Reepurr's stuff: Rainforest shelter

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
StDrake

Re: Reepurr's stuff.

Post by StDrake »

skip one of the feet extensions on a rear view, possibly the left one, otherwise you turn him into a duck
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Minor bump with another animation experiment.
sergeants.png
sergeants.png (7.73 KiB) Viewed 4987 times
Have I got the stretching right this time? (obviously there'll be more frames)
Have I got the stretching right this time? (obviously there'll be more frames)
thfanim.png (5.01 KiB) Viewed 4987 times
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Difficult to tell without a gif.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

This guy will probably be doing a spinning attack once I add a bunch more frames on, just I'm trying to sort out stretchiness first. But if [the devs] think just a basic slash would work, then fine.
thief.gif
thief.gif (2.67 KiB) Viewed 4920 times
(In case you hadn't worked it out from file names, that's a Thief I'm animating.)

Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Don't make a spinning attack. Make a basic lunge-and-slash. It's a much better place to start. Indeed, I made one similar a long time back for the thief that I need to dig out and work up to finished status.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Going all over the place art-wise at the moment. :|

Inspired by lurker's brilliant swamp stuff, I thought I might as well get started with the subtle art of brushing. I'm working on a rainforest shelter right now.
Ignore the leaf roof's noticeable border, I'll sort that out later.
Ignore the leaf roof's noticeable border, I'll sort that out later.
leafy.png (6.07 KiB) Viewed 4829 times

bigkahuna

Re: Reepurr's stuff: Rainforest shelter

Post by bigkahuna »

Reepurr wrote:I'm working on a rainforest shelter right now.
Right now it looks like a tent/triangular box of some sort. What is your intended projection? :hmm:

EDIT: I see now... the opening to the shelter isn't very noticeable. It looks like the shadow of the other part of the box. Maybe make it wider, more slanted, and more open?

Example: Image
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

If you want that shelter to survive, then I'd have built it lower. Your leaf texture also needs work. Remember, tropical leaves are generally big wide leaves, or long narrow leaves. References. :wink: Keep up the good work.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

The perspective is off, assuming it's not supposed to be leaning over to the left.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Atz wrote:The perspective is off, assuming it's not supposed to be leaning over to the left.
It started out as a right-angled triangle, but that looked like it was going to topple over any moment, so I made the straight wall angled slightly so it wouldn't fall over sideways.
Frogger5 wrote:Your leaf texture also needs work. Remember, tropical leaves are generally big wide leaves, or long narrow leaves. References. :wink: Keep up the good work.
Yeah well, villages are so much smaller scale, that shelter should probably be half its size. But I didn't want that, so I doubled its size..but not the leaves'. It came out weird, guess I'll change that.

I think I'll change the design to something like this shelter but with green leaves.

Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Thats not exactly what you'd call tropical, and note that they use bark instead of leaves, and those are shelters that are only used for about one night. However, if thats what your looking for, by all means go ahead.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Reepurr wrote:
Atz wrote:The perspective is off, assuming it's not supposed to be leaning over to the left.
It started out as a right-angled triangle, but that looked like it was going to topple over any moment, so I made the straight wall angled slightly so it wouldn't fall over sideways.
Frogger5 wrote:Your leaf texture also needs work. Remember, tropical leaves are generally big wide leaves, or long narrow leaves. References. :wink: Keep up the good work.
Yeah well, villages are so much smaller scale, that shelter should probably be half its size. But I didn't want that, so I doubled its size..but not the leaves'. It came out weird, guess I'll change that.

I think I'll change the design to something like this shelter but with green leaves.
i think the easiest way to go (assuming you are not after unnecessary challenge) would be to try the shape of shelter posted by bigkahuna.
drawing to people's expectations is not a bad idea, so if they expect a symmetric one, you might consider drawing a symmetric one.
and, maybe it will not cause any problems, but i would avoid using a rectangle at right angles as you have for a roof at the moment.

the scale of the image is so small that the round one would probably end up looking like a pile of salad, or a pile of green bananas, or just some bush.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Somehow I always return to animations. :whistle:
While the mainline animation (in 1.9.1 at least) only has 2 frames, this has 4. (6 frames if you count the 2 repeated ones)
While the mainline animation (in 1.9.1 at least) only has 2 frames, this has 4. (6 frames if you count the 2 repeated ones)
sergeant-crossbow.gif (5.15 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
EDIT: Now he defends!
sergeant-defend.gif
sergeant-defend.gif (3.44 KiB) Viewed 4469 times

Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

The sarge ended up in Contributions. Anyway, here's a quickie for anyone with a Sea Serpent in their campaign. I realised afterwards it's much smaller than the standard 400x400 picture (and was when I was editing it), but until someone gets around to redoing the poor thing, it should be better than next-to-no shading.
I only did it for practice anyway, really...
I only did it for practice anyway, really...
sea-serpent.png (66.79 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
And here's the old one for comparison.
sea-serpent.png
sea-serpent.png (50.37 KiB) Viewed 4436 times

Kraus

Post by Kraus »

I just have to share, that in my opinion you have developed in huge, huge steps over last couple of months. I can remember autumn when your work wasn't really up to par, and I honestly felt a bit bad you tried so hard with all the let downs; but now, the work indeed seems to have paid itself back! Don't let the practice rest, 'cause if you continue to take these kinds of steps, I'm expecting to see some very good work from you. :)

Honestly, I don't know about the nitpickings and obvious improvements the real artists can tell you in the commissions area, but I was really surprised to see how well the sergeant's crossbow animation turned out. It is VERY well done, considering how you fared just few months back.

This will be interesting over time. Just don't get cocky yet. :) The artists here will push you very, very hard, and I'm honestly surprised you haven't given up already under all the pressure. Wits of steel there, I suppose!

Keep on working. That's all I wanted to share.

About the serpent: to me it seems the highlights on the back scales are hastily done. They'd need some smoothing down, and propably even toning down. To me it's a slight improvement, though.
"Oh, to the hades with the manners - he's a complete [censored], and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De'Arnise