my artwork

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
this_guy

my artwork

Post by this_guy »

Hi, I'm new to the forums. I am hoping to be able to get help with any artwork, and I would appreciate any critique.
Attachments
This is the first unit art I have ever made from scratch. Any suggestions?
This is the first unit art I have ever made from scratch. Any suggestions?
Spartan 1.png (2.39 KiB) Viewed 3771 times
“Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”-Albert Einstein
dipseydoodle

Re: my artwork

Post by dipseydoodle »

Looks good except the lights need some more highlights and you really should not use all one color for the outlines. Try mixing up different shades of black and yellow for the outlines. Also he legs look like they're in a uncomfortable position, maybe placing them a pixel or two inward (right for te left, left for the right) would help that issue. Anyway it's great for a first hand drawn sprite :P
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

Just like dipsey said, you need more shinyness and you can use lighter outlines around bright areas. I've edited the spear, a leg and the shield to show you what I mean.

You can check out Vranca's art thread, there are some spartans quite similar to yours to be found there, you can also find some examples how to draw the skirt.

I like the way you drew the plume, and the high contrast on helmet makes details pop out - I think you should try to draw the rest of the guy in a similar way.
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

You may want to look into the thread "Vranca's artwork" - it deals with exactly this type of unit you are working on. It may be useful for you to look into the evolution of sprites and how the progress was achieved. In your original post the spear and hoplon were good, the armor and helmet less good (armor had the source of light different than hoplon) and everything below the waist was poor.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

shiremct also has similar things that might help:

http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20923
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
this_guy

Post by this_guy »

Thank you for the feedback! I used more contrast on the armor and I agree, it does look better. Thank you kanapka for editing the spear; would it be okay with you if I use it? Anyways, here is the spartan again, this time with better contrast and a shadow(not sure how I forgot that :wink: ).
Attachments
Spartan 1-green.png
Spartan 1-green.png (3.14 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
Spartan 1.png
Spartan 1.png (2.98 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
“Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”-Albert Einstein
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Much better.
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

The reason I edited some parts of the sprite was for you to learn why those changes made it look better, so copypasting the spear won't do you much good - though copying it pixel by pixel forces you to look what exactly was done and why does it look like it looks.

I think you should redraw the legs completely, they look strange and I can't figure out why, and smoothing out the shield would help too (again, you'll have to find a way yourself).

I like the new skirt better, though I think the folds aren't visible enough, and after in-game recoloring the contrast on magneta areas drops, so it'll be even less visible. You can try drawing in Team Color (using color swatches from shiremct's thread) and switch it back to corresponding magneta colors before putting it in an add-on.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Kanapka wrote: I think you should redraw the legs completely, they look strange and I can't figure out why, and smoothing out the shield would help too (again, you'll have to find a way yourself).
The reason, I believe is becuase the legs guards are drawn in a nearly square fashion... Try making some light curves, adding stronger shades and moving the joints around a bit
this_guy

Post by this_guy »

I redid the legs, darkened the skirt, and made a new spearhead. For fun, I changed a wild elf raindancer from the imperial era. It's hard to tell it was once the elf :wink: . I also did another image of him on a horse.
Attachments
rider-horse.png
rider-horse.png (3.3 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
Franked the head and most of the body, sword, fire and head were my own.
Franked the head and most of the body, sword, fire and head were my own.
rider.png (3.36 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
Anything noticeably wrong?
Anything noticeably wrong?
Spartan 1-green.png (3.13 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

The right leg of the spartan is a bit to fat for my likes... A quick few pixels shrink should do you may also want to turn the foot slightly to the right.
this_guy

Post by this_guy »

I'm sorry I haven't posted for a while (I've been really busy). Anyways, I was looking at the hoplite, and I noticed it looked a little bit to large. So I took the unit and put it next to the pikeman, and sure enough, it looks like a giant. :doh:
David and Goliath lol
David and Goliath lol
Uh oh.png (5.21 KiB) Viewed 3231 times
I'm going to put off working on this for the time being, maybe come back to it later. If anybody has any use for it, you can take it.

I was also exploring the unit tree when I noticed that the human outlaws don't have a mounted unit. Elves and Loyalists and even Dwarves have mounted units. I am going to try to make a mounted unit line for Outlaws for fun, and see how it goes.

PS- I'm horrible at coming up with names for units. Does anyone have any ideas for a mounted outlaw unit?
Last edited by this_guy on December 15th, 2011, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

Raider? Brigand? Rustler? Marauder? Rogue Knight? Robber Baron? This also depends what do you want unit to be. Highwayman would fit, but it's taken.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
rmj

Post by rmj »

Dark rider, night rider, mounted outlaw, pillager, sacker, looter, desperado.
rmj
alluton

Post by alluton »

rmj wrote: desperado.
Either that one Pillager/Raider.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash