Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Wesnoth logo favicon

Post by ancestral »

I was looking to see if there was a small version of the Wesnoth logo for a project I'm working on that could work as a favicon (as next to the web address for a web page) and it appears, there isn't.

In order for it to be a proper icon, it needs to be 16x16 and use only web-safe colors. Also, as icons are a representation of a larger image, the iconic parts of the logo should be noticeable and not blurry (such as the swords behind the shield).
Here's my attempt, though I will profess I'm not much of a pixel artist. I'm not content with the hilts on the swords; some structure is missing there. Perhaps you can do better, or improve upon my hastily-drawn pixels?
Attachments
Wesnoth 16x16 favicon. Perhaps you can do better?
Wesnoth 16x16 favicon. Perhaps you can do better?
wesnoth-icon.png (262 Bytes) Viewed 5394 times
Last edited by ancestral on November 8th, 2010, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: Wesnoth logo favicon

Post by Eleazar »

Get rid of the swords i think-- they are too small to be "legible" at that size, and it gives you one more vertical pixel for the shield
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

I think it wouldnt look right without the swords and although they probably need some fixing up they should still be included
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

:hmm: not bad... One thing I'm noticing is that the highlight along the top of the shield ends up looking like a white bar when it's tiny. When it's 16 x 16, we probably don't need perfect shading, right? What would making those tan do? As per the hilts, try removing the lighter gray pixels. They add a "tubing" effect that makes the swords look very wide.

Best Regards,
Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Fog

Post by Fog »

I agree. The highlights on the top of the shield's trimming look out of place, although that may be the forum background I'm using. Here's my attempt:
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-11-09 at 7.10.30 AM.png
wesnoth-icon4.png
wesnoth-icon4.png (328 Bytes) Viewed 5276 times
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Not bad but I can't exactly tell where the light is coming from. Darker darks and Brighter Highlights would be my advice.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

For comparison, armorgames.com has a good shield favicon. I notice that they have a pair of swords in their main logo too, and they've ditched them altogether for their favicon. They've also gone for a smoothed style rather than the sharp borders between colours of these Wesnoth attempts.