EVILEST's 'Chaos' stuff

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
EVILEST

EVILEST's 'Chaos' stuff

Post by EVILEST »

Ok, so here's the first of many 'Chaos' portraits/redesigns to come.

The warrior line branches into offensive and defensive units, so here is a WIP of a defensive warrior. The overall look of these guys is pretty much up in the air, but I wanted them to look like warriors serving under a corrupted deity made of light.

I imagine that there's probably going to be quite a few changes to the overall design before it's finished, as I'm still trying to figure out the design.
Attachments
UrianDefWarrior.png
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: EVILEST's 'Chaos' stuff

Post by Zerovirus »

...Holy [censored].

I have something to sprite now. Thanks :P
Fog

Post by Fog »

Give me the name of that sun god, I must bow down to him!

That is freaking awsome!!!.... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

And quit imagining, I don't believe this guy needs any changes to the "Overall Design".
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

IIRC, the Chaos humans worship the demon-god Uriah (or mother of the demons, or something like that), but they might as well have asociated it with the sun or something. Great portrait :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'd be inclined to tone down the GOLD!! but otherwise this looks awesome. Nice work.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
King_Elendil

Post by King_Elendil »

:shock: Man this is just amazing! The amount of detail is literally jaw-dropping. I would honestly post some critique if I saw anything wrong, but I just don't. I can't wait to see this finished (and I can't wait to see Zorevirus's sprites...), Really nice work.
I'm finally admitting that this will be a very long (if not permanent) Wesbreak. Thank y'all for the great times, and may Wesnoth rise to become one of the most popular games on the planet.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

I must look like a little boy outside a sweetshop window.
That is amazing.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I would brighten up the sword to make it stand out (in depth sense) better, now it looks like it's parallel to the canvas and not much closer to viewer that the body.

Other than that, totally awesomeful. 8)
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
EVILEST

Post by EVILEST »

Ok, so I've been coming up with alternatives. After the first test, the decision was to try for a more malevolent appearance, and to hopefully make the armor more advanced looking. It's not supposed to be high tech, but forged in ways unknown to the rest of the world.
thespaceinvader wrote:GOLD!!
I suppose it's still sort of gold all over... but overall more of a bronze tone. :P If need be, I can desaturate the thing and reglaze it to any color, as it's pretty monochromatic. We could try cold steel tones, or maybe a red. I went for gold/yellow since yellow is supposed to be the color of Uria.

It's a step backwards in terms of completeness, although I do like the design more.
Attachments
UrianDoomguard2 copy.png
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The design starts to get over-the-top, and it has the same problem with the sword. The sword is closest to the viewer and thus should be the most visible part, I see no logic in making it disappear like that. As I see it, the portrait has two natural focal points, the face and the sword, the sword really should stand out much better.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
cretin

Post by cretin »

hmmm on a personal preference I prefer the first one more (maybe because of completeness). I dont know, maybe it because uriandefwarrior makes me think thats what the Aztec's would have dressed up in if they had worked advanced iron-working.
boru

Post by boru »

Don't dump the first portrait, the images could work as a pair ... what the warriors looked like generations ago, before they became corrupted, and then what they became.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

They might also work as an L2/L3 pair, showing the progression toward more demonic features.

Note that these aren't soldiers in service of Uria. They are soldiers of a cult/empire that is more likely to worship a 'deity' that is controlled by Uria. Only very few people even know what she really is.

Of course, that means a horde of random fans will take the name Uria and run with it as some generic satanic being. ;) (the names 'demon' and 'inferno' are unfortunate, it's just that shadowmaster couldn't think of anything better)
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

...Hm.

Has EVILEST run our semi-fanmade complexified philosophy-backstory by you guys yet? I doubt you guys will take all of it as canon, but it's worth a read in my opinion.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I know you said you were trying to come up with a completely new design, so take this as you will. For a "chaos" armored unit, I would expect it's armor to consist of more than just one or two materials. I think the gold plate armor could be mixed with other colors/types of armor. For example: other colored plate armor, yak hide and chains, small bits of chainmail/ringmail, etc.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."