Official art thread for "Dinosaurs!"

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
kyi_the_bard

Re: Dinosaurs!

Post by kyi_the_bard »

Umm... I have these laying around in one of my 'unused' folders so if you want to use these I'll post 'em.
Attachments
dinos.PNG
dinos.PNG (4.2 KiB) Viewed 5772 times
Meow
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

:shock:
Very nice I say
A little modification (I'll leave this for art guys) and those could make some nice dinosaurs. :D
R.I.P
SFault

Post by SFault »

Dragonchampion wrote:Now we need cavemen to go with the dinos. :lol2:
Fast frankensteined caveman.
Attachments
caveman.png
caveman.png (1.88 KiB) Viewed 5703 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Wow. A lot to reply to. I have made some modifications to the lvl 3, but I'm on the wrong computer now so I can't post it ATM.

@dragonchampion: What do you think Ice Age Fun was for?

@Dixie: Like I said, the lvl 1 and lvl 2 were cave drakes made by Neorice for FtF. lvl 2 is a bit too humanoid, but it will work for placeholder while I find a better in between for lvls 1 and 3. I am hesitant to add shading to the wing membranes on the lvl 3, because I like how they are transparent. Overall, the pterosaurs had small tails, small feet, and small claws. (I'm not counting the ramphorhyncus cause they're tiny all over) Thus, I have made them one of the few dinosaurs to have a ranged attack. You'll see what I mean when this gets further along.

@fog: If Grom had a spear or club I would already be using him.

@kyi_bard: If you can make them less pointy and anime-ish, I would almost certainly use some of them.

@Sfault: Me likes. :D If you can give him a bigger club and maybe some TC breeches I can use him for my campaign. (He looks level two or three to me, but his club looks lvl one)
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Hulavuta wrote:Little nitpicks: I think the horns on the trike should be a little longer. If you take a look at some triceratops heads, the top two horns were actually much longer than the bottom. Maybe it should be switched around a bit?

The Rex's arms should be shorter as well. IIRC, In most cases, the Rex could barely reach its neck (if it ever could).

The Rex looks like it has odd horns on its head, which is completely wrong.
The colors don't look very Dinosaury, IMO. But no one really knows what dinosaur skin looked like, everything now is just an educated guess, so do what you like.
On that note: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8481448stm
Feufochmar wrote:The terror birds are not from the dinosaur period, they came after the disparition of the dinosaurs.
However, if you see current representations of the carnivorous dinosaurs (theropods), they are mostly represented with feathers, not scales. For exemple, see the wikipedia article on the velociraptor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velociraptor), notably this image.
Actually, birds are now considered to be a type of Dinosaur:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_birds
Wikipedia wrote:To date, most researchers support the view that birds are a group of therapod dinosaurs that evolved during the Mesozoic Era.
Attachment:
File comment: I reveal my true colors as a frankentriener. muahahahaha!

saur.png [ 9.46 KiB | Viewed 77 times ]
Keep in mind that not all Sauropods nessissarily held their necks vertically. Some likely had their necks stretched out horizontally (ie, Diplodocus).

Also, do not have the tails drag on the ground. Interesting fact about dinosaurs: out of all the large number of dinosaur tracks, none (so far as I am aware) includes tale-drag marks. :wink:
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

I am curious how you found these comments from the other pages, but did not see my responses to them.
The rex is an obvious frankie of the fire dragon, which is why he still has horns.

btw, the BBC link doesn't work ATM. However, I have read much on that particular subject. The melanosomes in question did not necessarily come from feathers. The melanosomes could have just as easily come from skin, or be misidentified bacteria, as Alan Feduccia was quoted in ScienceNOW; furthermore this would only give us a color on one dinosaur, when there are over fifty distinct types of dinos. I would encourage you to look at the actual fossil:
Look for yourself. I don't see feathers, I see bristles, perhaps even collagen fibres, such as those that connect to a frill, like on the bearded lizard.:
I am aware of the sauropod necks and tail placement, but this version fits better in the hex. It was also easier to frankenstien. It's tail is (in game) about as flexible as a diplodocus' and as long as a cedar tree. The neck is more like a Camarasaurus', so FTTB I'm calling it a "Brontosaurus". :lol2:
I'll be posting the modified pterodactyl within the next several hours.
One quick question, does anybody have the frames for the original saurian WC?

