Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: City terrain

Post by ancestral »

I agree with Zerovirus. More texture to the buildings is needed. Also, the red roofs are a little garish and its stucco is a bit bright as well.

I would also venture to say that the scale of these buildings seems almost… too large? I'm curious how it would look if the buildings were smaller or even shorter.

It might also be nice to see some added elements (bushes, vines, hanging signs, barrels, etc.)
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

ancestral wrote:I agree with Zerovirus. More texture to the buildings is needed. Also, the red roofs are a little garish and its stucco is a bit bright as well.

I would also venture to say that the scale of these buildings seems almost… too large? I'm curious how it would look if the buildings were smaller or even shorter.

It might also be nice to see some added elements (bushes, vines, hanging signs, barrels, etc.)
Current status:
human-city.png
The lower scale did not go well with the majority of commenters. You can look at the earlier pages to see how it looked. I may tone the healing houses though.

About the "Medieval downtown Manhattan": The medieval cities I know all have buildings at least three stories high, and narrow streets, and because of the same reason: place was scarce within the city walls. I do think about an additional set of houses, though: A set of lower class, mostly wooden(?) buildings.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Hello, all

Here is my current best version of the city terrain. Some people found it to be far from finished, but actually I do not think I can make it much better ATM. The look is certainly very different from the mainline city houses, but that's just how it is. Here a last look on "medieval downtown manhattan". Depending on interest (or just for joy - paiting houses sometimes felt like playing lego in the old times) I may start to work on a variant with smaller, poorer houses, meant for slums and suburbs or to be combined with this one.
human-city.png
For those interested I attached the source file, too.

Greetings

Lurker
Attachments
Houses.svg.zip
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 388 times
residential.zip
(164.73 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

Looks great :D
Somehow the houses are remarkably similar to these from the Anno game series, did it inspire you?
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Ceres wrote:Looks great :D
Somehow the houses are remarkably similar to these from the Anno game series, did it inspire you?
Glad you like it. But no, my main inspiration came from the city I'm living in:http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... ruecke.jpg
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

Very nice. :)

I'd love to see your slum/suburb ideas too.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Wow it's starting to look NICE!!

Before, many persons does use many villages next themselves and the map did look ... not well. But with this great idea now the maps can look better than with forests, hills or another kind of natural terrains :shock:
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide