Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
IPS

Re: Dinosaurs!

Post by IPS »

yes its indeed :)

Remminds me the not existing Dodo for this times :/
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

Golden_Soldier wrote:@ Dixie: holy schnitzlewhitzle! thats a nice frankenpack :shock:
you should probably make one of those chicken dinosaurs (I forget what they are called but I always thought they looked like chickens
lets see if I can find a picture...
ooo this is a good one
The terror birds are not from the dinosaur period, they came after the disparition of the dinosaurs.
However, if you see current representations of the carnivorous dinosaurs (theropods), they are mostly represented with feathers, not scales. For exemple, see the wikipedia article on the velociraptor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velociraptor), notably this image.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

True, but I think it's much cooler if they don't have feathers. Or we could go the Jurassic Park III approach and make it that the males have feathers.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Hulavuta wrote:True, but I think it's much cooler if they don't have feathers.
I agree. They shall keep their scales.
boring lecture:
About the terror bird....
It appears to be a diatryma, which was the bird used in inspiration of the new chocobone. I tried making a living version, see below:
It's only called elephant bird because I like the name.
It's only called elephant bird because I like the name.
elephantbird.png (5.27 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
I do have the aforementioned Franken-Pack, and the Sabertooth tiger.
Dimetrodon would definitely work for that lizard thing, if I have any takers. ;)
Currently trying to make a stegosaurus image, but I'll be out for the next day or so (give or take a few hours). I actually have something else to work off of so it shouldn't be too bad.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Hmm, I'll take a shot at the Dimetrodon, I could prolly use the old ambusher or flanker's sails for that. I could probably also use one of the lizards in the frankenpack, add a sail to THAT and make it a Spinosaur. IMO, the classic Ambusher looked like a Spino anyway.
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Leid

Post by Leid »

IPS wrote:Nice using of the fire dragons head for the Rex Dinasour hehehe

The sprites likes cooler, but the one what don't likes so cool is the triceratops, likes very flat.

The others I think are much better :)
THe body is too of a Fire Dragon :wink:
The creator of "City Defense", a 2P survival on the add-ons list.

Visite my Art Gallery!
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30931
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Leid wrote: THe body is too of a Fire Dragon :wink:
Glad someone picked up on it. :D
I have a developmental stegosaurus base frame, so here we go:
Yes, I AM aware it is facing east. My inspiration was also facing east, it was easier this way.
Yes, I AM aware it is facing east. My inspiration was also facing east, it was easier this way.
stegosaurus.png (7.02 KiB) Viewed 4556 times
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I think its head should be up more. Right now it looks like it's feeding, which could be in an idle frame, but not really a base one.
~Sierra
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

I like that the body is realistic but the graphics of the scales are much different
you can either make the body less realistic (which wouldnt be my choice) or make the scales more realistic
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

:augh: Quite the contrary I'd say that the body is very unrealistic and actually very cartoonish.

:eng: The biggest problem that I can see is that it simply doesn't look like pixel art. The textures and shadows look more painted that forged. And some of that linework looks anti aliased.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Leid

Post by Leid »

Maybe better if you put more... ehm... (mini-shields?) at the neck of the animal :wink:
The creator of "City Defense", a 2P survival on the add-ons list.

Visite my Art Gallery!
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30931
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Golden_Soldier wrote:..."you can...make the scales more realistic."
Easier said than done. How do I do that?!?
Frogger5 wrote::augh: Quite the contrary I'd say that the body is very unrealistic and actually very cartoonish.

:eng: The biggest problem that I can see is that it simply doesn't look like pixel art. The textures and shadows look more painted that forged. And some of that linework looks anti aliased.
That sounds good, but what does it mean? I do not know what the words "anti-aliased" or "forged" mean in this context. I know that you are better at sprite art than I am, so could you show me how that works? (That doesn't mean I want you to do this for me: I want to do the stego on my own. Just show me how that works in something else.)

Here's a couple of changes I made to the previous image:
added a couple more back plates.
gave him a bit of a beak on the front.
made him less fat (That's looking kind of weird, I might go back to the original on this part.)
Is this any better?
Take 2.
Take 2.
stegosaurus2.png (7 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
EXTERMINATE!!!!
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

The stegosaurus looks better now, but the head still somewhat too big, maybe you can look at Leid's post for the head?
R.I.P
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Anti-Aliasing

And I would guess "forged" is an antonym to "Anti-Aliased". See the link :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

hhyloc wrote:The stegosaurus looks better now, but the head still somewhat too big, maybe you can look at Leid's post for the head?
Actually, even better than that. Look at leid's post for the whole thing. References are needed for this sort of ting.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!