Avian Faction portraits and sprites

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
orangebox

Re: Avian Faction portraits and sprites

Post by orangebox »

tom > Thanks for the useful feedback, now that you've mentioned it, it does feel static. I've made the head slide down to aim and added extra frames so that it transitions smoother (hopefully) between firing > fired > head pops back up to check the shot. Anyway, the legs are deliberately widened. Was trying to do a 'sneaky' baseframe - along the lines of a ninja lol.

lipk > Haha thank you for your sentiments. Believe me, I'd like to continue adding more units and baseframes, but I'm the sort to see perfection before I move on orz. Also, not to mention that I've yet to design the next advancements or other unit types. However, the general designs are only roughs in my mind (in terms of stats and the sort, no visual ideas yet however). Not to mention I've yet to do the flying baseframe for these two either.

Crow > I've made the transition smoother now, perhaps it'll fit to your suggestion as well? Do check it out :D
Animate-HBattack2.gif
Animate-HBattack2.gif (4.06 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
---

Here's the lot of attack frames if anyone feels like tinkering with it :P
Hummingbird AttackA2.png
Hummingbird AttackA2.png (7.4 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

hmmm there is still the same problem, that there is a kind of delayed reaction between the bow releasing and the elbow going back, I was saying to do both actions on the same frame. Give that a try and see how it looks
orangebox

Post by orangebox »

Ah, if I'm getting which part you are referring to; that delay is done on purpose. It's something like, when you release the arrow, your arms will stay there until you sort of see where the arrow flies to - only then will you start to draw another arrow.

Anyway, kingfisher ground attack animation. I got a little bit lazy, so the transitions are a little bad compared to the hummingbird lol
Animate-KFattack.gif
Animate-KFattack.gif (6.08 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
---

Here's the frames.
Kingfisher AttackA.png
Kingfisher AttackA.png (15.7 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

ah I see what you are saying, but when you are pulling against a force and let go your arm moves back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HennyLA ... re=related

OK I'm done, I won't bug you anymore ;)
orangebox

Post by orangebox »

Ah I get what you mean :D Thanks for the insight! I'll add it when I get to it

Edit:
How about now? Added 1 more frame for transition between the right arm reaching for another arrow.
Animate-HBattack2.5.gif
Animate-HBattack2.5.gif (3.5 KiB) Viewed 3210 times
Edit 2:
Smoothen the transition with additional frames. Hope it's better now :)
Animate-KFattack.gif
Animate-KFattack.gif (6.64 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
lipk

Post by lipk »

Not sure if its intentional, but the kingfisher attacks to the east, what Wesnoth units can't do (as there're no adjacent hexes straight east or west). It might work as a wildcard animation for both southeast and northeast attacks, though :P
orangebox

Post by orangebox »

My first idea was so that it could depict attacking both northeast and southeast, thinking that mainline wesnoth units did so as well. I was half correct on that, as only bow units had 2 ways for their attack animation while some of the melee units actually has attack animations for nearly all directions.

So, if you didn't notify me, I would've kept on assuming that all units only had two directions (left and right) LOL. Thanks for that :D

Anyway, I suppose they could stay being a wildcard for now :P
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

yeah, I like that bow one now! :mrgreen:
orangebox

Post by orangebox »

Okay I am in no sort a decent scripter of any kind to easily grasp how WML works lol. So here comes a request to anyone kind enough to fill me in - or better yet, help set up the units with corresponding attributes/stats and animations/baseframes. Or is this the wrong section to be asking for this?
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

This just requires some study, look into the core/unit files for reference. I'm a beginner programmer as well and am playing with this stuff, but not too much atm: http://eclipse.wesnoth.org/ seems pretty powerful though.
tom030890

Post by tom030890 »

The kingfisher looks really good to me.

The Hummingbird still looks too static. A flicker of leg movement might be good.
The arm once it comes out with the bow deals with different tensions. There will be more movement of the torso, and arms, especially as the head comes forward to aim the shot. The question is how little you need to do. I would suggest an additional transition frame as the bow is bought to bear, then a shift of the left arm to straight as the bow is drawn back to give a bit more movement.
orangebox

Post by orangebox »

I'll take a look at that. Thanks crow!

I can't think of how would the legs 'move' in order for it to have movements out of necessity for the hummingbird though. That part for the extra frame from the base frame > holding out the bow frame, I'll get to it soon. I am aware of it personally, just that I haven't gotten off the laziness which had stopped me from doing it earlier on lol. However, I don't quite understand this "then a shift of the left arm to straight as the bow is drawn back to give a bit more movement". Once again, thanks for your feedback!
orangebox

Post by orangebox »

The flight animation. :)
Attachments
Animate-KFflight.gif
Animate-KFflight.gif (24.33 KiB) Viewed 3117 times
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

orangebox wrote:Okay I am in no sort a decent scripter of any kind to easily grasp how WML works lol. So here comes a request to anyone kind enough to fill me in - or better yet, help set up the units with corresponding attributes/stats and animations/baseframes. Or is this the wrong section to be asking for this?
If you try to do this yourself, and stumble upon problems, feel free to ask in the WML Workshop; there surely will be someone who helps you. If you do not dare to work on this yourself, though, I'd gladly offer my help to do the basic coding, from which point adding/modifying units should be easy to do.
These images look very cool. They are definitely amid the nicest UMC sprites I've seen so far (I actually even like them more than my favorite Saurians :P — warning, personal opinion).
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

Yeah, what Crendgrim said. The sprites are fantastic, and it's nice that you've (A) animated them and (B) done it really well - if you look at most user-made factions, they are rarely animated and very rarely so well-drawn.
Along with Crendgrim I'm happy to help with the code, I'm working on the Fly ability as we speak, and I don't mind doing other stuff too if need be.
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.