Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
szopen

Re: A New Order art

Post by szopen »

Sleepwalker wrote:Hi,

A long time ago I toyed with making new Akladian sprites (I really liked and finished your campaign), they were based somewhat on the old art... I don't know why I didn't post any. I guess I wanted to do lots to begin with as to see if I would actually finish what I started.

So, better late than never i guess. If your giving the Akladians a new look then these might not fit in 100% I might have made them a bit too armored too?

"Finished" of these are Clansman, Lady Lorin, Wiseman, Warrior line, Raider line and Homeguard line.
Unfinished and sketchy are Young Hagarthen, Leader line and Holyman.

I say "finished" but they are up for tweaks of course.
Wow, they are just great. Definetely either all of them, or some of them will repalce current Akladian sprites (though I will miss the animations I made for clansman and other... My daughter loves the evil smile of Akladian Warrior when he slaughters the enemies)

As for the armour, they indeed are supposed to bve rather lightly armoured; however they live in Wesnoth for quite a long time, I think it's enough to give them some access to "modern" technology. In addition, "tribesman" does not need to indicate very backward technology in terms of military techniques, especially since Akladians are not naturally "evolved" from primitive tribes, as you all remember :D

I would love to replace the old sprites, but I have not enough time right now -- I am on vacation. They won't go into next release, but definetely in the next after that. Even if it would mean mix of old and new sprites (Lady Lorin looks so mean now :) The old Lorin was made by wayfarer, and it was cool but she looked amore fragile in the same time). Sleepwalker, if you could postgzipped pngs for the each line, I would be very grateful. No need to hurry -- as I have written, i am on vacation right now.

PS: In new portraits, all Akladians are clean-shaved, it was Sigil's idea (Sigil's the guy, who resurrected the campaign and bought several portraits) and I liked it. However, the sprites are so cool with beards and all, that they may stay that way,
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I would like to post some villages, which were originally donated By Alex Drumond on this forum some years ago. He asked for others to handle his "assets". They might be working for Akladien villages. How do you attach image files?
szopen

Post by szopen »

Wussel, when you are posting a post, there is a section "upload attachment" right after the form for the posting (immedietely under four buttons "preview, submit, save draft, cancel).
Now, there is a phrase "If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below.", and a "browse" button. Pick the le you want using the browse button, confirm by "add the file"

Later in post you can reference added file by using "place inline" button, which appears if you add the file, with effect like this:
akl-darknite.png
akl-darknite.png (3.32 KiB) Viewed 6747 times
As for sleepwalker's samples, six of them are part of new release.

The warrior line is suspended because it would require to modify unit configuration files, and I have too less will power to do it right now (it's just removing the animation configuration).
Lady Lorin won't be replaced, since while she's cool, there is no 2nd an 3rd level advancement sprites for her.

@sleepwalker
Do I assume correctly, that you do not intend to finish the sprites?

@all
Would someone volunteer to do basic animations, starting with base standing (blink+breathe),idle (pray+sleep), selected, victory (evil grins and laugh) frames similar to those, which I did for clanmembers? I ask for those first since they are much simpler to do than attack/defend frames (they are far less dynamic).
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Got it. here are the first 5 files. They look cool on a dark floor like cave or dwarfish. But grass will do too. They have the maximum size which will work with encampment next to it. They do look especially cool in caves and go good with cave walls too. I kept them as big as possible to catch the original flair. There is no stretching or recoloring. There are versions without lights too. But as Alex provided the lights, I found them more colorful. They might work for undeads or dofus' despair faction, too. If you put them close together you get a city feeling. In general they might be cool for some viking type punks ("ironborns of westeros" or such).
akl5.png
akl5.png (12.54 KiB) Viewed 6737 times
akl4.png
akl4.png (10.43 KiB) Viewed 6737 times
akl3.png
akl3.png (11.57 KiB) Viewed 6737 times
akl2.png
akl2.png (10.06 KiB) Viewed 6737 times
akl.png
akl.png (12.52 KiB) Viewed 6737 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Wussel wrote:I would like to post some villages, which were originally donated By Alex Drumond on this forum some years ago.
I couldn’t find posts (other than this one) by searching for “Alex Drumond”, neither through the forum nor Google. Would you mind sharing a link?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

So here are the last 2. Then there are all in an xcf-file.

