Official art thread for "Dinosaurs!"

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Hulavuta

Re: Dinosaurs!

Post by Hulavuta »

Ech, I have been extremely EXTREMELY caught up with school (having marching band 3 nights a week doesn't help) so I haven't been online or on the forums at all for a bit. Right now I have homework, so I can't really put up much.

Mountain_King: Expect a reply to your PM today or tomorrow. I'll get to it ASAP.

One question, are you really planning to go serious with the caveman thing? IIRC, dinosaurs and humans never co-existed. And in my opinion, adding cavemen would kind of ruin it.

Another thing, IIRC, some studies suggest that dinosaurs with long necks were not like giraffes. While a giraffe would use its long neck to get food higher in the trees, dinos with horizontal necks had long necks simply to balance their tails, which were used in defense.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Hulavuta wrote: One question, are you really planning to go serious with the caveman thing? IIRC, dinosaurs and humans never co-existed. And in my opinion, adding cavemen would kind of ruin it.
No, not planning to go all out on caveman. The half-naked, club wielding brute is a hackneyed stereotype which I wouldn't think of using for one minute. The "caveman" I plan on using as a fighter unit in my campaign (he's some powerful warrior dude who has kind of let himself go, so to speak).
As a matter of fact, there is some body of evidence that humans had a working knowledge of dinosaurs before any fossils were dug up...unless you believe that ancient man was made up of all archeologists.
to save space:
That doesn't mean I would include humans in this; The focus of this era is and always will be on dinosaurs and closely associated extinct creatures. Besides, there are way too many human sprites in Wesnoth. :P Case closed.

Hulavuta wrote:Another thing, IIRC, some studies suggest that dinosaurs with long necks were not like giraffes. While a giraffe would use its long neck to get food higher in the trees, dinos with horizontal necks had long necks simply to balance their tails, which were used in defense.
It was easier to make him with the neck up and tail curled. This is why:
See the resemblance?
See the resemblance?
dragon_baseframe.png (9.91 KiB) Viewed 6340 times
I'm glad to hear you hadn't got swallowed up by schoolwork (like I am probably about to be... :whistle: ).

@Reapurr: Yeah, it's very WIP. I kind of hoped no-one would notice the contrast of tails, :) Back to the drawing board.
Last edited by Mountain_King on September 21st, 2010, 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Eh,I more meant that in reply to others. Brachiosaurus has a longer neck right? Perhaps a quick palette swap and some head nostrils would work?
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

\Me thinks Hulavuta doesn't like it when people disagree with him. heh heh.

Quick palette swap+ head nostrils it is, then. Voile! The Brachiosaurus lives!
Ain't it so cute, it just makes you want to cry?
Ain't it so cute, it just makes you want to cry?
Brachiosaurus.png (10.49 KiB) Viewed 6284 times
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

I can see the bits you replaced by the lack of shading, generally. Put more shading on. And the top bit on its head looks really, really bad.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

It's only after making improvements that you can see how horrible the thing was you had before....

Some fixes to the head, removal of solid black outline, and some modifications to the neck (that never looked right to me...).
Better?
Better?
Brachiosaurus.png (11.01 KiB) Viewed 6246 times
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

the shadow looks... odd
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

:eng: If you want to learn how to sprite properly, your not really going the right way about it, let me make that clear now.

Not saying that you have to, if you don't want to, then that's fine. :)
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

If you're talking about the shadow, that was an accidental leftover from Sauropod #1.
Frogger5 wrote: :eng: If you want to learn how to sprite properly, your not really going the right way about it, let me make that clear now.

Not saying that you have to, if you don't want to, then that's fine. :)
Then please, enlighten me. If there is a proper way, :idea: which there appears there is, then I would certainly want to do it. Up to this point I have only been engaging in making creative frankensteins. So, what is the "proper" way to sprite? The art tutorials on the wiki did not help me any.
me moping:
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

I'll check you up on that one in a PM a bit later.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Mountain_King
Translator

Re: Official art thread for "Dinosaurs!"

Post by Mountain_King »

Soooo, while I got bored waiting for Frogger5 to write back, I found a sprite for a "Saurian Slave" unit from Lord knows where. Hulavuta, it's the naked Saurian I dreamed about!! :lol2: It gave me an idea for a compsognathus with skirmisher and many custom AMLA's. :P ..... .... ..........................................................................
Hulavuta, are you out there??? :augh:
Anyways, here it is. An image. :D I still have not gotten GIMP installed on the brand new computer so I have not done any new work myself. Look for more frequent stuff here when my campaign is finished.
hee hee.
hee hee.
saurian-slave.png (1.54 KiB) Viewed 6151 times
:hmm: methinks I could take a couple hints from IME on developing unit trees...
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Oh dammit! Sorry I forgot. :doh:

Check your PMs.

Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Here is some lines on a rework of the lvl 2 pterodactyl. I'm going to attempt the whole thing from scratch. (cross your fingers, folks.)
no shading, little of nothing. lines + color. Starting simple. ;)
no shading, little of nothing. lines + color. Starting simple. ;)
prelimptero.png (628 Bytes) Viewed 6097 times
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

{RISE_UP_RISE_UP} The dino art thread has returned! I figured I should necro this now while I'm thinking about it, being that I'm the OP and all that. Start watching for new art appearing in this thread soon!
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

It glides in three dimensions!
pterolizard.png
pterolizard.png (3.5 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!