Yéti & Co

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Deserts

Yéti & Co

Post by Deserts »

Hi everybody! I play for some time with my young son to version 1.6 of Wesnoth and we love this game. (Sorry if my English is not very good, I'll try to do my best.) There, I have try to make a Yeti : http://www.wesnoth.org/units/trunk/ang_ ... /Yeti.html , I hope that I post in the right section.
See you soon ! Thank you:]
Spoiler:
Last edited by Deserts on October 28th, 2011, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: Yéti

Post by ancestral »

Welcome to the Forums!

Glad to hear you and your son enjoy playing Wesnoth. Drawing and painting art is certainly welcome. It can be a nice place to share your creations. I like the Yeti, it looks good!

With that being said, if you’re hoping to contribute, the art you see in the game doesn’t happen overnight. Keep drawing, don’t give up, and the folks around here will do their best to help you get better.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Deserts

Post by Deserts »

Thank you for your encouragement !
We are going to finish all parties of version 1.6 before beginning 1.8
As one goes along, I shall have the time perhaps to make other illustrations.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Moved to art workshop.
Also we've had some complaints about the suggestive posing, so I've put the image inside of a spoiler.
Deserts

Post by Deserts »

Oh... I'am sorry.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

That yeti has some character : )
I like the frostbitten looks.

Are you intending to work on it some more?
If it is supposed to be similar to mainline portraits, my uneducated guess is that it would need to be somewhat less cartoony.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Deserts

Post by Deserts »

Thank you ! I'll see. And obviously there are other problems with this character ... :)
Deserts

Post by Deserts »

homunculus, less cartoony, do you mean like that ? (I blurred the ink strokes)
Spoiler:
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

This Burin the Lost from Rise of Wesnoth might be an extreme positive example, one of my personal favorites (though I always have some difficulty figuring out if those are gloves or cooked hands).

I mean, if you put the Burin portrait and the yeti portrait into the same game, there seems to be some style inconsistency.
The lightness and saturation of the yeti looks extreme, and the level of detail is also very much different.
The shading is kind of smooth (I think this is where the most of the cartoony appearance comes from), and the light seems from the front (which might not be really catastrophic, but I guess it will just make integrity more difficult to achieve by not having a nice and clear flatly shaded (or lit by a secondary light source) shadow side).
With light from the front, I guess colors is what you have at your disposal mostly, but it also tends to produce pillow-shading, which people here are allergic about, perhaps with a good reason.

I hope you are familiar with coloring of names in the forum, my opinion is somewhat irrelevant compared to the light blue and olive colored ones.
Deserts

Post by Deserts »

That's true that it is a very good drawings!
I make this for the fun, you know ;) I am not sure to push as much as that I sometimes saw by playing. http://www.wesnoth.org/units/trunk/fr_F ... eress.html
and http://www.wesnoth.org/units/trunk/fr_F ... rdier.html
are really very good for exemple...
Deserts

Re: Yéti & Co

Post by Deserts »

Hi!
Studies concerning a peasant woman...
Paysanne01.jpg
Paysanne3L.jpg
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Deserts wrote:I make this for the fun, you know ;) I am not sure to push as much as that I sometimes saw by playing.
that exactly depends on what feels like fun for you personally. For some, fun might be taking things bit more slowly, but more detailed.
Even if you don't find it fun to push for mainline quality, I think your drawings are quite cool.
As for the peasant woman, I think the shadows could have some more saturation, right now it looks like gray fog in the shadows.
Or are you coloring with lit colors and then painting gray shadows over it?
As far as I know, it is usually done the other way round, coloring with saturated shadow colors and then painting unsaturated light over it.
SFault

Post by SFault »

There are some issues with the perspective. Compare the eyes and the shoulders. She seems to stand straight but HER right (our left) shoulder is lower than the other one. At the same time HER right eye is higher than the other eye. Her face and upper torso suggests that she has rotated to HER right but the apron decorations are parallel to the camera. While HER left arm is bent and right one is straight I would assume the crops beating thingy to be closer to HER left side.

Hope this helps.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Deserts

Post by Deserts »

homunculus > Thanks to you!
I have some difficulties in understanding, my level of English is not sufficient : (
As for the treatment of shadows, there is not rules. In my view, the first drawing is better (watercolor and ink, quick drawings), but the most part of the gamers do not appreciate this style. (I work on acrylic a lot also).
There I make test of with free software Mypaint to slick the aspect. It is an interesting wrok. I no maitrise all tools yet...

SFault > This is not an isometric perspective. And the body is moving. I do not know what else to say:)
I confess to not having tried to do something perfect. I'll be careful.
Deserts

Post by Deserts »

SFault > About the apron's decorations, you're right, i've done very fast :D