Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Re: Sleepwalker's randomness, current - IftU Demon portraits

Post by Sleepwalker »

I did not plan or study anything, just pretty much making up the movements as I go to what feels nice to me. Imitating some real life martial art was never intended.

I think the throw looks more graceful as I put more frames into it for the amount of movement done compared to the blade attack? (where he rotates 720 degrees compared to 360 degrees in the throw) I bet I could make that one look more graceful too if I fleshed it out more... Yes it's all pretty flashy and unrealistic but I hope that's not a bad thing. I've enjoyed making it like that.

Jump defense: Yeah I have had that happen to me once actually. I hit my own jaw quite forcefully and it was sore for about a day...

I could make him duck closer to the ground. It would be an even more choppier movement than now though (compared to the others) just using 2 frames.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention: What I am thinking of doing for the kick animation is either to make him step forward and perform a somersault kick, perform a roundhouse or some jumping forward kick... haven't decided which yet.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

for level 3 assassin something impossible might be fitting, the only impossible kick i can remember right now is the bicycle kick, which imho doesn't look very assassin-like.
i mean, not the possible one, but the impossible one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kktzXlR6mtk

or, if limited range of movement is desired: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a86cQobU-n4&t=45s
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Ok, finally finished the Nightblade. I went with my own kind of kick. The blade attack blur has been made opaque now.

It's all in the rar to be unzipped into the wesnoth folder. Images and nightblade cfg are there including a modified slayer cfg to allow leveling to nightblade. The unit stats are token and of course free for change if you don't like it or it is unbalanced.

I have tested the longer defense animation and it seems to me there is no particular slowdown to attacks (as was the the reason for 2 frame only- fear of slowdowns). But if you really want to you can comment it out. Right now it is using both chosen randomly.

EDIT: Oh and there is no flavor text... If someone would like to write one go ahead.
Attachments
Nightblade.rar
(198.27 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
nightblade-kick-se.gif
nightblade-kick-se.gif (8.06 KiB) Viewed 6983 times
nightblade-attack-se2.gif
nightblade-attack-se2.gif (8.28 KiB) Viewed 6983 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Firstly, the animations look awesome! :D

However, the kick is kinda unrealistic. If you want to keep the similar style, look up a 'Jump Spinning Whip Kick'. For a kick of that style, there isn't near enough torque in what you put in. (please don't take this as a slight upon your animating skills, it looks great)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Yeah it wouldn't be very powerful in real life but I for some reason I just didn't want to do another spin attack. *shrug* Thanks. Maybe next time I will make something more realistic- as long as looks good.
- Nercy Masayon
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Yeah, of course it'd probably work fine as it is, considering most people probably couldn't tell the difference...

The Jump Spinning Whip kick looks flashy, yet is also usable IRL. Or, if you want to be really fancy, you could go for a JSWK followed by a sidekick midair. Those are fun too... (though it'd probably not work well with the sprite's size)
Last edited by TheScribe on January 9th, 2013, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I messed with the timing a bit, more anticipation, more explosive action. I like what's happening here, good stuff :)
Attachments
nightblade-kick-se2.gif
nightblade-kick-se2.gif (7.26 KiB) Viewed 6841 times
Dorimen

Post by Dorimen »

Yeah, I think is better the Crow-T version, but probably Sleepwalker placed the animation only for the purpose to show it... :)

Great animation Sleepwalker!
DeviantArt Profile
My project: Stickmen Era
Coming soon project: The Chaos Lord- a campaign with the Stickmen Era
--The measure of a man is what he does with power--
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Sorry for slow reply, yeah the timing is better there. :) I might adapt it into the .cfg if I get around to it. Unless you feel like doing so.
- Nercy Masayon
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Re: Sleepwalker's randomness

Post by Sleepwalker »

What if Wesnoth was a Beat em up game? Based on Kitty's portrait.
Attachments
BeatemKonrad.png
BeatemKonrad.png (8.65 KiB) Viewed 6331 times
- Nercy Masayon
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Ooh, I like it! There is some noticeable banding happening on upper half of the scabbard though.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Thanks. :) I was trying to do it relatively quick and didn't spend too much time refining it and looking for ugly spots. Yeah the scabbard could use work and there's some jaggedness here and there on the sprite... The gold lining and leather could use an additional shade and the dark lines all over the sprite could be brightened in spots. I wonder if it would be worth it though if theoretically one would animate it, as it would save a lot of time with a simpler sprite.
- Nercy Masayon