The War of Terrador - Complete overhaul time!

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Kanapka

Re: The War of Terrador - Complete overhaul time!

Post by Kanapka »

Fog wrote:...unless someone sees something!
Unfortunately I don't like your Grenadier. And it's the 'you probably need to start over' kind of dislikement. But fortunately for you I have some advice that I believe will help you:
- MOAR CONTRAST. I mean that the darkest color you use should be around black (maybe have a brightness of 7 or so), and the lightest should be almost white. Contrasting hue and saturation also helps a lot (you move the hue towards blue as the color gets darker and increase the saturation as the color gets darker) (that's a mindless rule, but it helps. You may want to read more on color theory)
- Less colors - having four or five colors forces you to have high contrast. It also makes it easier to control the colors - you don't have that many colors to chose from.
- Reference - it's hard to get the perspective and positions of every limb without a reference, and Google makes it quite easy to find a photo of someone doing the thing you want to portray.

It's been said over and over again on these forums and everyone heard about it, but you need to actually *do* it - for the next guy pick a reference, prepare a palette of no more than 15 colors (that's three for magneta, five shades of one color, four shades of another and you have three shades left - and you can use darkest shade of one color as darkest shade ever to save some shades).

The preachy tone is cool, I should do this more often.

Anyway, I've made a Grenadier. It may be a bit too bulky, and has some issues, like the back leg not being back enough and the front arm's forearm not being front enough (and probably to small), and probably some stuff I don't see now. If you want to edit and fix him, go ahead. If you're going to make a totally new version of Grenadier and discard this one, go ahead - it was one of the rare situations when I try to redraw someone's stuff to help him and I'm actually happy enough with the result to post it.
Attachments
grenadier2.png
grenadier2.png (1.62 KiB) Viewed 4330 times
Fog

Post by Fog »

Nope, yours is fine and mine has no need to be used.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Wow, epic. Yeah, I think that one is a good replacement for the current sprite.
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

TC'd it for you. Also, I found the face... irritating somehow, so I provided an edited version (which I'm not whatsoever demanding you use). I hope I'm not being too intrusive.

edit : Deleted grenadier2.1.png.
Attachments
TC'd + edited face
TC'd + edited face
grenadier2.2.png (3.46 KiB) Viewed 4262 times
Last edited by 8680 on April 18th, 2011, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

Yeah, now I can see there was something messed up with the visor, thanks for catching that, 8680. You're not being intrusive, that's my posts looking mean without me meaning it.
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

I never said your posts were mean.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

@Moribund - Wasn't sure if that was directed towards me. Please elaborate.

Dragonchampion: Is the Gunner sprite ok to shade? Or would you like to see more?
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Gunner as in Zederian? I can't remember if there was a unit named the Gunner or not. Been a while since I went into the mod itself thanks to lack of time.
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

Dipsey:
I see two issues with the Gunner:
- the camera angle: I'm pretty sure the units should be seen from ~45 degrees angle, and here the camera is almost on the same level that the unit
- unit facing - right now it looks like he's facing in the direction of the red arrow, while I think it should be more like the green arrow.
gunner.png
gunner.png (992 Bytes) Viewed 4166 times
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Kanapka: Ok, thanks. I'll work on the facing. Right now tho I think it's due to the lack of shading.

Dragonchampion: Zederian, yes. I just couldn't remember the name of the race.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Here's a infected.
Attachments
infected.png
infected.png (1.92 KiB) Viewed 4086 times
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Now I really like that style. It also keeps with the "humanoid-infected" view I have in my mind. However, its arms look a bit odd, I cannot put my finger on it.