Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Scaeb

Courtesan unit image

Post by Scaeb »

Hi, guys'n'gals!

I just wanted to see if I can handle pixle art at all (it's my first try, but it's pretty time-consuming!), so I decided to draw a courtesan picture. It's just some finger-practice, so not intended for a particular faction or era. Her body is more fragile than the usual Wesnoth-style females', but heck, what do you think of it?
Courtesan. Might be found in nobles' circles. Good informant and assassin ;-)
Courtesan. Might be found in nobles' circles. Good informant and assassin ;-)
courtesan.png (3.35 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
StDrake

Re: Courtesan unit image

Post by StDrake »

what race is it? the sprite looks neat but i can't recognise anything in existance
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Scaeb

Post by Scaeb »

LOL, that's quite bad. I guess, it was a bad job then :-)
No, honestly, she's human. But I guess, it's the unusual pose that makes the sprite very unrecognizable.

Ok, so I took inspiration from an art noveau picture.
That's what it looks like pixel-arted in a bigger resolution:
Courtesan, pixel-arted from original into ca. 16x more pixels than the Wesnothian verison
Courtesan, pixel-arted from original into ca. 16x more pixels than the Wesnothian verison
art_noveau_mid.png (15.97 KiB) Viewed 3172 times
If it's still quite unrecognizable, the original, inspiring art was (not a courtesan at all only reinterpreted to that by myself):
Spoiler:
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I think you'd be better off using the current sprites as a "model", and use the larger image for ideas on the details. The mainline sprites don't have realistic proportions, it looks odd when something that does is standing around next to them.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The head didn't have realistic proportions, but with only one eye visible and the head way off vertical, the face becomes very hard to read. (the odd angle makes the standard "two pixel eyes" impossible)

It's probably possible to make it easier to read, but other than saying "study more pixel art", I can't help you with that.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

my peanut perception goes like this:

the cloth at the middle right seems to be continuation of the blue cloth at the bottom, but coloring it purple as if it was part of the body armor looks confusing.

the position of the head was also very unusual and therefore the head was hard to recognize.
wouldn't there be enough tension in turning to look over the shoulder already with head in normal position?
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

I think that Tet's thread about the temple would be a great inspiration, especially statues of women on this picture: Image
Just wrap it in some loose clothes like on this art noveau picture.