City terrain

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Re: A new terrain type?

Post by Jetrel »

doofus-01 wrote:2. Sort of what Jetrel said, add towers and other non-house things. But make them the non-healing terrains. If there are enough outhouses, stables, lamps, and watch-towers, the city won't look sparse, even if there are not that many "villages".
:doh: This won't work. You simply need too many literal houses to make a city. Even if you cut down the number of houses to less than 1/3 of the city, you're going to have 6-8 houses for any reasonable-sized city.

It's a bunch of work, but the ideal solution (which also doesn't discard any graphics) is to:
- switch all races to using "towers"/"strongholds" as the resource-granting terrain.
- keep our existing village graphics for use as "sparse" settlements
- make new village graphics, compatible with the existing village graphics, for "dense" settlements.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

Anyone liked my idea? I mean... it can probably be good...
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

PeterPorty wrote:Anyone liked my idea? I mean... it can probably be good...
I think changing the game mechanics is out of scope in this forum.

But what is the way forward for me? Should I continue working on my version of the city?
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Jetrel wrote:It's a bunch of work, but the ideal solution (which also doesn't discard any graphics) is to:
- switch all races to using "towers"/"strongholds" as the resource-granting terrain.
- keep our existing village graphics for use as "sparse" settlements
- make new village graphics, compatible with the existing village graphics, for "dense" settlements.
I think the above is the only visually non-confusing method for mainline Wesnoth, but i'm not sure it's worth the effort. There's a lot of conceptual overlap between "Keeps" and "Tower/Strongholds". Defense values would be weird, or things would have to be rebalanced. Weird= "a stronghold is a place where you get money, healing, but mediocre defense."

In other words, i don't think the terrain can be introduced well in a way that's not disruptive.

lurker wrote:I think changing the game mechanics is out of scope in this forum.

But what is the way forward for me? Should I continue working on my version of the city?
If your city is not adapted for mainline (Which IMHO it shouldn't be without a major overhaul of Wesnoth), it still could be very useful in specialized eras, or conversions. I think this would need to find life in a mod first anyway before being applied to Wesnoth if that was the plan.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

I, for one, would like to use the city terrain in my current UMC project.

I think it will be useful as a village variant, without complicating the issue by changing functionality.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Please, do finish it. It is really, really useful for UMC.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

All right then.

Could a moderator move this thread to the workshop, please?

Thanks

Lurker
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Done.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

First version as an addon.

- Much more contrast
- More and better *-small variants.
- More houses
round_city.png
Greetings

Lurker
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Could you possibly place the terrain_graphics.cfg that you are using inside of an attachment? It is rather hard for us who don't know TerrainWML to generate a file for this.

Did you make it into a terrain already or is it simply an image?
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I've been thinking lately: why wouldn't this simply be used as a village variant for widely populated areas?
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

bigkahuna wrote:Could you possibly place the terrain_graphics.cfg that you are using inside of an attachment? It is rather hard for us who don't know TerrainWML to generate a file for this.

Did you make it into a terrain already or is it simply an image?
Sure. Extract the attached zip into your addons folder. But beware: At the moment the terrain does not affect the game statistics in any way, IOW it acts only as an overlay. It has been suggested that the city terrain act as a village without healing or income which seems sensible as a first approach. If somebody knows the WML for that could they please post it here?

Thanks

Lurker
Attachments
residential.zip
(73.99 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Looks good! I imagine we'll be seeing these around in a number of addons, before long.

My one comment is that the colors seem kind of………too saturated, maybe? It looks kinda like some of them are lit by the warm glow of sunset, or something. I know they're meant to be painted (or red brick), but maybe just tone that down a little bit? I feel like they kinda jar with the rest of the terrain.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

lurker wrote:If somebody knows the WML for that could they please post it here?

Thanks
No problem. Just replace your current aliasof line with:

Code: Select all

aliasof=_bas, Vi
timberwolf16739

Post by timberwolf16739 »

Honestly, the effect of giving better defense can be done in the movetype definition (or the unit file, if you're so inclined) anyway. This is awesome, and just what I needed for the mod I'm working on, since I have a major faction of rogues, some of whom I'd like to have the ability to hide in villages -- which is completely useless without a terrain like this. Keep up the work, and hopefully this can eventually get integrated into mainline, and add even more crazy possibilities to the Wesnoth world.