Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
SlowThinker

Re: Retro-minimalistic (Terrain) Package

Post by SlowThinker »

The package file is attached.
You don't have to run the .exe, you can simply extract the file by 7-zip for example.

installation A
extract the package to
programdata\data\core\...
but then the package must be reinstalled anytime Wesnoth is updated.

installation B (recommended)
extract the package to
userdata\data\core\...
(your add-ons are in userdata\data\add-ons\... , see also
Where is my user data directory?)

Unfortunately I don't have the unistaller (wesnoth_retro_package_undo.exe). Anyway the uninstallation is simple if you follow 'installation B'
Attachments
wesnoth_retro_package.7z
(1.89 MiB) Downloaded 272 times
Last edited by SlowThinker on February 27th, 2013, 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Madlok

Post by Madlok »

Thanks.
I made folder embellishments for this package. All eyecandies graphics are now 1 pixel transparent png and they replace real embellishments. So now this addon is userdata friendly and I guess it can be uploaded to addons server.
Attachments
embellishments.zip
(144.56 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
Quick bats are quick.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

edit:
I don't think it can work as an add-on.
The files must rewrite the core files, and this must be done after any Wesnoth update.

/edit

--------------------------
This is my list of wishes:
  • use 1.8 water with no animations
  • Dirt (Flat): Re and Rd are too different (Re is too dark)
  • Impassable Mountains - it is hard to recognize them in a Mtn. range, especially the Impass. Mtn. with less clouds. Some ideas how to solve it:
    - make the clouds very dark (probably laborious)
    - use only the image with the peak hidden in clouds (I don't know whether this is possible)
    - put a black circle or square or anything over the peak
  • I prefer the 1.8 style grey caves over the 1.10 brown ones, because it better distinguished caves from other terrains;
  • cave path should be better visible (use the image of Lit- Ur^li ?)
  • the dwarven (cave) villages (Uu^Vud) are hard to recognize in caves - put some light in the window, (or add even more windows with light)
  • I prefer the lighter green of grass (1.10 style) - it is good to have all the flat terrains in light colors
Last edited by SlowThinker on February 27th, 2013, 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Madlok

Post by Madlok »

It works similar to addon. I have this core in \userdata\data. I'm just not sure if there is requirement for server addons to be in \userdata\data\add-ons folder or just wherever in \userdata.
Quick bats are quick.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

I don't understand ... can you post an example of a path to a file of Retro Package?
Madlok

Post by Madlok »

userdata\data\core\images\terrain\hills\dry.png

I don't use old Drakes graphics.
Quick bats are quick.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

So userdata/data/core/... overrides data/core/...? You didn't have to delete the original dry.png?
Madlok

Post by Madlok »

Yeah, exactly, and I don't need the original files backup. That's why I made the invisible embellishments.
SlowThinker wrote: This is my list of wishes:
[...]
  • I prefer the 1.8 style grey caves over the 1.10 brown ones, because it better distinguished caves from other terrains;
Me too. The brown cave is like a mud.
Quick bats are quick.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

edit: this text was incorrect
SlowThinker wrote:So userdata/data/core/... overrides data/core/...? You didn't have to delete the original dry.png?
Madlok wrote:Yeah, exactly, and I don't need the original files backup. That's why I made the invisible embellishments.
This is true for Windows:

Unfortunately it works only if Wesnoth uses userdata from the installation directory.
If data are in a custom directory (like "My Games/Wesnoth1.10" by default ) then game graphics are corrupted. It looks like a bug ...?
(My problem caused non-ASCII characters in the path of images. (it looks 1.10 is more touchy with non-ASCII characters that 1.8))