that, nice work.
But why did you cut out the spear's top in the cropped image?
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
orangebox

Post by orangebox »

Hmm, it does seem like the eyes are the problem. What do you think?

Well, it was apparent that I have a really bad eye for cropping XD

Anyway, the reason why I cropped the spear off was that based on most of the portraits in wesnoth, the portraits usually gets cropped off slightly above where the head is. Perhaps I should shorten the spear so that it'll fit?

EDIT:

You are right. The head is somehow skewed. (I do wonder how did I paint the head to be skewed lol) I fixed it by pulling it to the side a little and made it fatter.
Attachments
Kingfisher4.jpg
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Much better now, although I still have the impression as if her left eye was slightly too huge. You should wait for input from an artist, though, and don't weight my opinion too important.

Regarding the cropping close to the units' head, it is not done for units which have a long weapon, such as the Pikeman or the Sentinel.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
GangrN

Post by GangrN »

Nice work, you have a vision. Nice cloth work and color choice too

As for the left eye, Crendgrim's assuming is good. In fact it is not too big but it is flat, as if the orbit was facing the onlooker (while the face is turned to the right). Maybe you could correct it by adding some light under the eye and darker shadows near the temple; on the other hand you should rework the overall shape of the upper lid: the shape should not be a regular oval, so I think you just have to reduce the right part of it, you don't need the white on the right side of the pupil

Awww it's hard explaining such things in foreign language

bon vu ton pseudo je suppose que tu vis en France, donc voilà (désolée pour les autres): l'ombre de l'orbite est uniforme si bien que l'oeil semble faire face au spectateur alors que le visage est de 3/4, donc essaye d'éclaircir la pommette et de retravailler la tempe, puis de refaçonner la paupière supérieure pour lui donner de la perspective: l'ovale de l'oeil doit être déformé un peu de la même façon que l'oeil gauche (ils sont sur la même ligne), pas autant mais quand même. refermer l'oeil à droite devrait suffire je pense, de façon à ce que l'iris soit dans l'angle de l'oeil et qu'il n'y ait pas de blanc à droite (c'est assez contre-intuitif compte tenu de la perspective mais je pense que c'est ça).

(Si tu n'es pas francophone, je viens de m'humilier en direct)
Regards,

GangrN
orangebox

Post by orangebox »

Thanks for the advise GangrN. I've made barely noticeable adjustments to the eye, but decided not to tinker too much with it. Generally, I'm quite happy with how it looks like now :)

Upon looking into the Wesnoth portrait folder, I noticed there's one with transparency (400x400) and another with black backgrounds (205x205). I do wonder what are the purposes of having two slightly similar portraits? I did both of them nontheless :)

Are the cropping any good now? lol
Attachments
Kingfishera.png
Kingfishera.png (29.72 KiB) Viewed 4753 times
Kingfisher.png
Kingfisher.png (110.21 KiB) Viewed 4753 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

orangebox wrote:Upon looking into the Wesnoth portrait folder, I noticed there's one with transparency (400x400) and another with black backgrounds (205x205). I do wonder what are the purposes of having two slightly similar portraits? I did both of them nontheless :)
The 205x205 version is intended for displaying on the unit type descriptions in the Help system, while the larger version is the one that’s regularly used in-game. Long ago (until circa 1.5.7), there were only 205x205 portraits, and when support for larger portraits and their new presentation at the bottom of the screen was added, it was decided that it was better to let the artists provide the Help version with the black background and—presumably—a better downscaling method than Wesnoth’s own.

Incidentally, the purpose of the 205x205 version is alluded to by the mainline portrait requirements topic.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
orangebox

Post by orangebox »

Ah thanks for taking your time to answering my senseless question. That explains quite a lot.

Anyway, I guess I'm on a roll. Here's a WIP for Hummingbird.

I need opinions though, if there's a better pose for her to hold the bow... Cause her right arm seemed to look natural (with her pulling her scarf-like hood up to cover her mouth) but her left arm seems to hold the bow in a seemingly awkward pose.
Hummingbird.jpg
---

Took my time to tinker with the face. I personally feel that it's much better now. So I suppose it's a confirmed completion.
Kingfisher2.png
Kingfisher2.png (107.49 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
Kingfishera2.png
Kingfishera2.png (28.93 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
Kenpachi

Post by Kenpachi »

stunning work.

Is it just me, or does the left eye's pupil look larger than the right eye's?
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

Kenpachi wrote:stunning work.

Is it just me, or does the left eye's pupil look larger than the right eye's?
I wonder why a Figther should want to render a Bird and take significant DisAdvantages in its Movability from the Features of his Wear. I think the ArtWork is fine but the Unit's Equipment does functional miss the Point: Fight
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein
No Source - No Binary - No Trust!
Map Wesnoth Springs - The great War [200x120],Player=9
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

MetalKing, wings aren't just ornaments. Avians are winged. And can fly. That's BTW why they don't seem to use heavy armor.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Looking at that animation, I wonder how can it fly.
She looks like if she was sitting on a bird or something, but most of all, where is her center of balance? Trunk, head and arms weigh much more than legs, so she would have to use her wings to counter the torque, and that would be more than twice as much power (not mentioning that just keeping oneself in the air requires almost all the power a human can create).
According to the portrait (that looks brilliant, just one eye's looks badly injured), they are are like centaurs, human trunk stuck to an animal body, so it should not be so out of balance, but still the human trunk must weigh much more than a bird's head of that size.