Imperial Era Art Project (Workin' on Orcin')

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Kanzil

Re: Imperial Era Art Project

Post by Kanzil »

Personally, I actually thought the first portrait's expression was perfect- defiant , proud, aloof, exactly as I'd imagine an elf.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

The daggers look a little small and frail, and too small to hold. Maybe make them a bit bigger?
direfish

Post by direfish »

Kanzil wrote:Personally, I actually thought the first portrait's expression was perfect- defiant , proud, aloof, exactly as I'd imagine an elf.
I'm with Kanzil here.
Also thought that portrait was really stylish.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The newer one's face looks nice, to me at least. Her right forearm, the one in the armor, seems a bit too long though.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
SFault

Post by SFault »

Kanzil wrote:the first portrait's expression was perfect- defiant , proud, aloof, exactly as I'd imagine an elf.
Truly so. The second one seems very insecure where the first one seems like a person who takes the stuff seriously.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
freeforestify

Post by freeforestify »

A bit more detailed and other colour
Attachments
charnew1.png
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Exceptionally beautiful.
If I may say, though, to use this for the IE, her general dress probably makes her a warrior, or maybe a wanderer..., if she's a warrior, then the sword needs to be a little more obvious, while if she's a wanderer she needs to have spear.
My preference, though, with slightly different colours and without the metal armour, I think she'd be perfect for the raindancer line.
Attachments
01787_windlasher.png
01787_windlasher.png (4.47 KiB) Viewed 5224 times
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

elvish shaman.JPG
Last edited by AxalaraFlame on November 3rd, 2012, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

AxalaraFlame wrote:It is made by an anonymous Chinese artist called songlien. Duuno whether it would help you
Even if it’s just a screen name, that’s not truly anonymous.

I suppose you posted this for reference? You should have provided a direct link to the source page instead then. I would bet money that picture is copyrighted under terms incompatible with the GNU GPL — if I had any money, that is, but that’s beside the point.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

@shadowmaster
I have enough money to put some strings and bet with you, but I won't. :) Nor would I this time.
I dunno much about your cheished GPL, but I vaguely recall that some stuff under a GPL license could be used freely. Whatever. I collected from one branch tieba (in chinese, "forum") somewhere long ago, made by a forum member whose name is "songlien" and posted simply because of interest. So it is not very possible for me to find that link now. Do you think it fits the requirements of GPL or not? As far as I know most people use the resouces on tieba freely. If not, I will remove it.

Besides, your tone looks like neither a critique or a critization, but implicitly sarcasm against me in particular. I recognize your style of posts for a long time and I wonder where and when did you form this habit.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Okay, so I guess you did not post it for artistic reference purposes then.
AxalaraFlame wrote:As far as I know most people use the resouces on tieba freely.
I think I have pointed out the invalidity of this kind of argument before, but I don’t remember whether it was specifically for you or someone else. Regardless, whether people go around stealing art or not does not change the fact that it is not morally or legally acceptable conduct, especially not here.

If it is not public domain or CC-0, and it wasn’t explicitly licensed for use under the GNU GPL, it cannot be used.

Also, I’m being serious here — in both posts, in fact.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Thank you for reminding me. :) @shadowmaster
But how to remove it? I am not accepted to remove my own attached files here...check this
Untitled.jpg
Besides, you could be a nice man, really, because you are nice.

Oh, I found the author now, and she agreed to let me use it. Does it matter?
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

AxalaraFlame wrote:Oh, I found the author now, and she agreed to let me use it. Does it matter?
the entire point of a license like GPL is that the copyright holder's agreement is not required for a particular use as long as it fits the terms of the license; if she thinks her agreement for a particular use is required, then she didn't license it under GPL (or agreed to something she didn't interpret as having the implications that GPL has) & it can't be used in mainline & official addon server.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Hey all, world's worst artist here, crying for help!

It'd be wonderful if there's a/some sprite artist/s out there that wouldn't mind making some minor changes to some IE unit base frame sprites. The following unit lines are all easily confused between levels, and it'd be great if someone would like to take on diferentiating them a little bit. There's no portraits or and few animations or anything to worry about yet, so you have full artistic control (within reason), and doing any or all of these could earn you my undying love and devotion. The unit cfgs and descriptions are available in the era to help you out with ideas if you want them.

ImageFay->ImageSeeress->ImageGaldra
The Fae and Seeress are too easily confused. Please make the Seeress a little bit more like the Galdra. Major changes to the Fay not advised due to alternate promotion path.

ImageRaindancer->ImageWindlasher->ImageTempest->ImageStormlord
The Windlasher and Tempest are too easily confused. Please make the Tempest a little bit more like the Stormlord. Major changes to the Windlasher not advised since there are a couple of animation sprites already and it seems a pity to waste them.

ImageWanderer->ImageTracker->ImageWindrunner
The Tracker and Windrunner are too easily confused. Please differentiate them somehow.

ImageWarrior->ImageVeiledblade->ImageShadowdancer
The Veiledblade and Shadowdancer are too easily confused. Please differentiate them somehow, maybe by making the veiledblade a little bit more like the warrior?

ImageGallus->ImageDimacherius->ImageDimacherius Fortis
The Dimacherius and Fortis are identical. Please differentiate them somehow, probably by changing the Fortis. Traditionally we've shown upgrades in the Orcei by changing metal armour to gold, but this guy has no armour, so another method is needed.

ImagePugnator->ImageBestiarius->ImageFeral Bestiarius
As with the Dimacherius line, the Bestiarius and Feral Bestiarius are identical. Please differentiate them somehow, maybe by "undressing" the Bestiarius.

If anyone could do any of the above, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, UO.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
AxalaraFlame

Re: Imperial Era Art Project (Sprite Artists Wanted!)

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Owl, I want to get some details about how to get some graphs/images/pictures/drawings GPL licensed. I had one of my forum member working on your Orcish Gladiator lines, but he did not add animation...I am not sure whether we could use that stuff.
Besides, my men have collected a horde many of portraits. Ruling out those with copyright (nearly none of them have it...it is china, copyright is crap), we are considering about applying them by register/license them, but knowing no details, we have no idea how to do it.

Please reply. I would reply this Friday because there are some chemistry/writing attacks to fend off recently...