Art for Wose Faction

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Phyreprooph

Re: Art for Wose Faction

Post by Phyreprooph »

Well as most of you have probably already noticed my wose faction post has been pretty much moved to the "Faction and Era development" but just in case any of you art workshoppers are still interested, we've made exceptional progress. And by exceptional. That means not much. =] But there are quite a few idea being thrown around and the progress on the faction is becoming interesting.

I've made concept art for quite a few units such as a water-based unit and other such but we have just finished work on a strangler wose which still needs animations and is in need of some TC.
Anyone have a clue where the TC should go?
Anyone have a clue where the TC should go?
strangler-wose.png (2.6 KiB) Viewed 3988 times
I've also made a base sprite for a level 3 cactose which is still maybe, maybe not which is why it isn't quite finished.
cactose-L3-concept-2.png
cactose-L3-concept-2.png (1.95 KiB) Viewed 3988 times
We're still in need of an artist to give a toadstool wose a try. My earlier attempt was terrible but the sick line seems to have been out voted and replaced by the shrooms.

That's the little up-date for anyone who is interested and also if you want to jump in on the discussion it's an open invitation. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30104
Everything is edible, some things just aren't good for you.

Current Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30104
SFault

Post by SFault »

Strangler looks great. Perhaps TC could be in fruits, flowers or hanging vines.

Cactose seem to have two arms (the flat colored ones) and something sticking out from the pelvis area :whistle:
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

I really like the strangler, and I think Sfault is right about fruit/flowers/vines. I'd suggest something other than "strangler" for a name, as it seems a little blunt for the Wose. Wirewood wose (wirewose), tanglewood wose (tanglewose), something a that says something other than "I serve no purpose in wose ecology/society aside from killin' things."

As for the Cactuar... err cactose- the newest version is definitely more intimidating. Shifting it's left (our right) "arm" down so it's halfway between the two branches on the other side might mitigate SFault's perception. I'm a little thrown by the remaining "brain bulge" I think Sgt. Groovy might be right, though at the very least it probably shouldn't flare out at the top.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Strangler wose comes from Strangler Fig. It's an apt description of what they do.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

Fair enough, pretty cool, and definitely something that differentiates the Wose from the typical image of the "tree shepherd" type ent-creature.

I assume the unit description will explain something about that.
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

The L3 Cactose is supposed to have like 3 branches. The one far right and far left don't have shading on them yet as I haven't been sure whether to continue on or not. Also the far left one is supposed to be coming out of his back sort of but like i said, there's no shading to convey that.

I tried giving the strangler coloured leaves for TC and although it sounds weird it looks kinda alright in my opinion. But it's still kinda weird.
Attachments
strangler-wose-TC.png
strangler-wose-TC.png (2.63 KiB) Viewed 3901 times

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

From just a quick glance at your work, I'd say you could use more contrast throughout. Currently the shades you use are far too similar. Study the mainline wose palette, and you'll see far more contrast in the shades that make up the palette. Contrast gives an image a more realistic 3D look, and the less contrast you use the flatter the images will look.

Other than the above-mentioned problem, I really like the strangler-wose. It's a cool idea. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

Yeh I have realised that. Especially in the leaves of the Strangler, they look very...not...contrasty. :? I placed it next to the mainline wose and the leaves look much more cushion-like on the strangler. To me it must just look out of place with big splotches of bright colours next to the darker ones. I think I automatically look for it to smoothly fit together nicely while making it more contrasting gives the same effect once you've finished with it. I'll give it a try but I may end up giving up. It's probably got to do also with the fact that I'm quite lazy. I only used like 4 or 5 colours for the leaves when the mainline has like almost 10 in it's palette. If anyone else can be bothered they can give contrasting it up a try then go for it, I could use some help with my sprite art as I'm quite new to it.

Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

How about now?
Attachments
strangler-wose-TC.png
strangler-wose-TC.png (2.65 KiB) Viewed 3855 times

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Better, but still needs much more contrast.