More over I tried to attach my working file as xcf. It has 8 mb and did not succeed uploading.
This one has to be scaled down to 40% to match the current size. If somebody wants to go smaller please realize that 36% is already 10% smaller than 40%. You will loose details and awesomeness. I would stay away from recoloring. If somebody wants to switch of the lights or do a flickering animation, please do so.
akl-all.xcf
(121.44 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
akl7.png
akl7.png (10.92 KiB) Viewed 6731 times
akl6.png
akl6.png (13.99 KiB) Viewed 6731 times
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

shadowmaster wrote:
Wussel wrote:I would like to post some villages, which were originally donated By Alex Drumond on this forum some years ago.
I couldn’t find posts (other than this one) by searching for “Alex Drumond”, neither through the forum nor Google. Would you mind sharing a link?
Oops, my typo. It is Alex Drummond.
Username: alexdrummond
link: http://www.alexdrummo.com

Originally posted as dark town building 2 years ago.

Hope that helps

Houses from the first. Lights from the second. Especially the longhouses made shorter by cut and paste to match hex requirements. Some scaling up to match the sizes. (Small houses and tower)

Edit: Some distortion used on the tower. After removing the base it seemed to be to short for my taste. My deepest apologies to the artist.
Edit2: I noticed the use of the description "viking type punks". I do hope sincerely, that I did not diminish the Akladian faction by that. Any offended feelings caused by this, would result in my deepest regrets.
Isometrichouse.jpg
9.jpg
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Okay... I could find it with the keywords you provided now, so here’s the link I was asking for in case someone else wants to take a look:
It’s too bad that he disappeared rather quickly.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Well not much to do about it. He probably did not like his stuff losing the awesomeness by being scaled down or recolored. He might not liked the idea, to finish his art until it can be submitted. Above all he is a professional who wanted to get some more visuality. There are really more a few bits and peaces of his stuff on the internet. But than movies like Avatar look like his stuff on the other side. So I hope he likes how I utilized his "assets". But back to topic. This is A new Order art thread.

I still did not manage to upload my xcf file. Here are the 3 most important layers for the knowledgeable and those who want to learn by playing around, too.
akl-houses.png
akl-lights.png
akl-shadows.png
szopen

Post by szopen »

Yes, they are nice and I could definetely use them. However, it would need me to recall how to define new terrains, which means it will have to wait until I will be back from vacation :)
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Good to hear that.
As the villages are bigger than the regular they could be placed by hand on top of an existing village. I have seen that once in a user made campaign. I have no idea how to place an 216x180 picture exactly on top of the village level. I do believe that a macro could be written for that. ( Code could be like [PLACE_BIG_PIC 47 11 atk5]). This way there would be control which version shows. I tried to recreate the original concept art in Wesnoth. All wrong buildings in wrong places. But have a look. I use the tower for the encampment keep for the sake of the picture.

Enjoy vacation!
darktown-ingame-try-out.png
9.jpg
szopen

Post by szopen »

@sleepwalker
How you want to be credited in CREDITS?
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Just a name would be fine. Whether you put my handle or real name there is not important. Do as you like :)

Oh and I believe I can continue working on the sprites when I get the opportunity, sure I can post png's for them though I don't have time right now. The sprites are up for change too... If you want I'll remove the beards and mustache. Be aware that the raider line has stubble too (Gray Greenish jaw).

Lorin looks mean? Well I always thought she did look like that in the portraits lol, and with the characterization in the campaigns I didn't get the impression she was very fragile, or kind.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
szopen

Post by szopen »

Sleepwalker wrote:Just a name would be fine. Whether you put my handle or real name there is not important. Do as you like :)

Oh and I believe I can continue working on the sprites when I get the opportunity, sure I can post png's for them though I don't have time right now. The sprites are up for change too... If you want I'll remove the beards and mustache. Be aware that the raider line has stubble too (Gray Greenish jaw).
I am not sure whether this is necessary. Sigil's idea is neat, but the sprites look cool with beards and moustaches.

Anyway, we have now a lot of inconsistencies already:
1) there is original concept of akladians, with blue hair, who supposed to be foot only infantry, lightly armoured but physically resitsant
2) then there is sigil's rationalisation to make them look more like hungarian or sarmatian nomads, without beards, to show that they are master in arms (reflected in new portraits and some sotry art)
3) and then we have those cool looking sprites, with moustachesm but with straight swords :)

Lorin looks mean? Well I always thought she did look like that in the portraits lol, and with the characterization in the campaigns I didn't get the impression she was very fragile, or kind.
That's a good thing, this portrait looks more like the Lorin should look.
szopen

Post by szopen »

I have been toying with the akladian houses. Here is what i have found:

If if put them as an IMAGE, the result is blinking image if i move a cursor
If I put them as a halo, they look good without artifacts, but they are ABOVE units
If i scale them down to 72x72 they don't look so cool

I guess they have to wait unitl i will learn how to do multihex terrains.

Which means, a long time. I am going to vacation to rural area of Poland, when cows are more common than internet access. I will be back in two weeks or something like that.