Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
SkyOne

crab-like monsters in own

Post by SkyOne »

The title/subject was: level=1 or 2?

-----------------------------

Hi,

I have created a monster unit to use on own SP campaigns.
It was supposed to be a level=2 unit, but it may be a bit too small. Could anyone tell me it should be a level=1 unit or fine as a level=2?
I need both levels anyway, so I am just not sure which one I should make next.

EDIT: Oh, also are the pincers right? They may be the opposite?

Thanks
Attachments
monstrous-carapace.png
monstrous-carapace.png (2.14 KiB) Viewed 5457 times
Last edited by SkyOne on June 4th, 2011, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
uncleshelby

Re: level=1 or 2?

Post by uncleshelby »

I think it looks like it could be a level 2.

I'm not a super art freak, but is it smiling?
Timshel
boru

Post by boru »

Looks like a level 2 to me. Your sprite looks like the kind of "display" a crab would do when threatened. Normally, a crab won't hold their claws that way, usually they'll have them in front of their bodies, with the larger part of the claw closer to them, and the smaller segmented part away. An attack would look something like this
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thanks for the comments, obnoxius-man and boru. I start feeling to make a new level=1 unit that is smaller than him. :)
obnoxius-man wrote:I'm not a super art freak, but is it smiling?
Yeah, that is what my wife said.
I didn't made it smile, but looks like it is. As a good thing, he will be a side=1 unit on owns, not an enemy. :)
boru wrote:Looks like a level 2 to me. Your sprite looks like the kind of "display" a crab would do when threatened.
You are absolutely right. I might use it as a defense-anim.
boru wrote:Normally, a crab won't hold their claws that way, usually they'll have them in front of their bodies, with the larger part of the claw closer to them, and the smaller segmented part away.
Yeah, claws make me confuse because I don't have much chance to see alive crabs although I love to have crab-legs with dipping in butter. :)
boru wrote:An attack would look something like this
:D I love this community. You sought the picture? :lol2:
I am going to make an attack-anim like it not to waste the time you spent.
Thanks for making me so laugh today.:)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
boru

Post by boru »

Just a brief google search, no biggie.

I may not be entirely correct about the way they hold their claws. It seems to depend on the species.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Yeah, there are so many different kinds of crabs, I know, but one you showed me helped me a lot to make this level=1. It looks just a crab though, not really a monster so far. But it is good enough to use my new campaign with turtle-like monsters. One of level=2 will be on Orcish Newport scenario of Brave Wings as a guard for the drakes in a case. He is supposed to be a good defender on the ocean.

Making claws for that level=2 on the same way as this level=1 is a little bit too hard under my art-skill. So I might have to rebuild the level=2 or keep it as raised the hands/claws up...

I appreciate your help.:)

(this post has been edited.)
------

Another one (level=2) has been attached.
Could anyone tell me which way of claws looks better? I mean raised up or in front of body. This one is more reasonable, but maybe, raised up is more offensive looking. --> no, I think this is better.
Attachments
monstrous-carapace-2.png
monstrous-carapace-2.png (4.52 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
fighter.png
fighter.png (3.9 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
boru

Re: crab-like monsters in own

Post by boru »

Why not use both? The one with his claws in front could be the standing frame, and the claws-up sprite could be for when he moves.

em3

Post by em3 »

This crab rests his claws in front before moving:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAA7GOUT ... re=related

:hmm:
ride on shooting star
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

SkyOne,

You have very dark lines next to fairly light pixels, it makes it look very cartoon-like. To make it look less chunky, don't have harsh brightness changes in neighbouring pixels unless you really intend to have a sharp shadow between surfaces. Also, some of your colours are very similar, that ruins all the benefits of pixel art. Use as few colors as possible, and don't be wedded to using such dark outlines.

I took a quick pass at your image, hopefully it helps show what I mean,
Attachments
monstrous-carapace-2d1.png
monstrous-carapace-2d1.png (4.65 KiB) Viewed 5095 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

boru wrote:Why not use both? The one with his claws in front could be the standing frame, and the claws-up sprite could be for when he moves.
em3 wrote:This crab rests his claws in front before moving:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAA7GOUT ... re=related
I thought it would be too funny, but it works as well, especially with doofus-01's polishing up sprite.
Actually, it shows more monster-like, instead of just a crab. Thank you so much.:)
doofus-01 wrote:You have very dark lines next to fairly light pixels, it makes it look very cartoon-like. To make it look less chunky, don't have harsh brightness changes in neighbouring pixels unless you really intend to have a sharp shadow between surfaces. Also, some of your colours are very similar, that ruins all the benefits of pixel art. Use as few colors as possible, and don't be wedded to using such dark outlines.

I took a quick pass at your image, hopefully it helps show what I mean,
Thank you so much, doofus-01.
The sprite looks incredibly improved. I really appreciate your help and advise. ^_^
I, now, got the difference between cartoon-like and art.

I made claws-up one from your touched up sprite by following your advise. Could anyone tell me it is good enough or not? I actually have been curious his eyes. Crabs don't have white parts, but if I draw them to black, they don't look good...

P.S.
Spoiler:
Thank you for being active, doofus-01.:)
Attachments
monstrous-carapace-moving.png
monstrous-carapace-moving.png (2.91 KiB) Viewed 5050 times
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

The crab's belly is pretty blurry :hmm: while doofus01's advice was certainly good, you should still not completely drop off outline, imho... It needs more definition, atm. Maybe just don,t use pitch-black for outlines, but a very dark orange?
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Oh, Dixie the Jazzmaster.:) Thanks.
You mean the very bottom, not the claws?
I am not sure how it should be, actually. The claws were not right. This may be a bit better?
Attachments
monstrous-carapace-moving.png
monstrous-carapace-moving.png (2.96 KiB) Viewed 5039 times
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

I must admit I liked your first picture most, because it looked so funny.
But doing more true to life anatomy will surely make your life easier in the end.
In your latest sprite with the raised pincers, you seem to have changed the shape of the pincers.

Is the crab meant to be cooked (judging by the orange color).
What about something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l6w08VxSNk at 2:42 - 3:13 which has a more uncooked color except for the orange crystals on back (the more references and associations the merrier imho)?
Actually I think it is good if the color is brighter like you did it, but why orange which should be the stereotype for cooked?

As for outlines the suggestion that is usually given is to use a darker shade for the outline.
Meaning that if you had a sprite without outlines, make the outlines darker.
So that where the sprite is light colored, the outline would be lighter color than the outline where the sprite is dark.
Just make it so that it all works consistently in the end and the sprite "pops" on the background.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

I've noticed that while the first spirte had the proper-used-for-all-Wesnoth-units perspective, the following ones are seen directly from the front, and the last one maybe even a bit from below.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thank you for the comments, homunculus and Kanapka.
The claws-up sprite is for the moving animation, but surely, I will touch it up later. Currently, fixing bugs on own takes all my Wesnoth-time (again), so as soon as anything is ready, I will post it here.
homunculus wrote:Is the crab meant to be cooked (judging by the orange color).
What about something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l6w08VxSNk at 2:42 - 3:13 which has a more uncooked color except for the orange crystals on back (the more references and associations the merrier imho)?
Actually I think it is good if the color is brighter like you did it, but why orange which should be the stereotype for cooked?
:D Yes. You are absolutely right. When I drew this unit-image, my imagination was exactly from cooked one. I mean steamed king crab legs or snow crab legs on the kitchen table, or those in a Red Lobster restaurant. I totally forgot about it...
What has made me surprised is that one in your video is very similar to what I imagined. Now, I feel good for its eyes. Thanks.:)