Also, watch your lightsources. The light source in the standard Wesnoth sprite comes from the upper right. This light source is sort of portrayed by the body of the strangler, but not so much by the foliage. Adding more contrast will help determine the lightsource, but it won't fix faulty lightsources.

One last nitpick: Specular highlights are never directly at the edge of an object unless the light is coming from directly behind them. Rather, presuming the standard Wesnoth lightsource, specular highlights should be on the right side of the object, roughly midway between the right edge and the middle of the object (although this of course depends on the object in question).
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

And here it is. Don't know how much better I can make it look but if anyone wants to try and perk it up I give them permission. :?
Attachments
strangler-wose-TC.png
strangler-wose-TC.png (2.63 KiB) Viewed 3770 times

Luroch_Delkar
Location: Some people are in homes, some are in cars, I am in-sane.

Post by Luroch_Delkar »

Idea for a shrub death animation. When I picture it dieing i see it exploding like a pile of leaves that someone jumped in. Poof, leaves scatter everywhere.

Oh and here is a simple idle animation.
Attachments
your base shrub
your base shrub
wose-shrub.png (2.62 KiB) Viewed 3649 times
midway through blinking(shrub-idle1.png)
midway through blinking(shrub-idle1.png)
wose-shrub-idle1.png (2.63 KiB) Viewed 3649 times
eyes closed(shrub-idle2.png)
eyes closed(shrub-idle2.png)
wose-shrub-idle2.png (2.68 KiB) Viewed 3649 times
eyes half open(shrub-idle1.png)
eyes half open(shrub-idle1.png)
wose-shrub-idle1.png (2.63 KiB) Viewed 3649 times
eyes open(base shrub)
eyes open(base shrub)
wose-shrub.png (2.62 KiB) Viewed 3649 times
"The Enforcer knows only one way to preserve peace. So mind your neighbors else it will descend upon you." Sword of the Stars Forever
HAPPINESS=Moderation, Variety, and Love
Current Projects: Jailbreak (RPG)(3/4 completed) , Dungeonmaster Era
Luroch_Delkar

Post by Luroch_Delkar »

Oh, now I see why Phyreprooph doubleposted so much.
Here is a concept sprite for the death animation.

P.S I am thinking maybe there should even be a final animation where the leaves are falling/piled on the ground. These sprites are just quick frankensteins, I'm sure you could touch them up if you decide to use them.
Attachments
your base shrub
your base shrub
wose-shrub.png (2.62 KiB) Viewed 3640 times
Leaves preparing to scatter
Leaves preparing to scatter
wose-shrub-die1.png (3.25 KiB) Viewed 3640 times
Bye bye shrub
Bye bye shrub
wose-shrub-die2.png (4.43 KiB) Viewed 3640 times
"The Enforcer knows only one way to preserve peace. So mind your neighbors else it will descend upon you." Sword of the Stars Forever
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

Hahaha cool as. :P I love the exploding idea. That's awesome If you could work on that so that the leaves fall to the ground and disappear, that'd be awesome. :D I'm very caught up trying to add animations to the other woses. :P As far as the idle goes maybe after he's closed his eyes he could like shake his head a bit like a dog. :P but that may be tricky. :\

Luroch_Delkar

Post by Luroch_Delkar »

I actually have already toyed with a shaking animation, but was thinking it could be an alternate idle thing. I like your idea better though. I still need to touch these up, they are practically my first png images. The shake animations are currently just a skewing of the image, but I'm going to mess with the feet to make it look like just its ¿head? is shaking.
Attachments
before shaking
before shaking
wose-shrub.png (2.62 KiB) Viewed 3600 times
wose-shrub-idle-shake1.png
wose-shrub-idle-shake1.png (3.87 KiB) Viewed 3600 times
wose-shrub-idle-shake2.png
wose-shrub-idle-shake2.png (3.95 KiB) Viewed 3600 times
wose-shrub-idle-shake3.png
wose-shrub-idle-shake3.png (4.01 KiB) Viewed 3600 times
what it will look like after shaking is done
what it will look like after shaking is done
wose-shrub.png (2.62 KiB) Viewed 3600 times