Big EDIT: Have some new images to run by y'all.
new version. compare with old version up there. ^
new version. compare with old version up there. ^
pterodactylfire.png (11.25 KiB) Viewed 5580 times
Also, this egg I found in the Wesnoth Kaempfer era:
kind of roly-poly, isn't it?
kind of roly-poly, isn't it?
egg.png (1.14 KiB) Viewed 5580 times
Now, for an opinion question. Is there any dinosaur you can think of that could be modified off of this sprite (baby version of course)?
I can't decide what kind of dino this could work for, what do YOU think?
I can't decide what kind of dino this could work for, what do YOU think?
drake-hatchling.png (1007 Bytes) Viewed 5580 times
That's all for now. Be back soon. :)
Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

I figured that you might want to see what the dinos look like in game, so as to get a better idea of how they work. The pterodactyl unit tree is outlined, but the level two is about to undergo a big revision.
Spoiler:
EXTERMINATE!!!!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

That egg sure is saturated. Using duller colors will make it look more realistic.

EDIT: Typo
Last edited by artisticdude on August 26th, 2010, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Mountain_King wrote:Also, this egg I found in the Wesnoth Kaempfer era:
Uh, that egg sprite was ripped from the fourth-gen Pokémon games, so I wouldn't use it if I were you.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/u ... /DPEgg.png
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Hey Mountain_King, here's something you might be interested in. :whistle:
Espreon wrote:Uh, that egg sprite was ripped from the fourth-gen Pokémon games, so I wouldn't use it if I were you.
It should be easy enough to create your own anyway. Eggs aren't hard to sprite. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Espreon wrote: Uh, that egg sprite was ripped from the fourth-gen Pokémon games, so I wouldn't use it if I were you.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/u ... /DPEgg.png
Oh. I did not know that (never cared for Pokemon, so I thought it was a cheap imitation of a Yoshi egg). Now I need to make my own. Still not on correct computer or would have something to show for it (durn real life).

@artisticdude: Ooh, someone with a blue name! (j/k congrats on becoming art contrib btw) Methinks I shall have to hold on to that baby dragon image. It's neutral enough it could be used for several dino recruit animations (hatch!).
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Mountain_King
Translator

Mountain King's non-dinos: "Caveman"

Post by Mountain_King »

So, I haven't got the dino egg working to my own standards yet, but I started playing with SFault's caveman image. The result:
This guy's going to crash you and bash you and beat you all up! Do you dare to disagree with him?
This guy's going to crash you and bash you and beat you all up! Do you dare to disagree with him?
galloglach.png (3.39 KiB) Viewed 5364 times
Last edited by Mountain_King on September 7th, 2010, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

The spam that followed this post was split to here at the OP's request. Let's not do this again people. :)

Reference and discussion are part of critique yes, but you guys were starting to get pretty far away from the art. It took us twelve hours, thirty-seven volunteer rescue workers, five police officers, and a helicopter to find it again.

Mountain_King: If you want, I have a fully team-colored (all magenta) version of that baby drake laying around on my hard drive somewhere. It lets you recolor it to any color you want. I convert a lot of things to full TC.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Gambit wrote:Mountain_King: If you want, I have a fully team-colored (all magenta) version of that baby drake laying around on my hard drive somewhere. It lets you recolor it to any color you want. I convert a lot of things to full TC.
Yes I would like it, please. Thank you x2 ;)

Also, I have a Ornithopod sprite modified from one of the lizard riders in the franken-pack:
Something that still needs some cleanup.
Something that still needs some cleanup.
gallamimus.png (5.13 KiB) Viewed 5254 times
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

The dinosaur geek of me speaking:
Gallimimus (chicken mimic) - I don't think it should slouch so much. It is part of a group of theropods [carnivorous hunting dinosaurs] which have eerie resemblances to ostriches.

Annoying dinosaur critic stuff aside, the head looks a little fuzzy at the edge and the tail seems to have a different scale pattern (e.g. it's non-shiny dark green skin rather than green patterned scales). Also, the shadow seems too fuzzy to fit in with normal shadows.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!