Temple is finished - Big Upload on page 4!

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dixie

Re: Temple is finished/Straight castle walls

Post by Dixie »

Well, it's hard to picture what "3 pixels" would look like just like that... For me, at least. Maybe make a 3-pixels version and a 5-pixels one and upload a mini picture? Or something like that, anyway. But maybe 3 is enough...?
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Tet wrote:@em3: The architrave would block a lot of the unit standing behind. So if the columns are high, there can not be an architrave. (Small coulumns you would not want. It would look like a handrail.) I do however think of a stonehenge-typ temple-structure, which could have elements like an architrave.
It's a bit hard to know where units normally fit with this, but if an architrave would cover most units that wouldn't be good.
Tet wrote:Lets focus on mainline:
Columns should be little shorter. Dixie suggested some pixels, too. That sounds to me like 3 pixels. Anybody wants more or less?
I'd like to see some common units properly positioned behind the pillars before settling on the hight. If we leave the inner row of pillars 5 or 6 pixels at least would be needed.
Tet wrote:About the "inner circle": If you forget the statues, there is still some nice combinations for colums with frames and without frames. The frame is currently defined to only show up at the rim of the temple. I could supply files without statues.
I think it may work best without anything in the inner circle at all-- that would take care of the double-stacked pillar effect.

Map-makers could alternate rings of temple and non-temple floor if they wanted additional series of pillars.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Tet

Post by Tet »

Well the inner colums are free to place. Technical they are a different castle with defined transition to the ones with frames. Frames show up only if on the outside.

The frontal column is in front of the unit. Big units show up with uppers chest and head. Regular units I would have to try. There is however the unit hight adjust thingy. Right now it is only set on 3 I believe.

If you are asking 5-6, I can make 6 too. I still believe the temple proportion might be endangered. I did smaller and shorter columns a while ago and they totally did not fly.

I am not so happy of making to many versions as there are many files involved. 4 could be enough, but there are 6 as I uses the traditional castle logic. Then there is concave and convenvex which makes it 12. They are the same, but the files are needed. Then the inner circle about 20 all different, including variety and the transitions another 8 or so.

I go for 6 than.

I post an add for columns in caves. Please ignore the statues. I just want to show the feature "no frames" in action. In the midlle is the classic temple and there are no frames visual due to transition.

6 seems to be working. There will be a lot of the unit behind the column anyway. I would urge you to consider it a feature and not a bug. The units stick out left and right. The elipse is visual. I never missed a unit, because it was behind a column.

@em3: There was originally no more room to put thinks higher. There is actually a cut off at the castle tower tiles. Now I suppose there are 6 pixels to put something on the colums again. However the angle might lead to some cut-off corners. You mostlikely mean to put something like the lower frame on the columns as upper frame?
Attachments
outer-columns-6.png
outer-columns-6-2.png
outer-columns-6-3.png
advertising-columns-no_frame-ignore_statues.png
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
Tet

Post by Tet »

So here are some regular units inside. I abused Dead Water Scenario 1. Sorry to beattlenut.

Unit hight adjust is put to 9.
On the Altar it is put to 30 to make the unit stand on it like a podium. The elipse is put down by submerge=-0,7.
It would be cool, if the elipse could go under the "podium" Help for layer would be great.

The bats have layer=60. That is not good. I removed it making it default.

The elipse is getting over the left and right column. Not good. Some layering should help. I use actually smaller elipses.
Help for layering would be apriciated.

Here is the eye candy.
Attachments
reg-units-1.png
reg-units-1.png (156.91 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
reg-units-2.png
reg-units-2.png (206.66 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

The temple art looks awesome. It could definitely make a lot of mainline maps a lot better. Definitely amazing work, but something doesn't quite seem right when it's placed with the units.

How would it look if you halved the number of pillars? Perhaps that would avoid clashing with the unit art since it seems that they're the same perspective as the units. Right now it looks like a prison since they wouldn't be able to realistically squeeze through. For instance, in the top picture, you'd take out all the non-corner pillars. In the bottom, you'd just have one in between the corners instead of 3. I realize terrain is abstract compared to unit scale, but it just doesn't seem aesthetically correct to have them squeeze through those tiny paths... think the wall terrain here, not castles (since the castle walls don't really raise up too much).

Again, great terrain, and it could see use in a lot of campaigns. I only posted a nitpick comment because I think it's good.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
boru

Post by boru »

It could work as a colonnade, a long straight line, but I think it needs fewer columns for a temple. I wouldn't take out the "non-corner" columns, I'd take out the corner ones, so the units won't be obscured.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Tet

Post by Tet »

I actually did take out the corner columns on that part without frames. I replaced the statues with columns and deleted the original columns. It is nice and works, but it is getting a little to smooth again.

I made a new thingy on the columns top. As I shortend by 6 pixel there was same space.

I am using that colum on the inner parts now, as this column will never be in front of a unit.

