Dixie's Internet Meme Era Art Thread

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Kanapka

Re: Dixie's Internet Meme Era Art Thread

Post by Kanapka »

I'd say sprites are way more important than animations now. According to Unit trees the most complete faction (ninjas) lacks six sprites, and the others need over fifteen each. Even if triffids won't be in IME 1.0, there's still about 80 sprites to draw.

Edit:
Alternate branch for Scallywag.
Alternate branch for Scallywag.
dragon.png (2.08 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
I'd need some comments of this, especially the jacket (if the color and shape are ok). I know one shoe is bigger than the other, I'll fix that.

More editing:
Actually I think that the feet look ok, but there's some shading to improve.
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

I realized that editing the last post didn't bump the thread, so I'm bumping it now.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Sorry I hadn't noticed your update :S What I do in those cases is "edit" my previous post, copy it all in a text document, then I go and delete the post, and make a new one with all the original text plus the edit I wanted to add.

I have two main comments about this unit. First, it's pretty, pretty similar to its alternate, the Gunner. You might want to vary it: give him a hat? A beard? A different kinda coat? He should also look a bit more bad-ass, seeing how he doesn't have a level up and the gunner does (kinda like the Deathblade and the Revenant). I feel that just the pose and scarf is not enough to really make him unique.

Second comment, this sprite was designed with him having a blunderbuss. It might not be as obvious on this picture as it is in comic books and the like, but it should be a shorter, more massive rifle, with the end of the cannon trumpet-shaped. His attack deals collateral damage when it its, the gun should spray tiny bullet over a wide area.

Keep it up! :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

I'll recolor his coat. I tried to make a beard, but it mashed into the coat, with a new one it should be better. And the rifle will be shorter.
catgirl_ranger

Post by catgirl_ranger »

I'm up for making attack icons! It would let me work a lot closer to my usual methods. :D

I went to try tweak that scarf shading yesterday, loaded up the gentleman with the fixed head, moved the scarf over from my other file and of course had to move it over a pixel. The tails on the base pic were in the same place and with the moved copy over it looked like a longer, wider (showier?) scarf! Does it look that way to you guys? Am I seeing things? Should I shade it up that way? (Ignore the shading, it's completely off this way)
big scarf!
big scarf!
gentleman7bigscarfmaybe.png (2.8 KiB) Viewed 4400 times
Also, @Kanapka: The shape of his jacket looks good to me (the color, too, that doesn't matter), I'd like to see two fold lines at the elbow on our left, to make it look more fabric-y. Also, I think his foot on our right should be turned out rather than in.
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

How about this one?
dragon_hat.png
dragon_hat.png (2.29 KiB) Viewed 4368 times
Catgirl_ranger: Yeah, I think I didn't move the scarf when moving the head, so it may be smaller. If you make it bigger and it looks good, do it. If you need .xcf files of anything, just ask me.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Oh so you want that style...

Back to the drawing board. :doh:
Attachments
What I did have.
What I did have.
trigger-happy.png (960 Bytes) Viewed 4363 times
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

@ Kanapka:

That dragon is starting to look good! My only real query is about the gun (again!...). I dunno if it's gonna be possible with this position/such a short barrel, though. If it is not and would require complete redraw, or turns out ugly, I guess it can just do the way it is. Anyway: I would appreciate if the trumpet-shape of the cannon's end was more exagerated. Maybe like a pixel or two more width on each side. I know real blunderbusses weren't so large, but it would give a comic-style that fits sprites well, I think, and would make his gun's nature more obvious.

Looking at him, I thought there was something missing, and I just tought: maybe you could add a big feather or something to his hat? Could give a nice touch :)

@ catgirl_ranger:

I haven't got the previous sprite handy to really compare and contrast the two versions. I guess yours generally look good, nothing really shocking, anyway. The scarf does seem a little more rippled, but, as you suggested, maybe it could be worked on more. I dunno.

If you are still interested at making attack icons, I can try to get a list of what I'd need the most. Maybe I will have time to start it this evening, but most likely I can't have anything complete before next tuesday or wednesday.

@ Dipsey:

What do you mean by "that style"? Refering to Vranca's sprites? Anyway, that sprite could have potential, I guess, although if I'm gonna keep Vranca's as the Mad Gunner, the colour palettes are really different. Also, its hat and possibly guns kinda have a hard time. Are you still working on that indian, btw?
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Yes... I Didn't see that sprite. Sorry. I was wondering if you could jump on IRC real quick... say #wesnoth-dev or #wesnoth-3D... I was wondering if we could discuss the sprite real quick.
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

Would this one make it?
dragon.png
dragon.png (2.69 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

I'm not to say if it would make it or not - that's Dixie's decision - but the butt of the rifle would be hard to use when you're twisting the gun round to see the foresight (the barrel is at a different angle to the butt).
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

dragon_line.png
dragon_line.png (2.7 KiB) Viewed 4339 times
Reepurr: Do you mean that the red line is too straight, or that the teal line should be more vertical?
catgirl_ranger

Post by catgirl_ranger »

Still up for attack icons. tues. or weds. is fine, I probably wouldn't get to them before monday anyway.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well, as said previously, I will be absent for the week end. Sorry folks!

For the dragon, I hesitate between saying "Pretty cool, let's get him in!" and "Could the gun's barrel be wider?". So I dunno, I guess if you're up for trying to get the muzzle really trumpet shaped, it could be nice, but it's mostly up to you...

Thanks guys!
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

I was able to frankenstien one of my units to create this guy.

You can have the original sprite to if you want.
Attachments
???
???
bowman.png (1.81 KiB) Viewed 4283 times
Original
Original
desrert-archer.png (2.15 KiB) Viewed 4283 times