Imperial Era Art Project (Workin' on Orcin')

Make art for user-made content.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:

Re: Imperial Era Art Project (Workin' on Orcin')

Postby UnwiseOwl » August 19th, 2014, 1:52 am

Lower right of the pink box, or the whole picture? We're going to end up using one of the lizards, that's for sure. Them's some basses khampsa.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
UnwiseOwl

Postby Crow_T » August 19th, 2014, 9:13 pm

UnwiseOwl wrote:Lower right of the pink box, or the whole picture? We're going to end up using one of the lizards, that's for sure. Them's some basses khampsa.

This one:
lizard-pick.png
lizard-pick.png (3.54 KiB) Viewed 1296 times

To me it reads best, but that could be because of the stronger contrast
Crow_T

Postby Temuchin Khan » August 22nd, 2014, 1:43 pm

Great work, Amorphous! I love the new, more aggressive stances!
Temuchin Khan

Postby Amorphous » November 22nd, 2014, 10:37 pm

Arrr, I'm back.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I had a burst of inspiration today and made some meager progress. I'm trying to organize the Orcei some more, hence the intricate and beautifully crafted tree-diagram you see below (that is to say, sorry about the mess).

@Crow_T: You're right about the river lizard; the reason the uglier looking version is in the box instead of the refined one is because I had been going back and forth on the design. I realized after polishing the better lizard that it actually looked more like an arboreal species than an aquatic or amphibious one, so I was trying to come up with an alternative look. Obviously, not much luck there, so for now I'm sticking with original.

As for actual changes this time around, I mostly concentrated on the Pugnator line. Pulled up an old take on the Feral Best. from a while ago, and also tried giving the whole line some helmets. The Bestiarius's is the only one that looks half-decent atm, but hopefully I can get the rest up to scratch as well. I gave a shot at Essediarius as well (the fox-drawn Goblin chariot -- I love that concept so much. :D), and I think that's all.

Thoughts on the above?
Attachments
wiptree.png
wiptree.png (36.47 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Amorphous

Postby doofus-01 » November 23rd, 2014, 5:31 am

The helmets are a big improvement, the top level 3 thing looks like it's on a good track. The fox-cart is also well done, and a kind of funny concept - it'll be interesting to see how that turns out.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Contributor

Postby UnwiseOwl » April 28th, 2017, 8:56 pm

Hey Amorphous,
I realise I've committed a grave injustice by going afk for a couple of years, and just when you were making such great progress with these orcs. I don't know if you're still around, but I figure a little feedback can't hurt anyway.

I like the new Pugnator, but I think keeping him helmetless would be good. I know that orc heads can be tricky, but I think then sticking the helmet on the level 2 Bestiarius looks incredible. I love this particular helmet style too, even though it doesn't feel very Roman it does feel very orcish, I love it.

The fox is perfect, but I think the chariot looks almost like a saddle rather than something travelling behind the fox. Still, real potential there, and I want that fox so badly. In comparison to the dogthing that we have now it's just incredible.

Finally, the lizard....yes, just yes.
I wish that I'd been around to encourage you on this one in particular. It's stunning. That poor little goblin is really letting it down!

Thanks for your work, UO.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
UnwiseOwl

Previous

Return to Art Workshop