Mostly spritework.

Make art for user-made content.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Ellisae

Re: Mostly spritework.

Post by Ellisae »

Sorry, I am not changing Thana's appearance. I made her for the very reason that I disliked the entirely one-race, no-variety nature of wesnoth elves; plus, I already made portraits for her.

I did not take the unit sizes into account, no... I realized afterwards but decided not to change it yet because I kind of liked the result I had and didn't want to ruin it. I will try and see if I can shorten the Swiftblade without making it worse tomorrow.
Shinobody wrote:There's very easy way to differentiate Glaive from Halberdier.
Give her (?) a glaive.
Also, what shadowmaster already said about height of some units.
Thana gave me at first impression of being human or half-elf... Dunno, maybe changing her figure/hair/height/ears/or nevermind, since she's unique unit - would counter that impression?
Ah, and only Brohm got shadows which are correct now.
*sigh* Who am I kidding, I'm posting here just to say this is beautiful. Colors, shapes, everything.
As for dagger throwing, YouTube reference:
Knife-throwing tutorial (actual throwing starts at 1:50)
Glaive was actually the result of an hour of brainstorming about what to call Halberdier's upgrade. I couldn't find anything better.
I could give her a glaive and change the portraits for the upgrade, but it'd be extra work. I'll see!

Thanks for the shadow comment! I was unsure what shadows were correct nowadays.
First year illustration student. Socially awkward; apologies if seems rude/strange/offensive/something.

SFault

Post by SFault »

All but Brohm seem to have 'incorrect' shadows. See this.

The halberdier->glaive line units resemble each other too much. At first glance I just thought they were the same unit. Perhaps you could redraw one of them and give her(?) a totally new pose.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art

Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

SFault wrote:All but Brohm seem to have 'incorrect' shadows. See this.
Pointed out by Shinobody first.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm (now available for Wesnoth 1.14).

Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

I think the only issue with Thana is that she looks too much like a mage (i.e. the clothes are almost identical, same pose, stature etc.). The robe could be changed a little bit (maybe with green tints, colors, etc.).

Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

@Great_Mage_Atari:
Thana - Shaman -> Battlemage
Oh, my. She is one. :annoyed:
It is like complaining that Malin Keshar looks at beginning too much like Mage, and then too much like Necromancer line.
May I ask you to actually compare Mage and Thana.
Her robe HAS GOT a greenish tint.
Also, she's got dark red hair, big pointy ears, no wand, blue book...
@Ellisae: I looked longer at this sprite, and I take my comment back. She is distinctive from both human magi, as from elves, but she still looks like elf (or half-elf, but saying explicitly in campaign that she is full-blood elf, just looking different, will be enough, IMO).

Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Oh I see there is a green tint... My bad everybody. The sprite looks better.