I made an animation! Not sure if it can be implemented.

I made the altar into a podium.
I made the regular versions makeshift/brooken, soiled/blooded, Evil(pink lights) and good (yellow lights)
Right now they show up random. They all can be placed as overlay on the basic podium.

I think it would be good to place them as overlay by hand according to the story. You could even put it in the story: Go to temple and brake the podium/altar. Or clean it or whatever.
Attachments
new-podium-new-noframes.png
new-podium-new-noframes.png (217.6 KiB) Viewed 5202 times
new-no-frames.png
temple-altar.png
temple-altar.png (3.73 KiB) Viewed 5206 times
Animation-3Ly.gif
Animation-3Ly.gif (25.83 KiB) Viewed 5206 times
Fog

Post by Fog »

All columns that I know of do not have anything like whatever that thingy is on top. Thinning out the columns worked very well in no-new-frames.png!
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Reminds me of an airport control tower. :P
Tet

Post by Tet »

He guys, It actually reminded me of some lighthouse too. I am not convinced that the lighted column will make it near to mainline. I just needed to see which column I am getting with the transitions. They can be easily replaced by standard columns. I still think there is room for different looking columns. From my perspectiv the "dense columns with frames" and the "less dense columns without frames" go well together.

@fog:
I totally agree, that shortening the columns by 6 pixels was very good advice and worked out really good. The thinned out columns are usefull for landscaping and go well with the dense columns. I do not belief, that the thinned out columns would go well with the frame. The thinned out columns can give an appearance of a room beiing turned 45 degrees. That does not go with the frame.

I sent you some more examples.
Attachments
new-temple.png
new-temple2.png
new-no-frames2.png
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

i like the temple ..

where to download it ?
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Tet

Post by Tet »

Well that is a good question. I intent to post everything here. In a short while.

I was just hoping to get some more "important" feedback, before I turn it over.

I feel like I reached my limits at these project.

I did a few things this week.

I made a chasm transition. I like temple over chasm. It looks cool.

I made a new placing for the 8 columns on the frame around a single hex. I basically put 2 columns at each side, instead of one in each corner and one in the middle of each side. It has issues of its own, but only minor. You can see the regular unit beween the column is the main benefit. It probably makes it more mainlinish.

It does not go with reduced columns no frames so far. It goes with water and chasm transition.
Attachments
chasm-transition-new.png
chasm-transition-new.png (183.63 KiB) Viewed 5034 times
new-8-fin-2.png
new-8-fin-2.png (267.03 KiB) Viewed 5034 times
new-8-fin-1.png
new-8-fin-1.png (242.85 KiB) Viewed 5034 times
new-keep-first-try.png
new-keep-first-try.png (81.45 KiB) Viewed 5034 times
Tet

Post by Tet »

Ok, I share what i have. I really do not like double posts.
I found a meaning for "Plastiki"! It is a ship built out of plastic bottles by David de Rothshield! Does it mean my columns look like recycled?

Lets start with the code. There are three files to be altered to make it work like on my computer. terrain.cfg terrain-graphics.cfg and transitions_base.cfg.

The last one is altered because I need a transition-nw-ne. This can probably be solved differently by using wall transitions. But right now I use it fore the transition between frames and water as well as frames and chasm. I will post the full file as order really maters here.

So terrain.cfg first
Spoiler:

terrain-graphics next. I have it placed between castle floors and castle walls so that is actually next to each other.
There is same alteration of the chasm code which is further down. So the chasm code should replace similar looking lines without temple.
Spoiler:
Here the chasm part The last line is altered the second last is additional. The other lines are original to find the place in the file
Spoiler:
Here comes my transitions_base.cfg. I will post it in one of the rar files later.
Spoiler:
So that would be the coding. I will provide the needed fileswhich have to go into terrain/castles in the rar file.
I will include the new placed columns in a separate file, the the frontal columns, which will go well with the no frame columns will be there, where the code goes. It is really easy to replace the graphics by another picture set by the way. Ok I post that and start making the zip. I might include some resources allong with the transition_base.cfg. I update that in a short while.

EDIT: The RAR is ready. There are no statues included in the RAR. The folder is still called statues for historical reasons. All columns are the new shortend columns. There are different transition sets. The so called "New8" is what I was posting as last try in the pictures. In the files I placed the files with columns on each corner. I include the thined out colums with transitions. These are in the folder statues. Statues are not there any more. The soiled altar is not there either. Drop me some feedback.
Attachments
temple share.rar
(601.76 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Tet wrote:Ok, I share what i have. Drop me some feedback.
thx a ton man. i realy like your effort and hope i can put this to some eyecandy-use in an upcoming map. :)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Midnight_Carnival

Re: Temple is finished - Big Upload on page 4!

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

I'm really impressed.
Have you considered other indoor spaces like dungeons and castles?
Also could you do some ruined temple stuff?
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.