DD's Frankie emporium; terrain, units- evil a speciality...

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Darker_Dreams

Re: E-ville

Post by Darker_Dreams »

Attachments
archlich.gif
archlich.gif (146.12 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
archlich.zip
(35.15 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

Attachments
deadtrees.png
deadtrees.png (16.2 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
dead trees.zip
(9.89 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
still don't know what I did to get this coloration, but here's the tile.
still don't know what I did to get this coloration, but here's the tile.
darkgrass.png (4.42 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

these aren't really pixel art, I suppose, so much as something I realized I could do after making the dead trees. I used my camera to "scan" hand drawn shapes for the dead trees that I then colored and shrank... then it occurred to me that proper pictures of other things, even if not hand drawn, might be used in a similar fashion- it just takes a picture with the right lighting, angle, and a background that isn't murderous to remove. I find the plain walls of museums can be ok for removal, you just have to watch the lighting.

anyway, these are some things I've thought might be useful in the past.
Attachments
setpieces.png
setpieces.png (18.45 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
archetechture.zip
(8.48 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

CREEPY TERRAIN!!! :D
Looks awesome. I really think that should be mainlined... :hmm:
Check out my sprites!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Woodmouse, i'm sure i've told you many times: please don't comment on what you think should or should not be mainlined. It's really not your place.

Comment on the art itself, and what is good and bad about it, what can be improved. If you're not giving constructive critique, and all you;re doing is saying 'cool' more or less, please rethink whether you need to post at all.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

What would happen if Woodmouse was made an Art Developer? There would be new stuff galore! (just kidding) :P I do think the terrains do look good, but they don't really seem to belong with the backround. Hmmm... :hmm:
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Probably the terrain color changed if you pasted over the file your lich (changing the file palette) I used to get a few of these but since now I'm pasting on a new image (where the palete isn't defined?) it doesn't happen anymore.

At least that's what I think happened.

It looks curious.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

Telaron wrote:I do think the terrains do look good, but they don't really seem to belong with the backround. Hmmm... :hmm:
Yeah, that's definitely more true of the columns than the obilisk, but it's probably a process I'll try to stay away from in the future unless I'm looking for something specific that's just kicking my butt otherwise.
Vendanna wrote:Probably the terrain color changed if you pasted over the file your lich (changing the file palette) I used to get a few of these but since now I'm pasting on a new image (where the palete isn't defined?) it doesn't happen anymore.

At least that's what I think happened.

It looks curious.
I actually played with that for a while... somehow it took the wording of your comment to make me realize that it would have to be the terrain imported into a GIMP with the archlich, which had been saved then re-opened as a gif. In retrospect it seems obvious to the point of me being [censored] for not figuring it out right off. -blah-
So, I color shifted all of the grass hexes (including the transitions and ones with flowers and rocks) to that murky, dead-grass look. I'm not sure how muddy or clear it'll be actually in wesnoth, but if someone wants the frames, here they are- just needs a .cfg.
dead grass.zip
might be good for graveyards, shadowed places, and whatever you want to ail the good guys...
(86.64 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
meanwhile, there are a few people who want headstones (including me) and a limited selection, so I decided to try my hand. I actually tried to do one in a stylized ankh shape (given some of the discussion regarding symbolism and the non-religion used that seems roughly analogous to having a cross headstone, I'd think)- but it promptly failed. I won't say it kicked my butt, just that it looked less clear than these. I might work on it (and some others) more later- but for now I'd like some C&C on how this looks. Like the dead trees, it's some of my first forays into creating something from scratch, and I'm not really sure what to take away from it. I have learned that while the sizing creates some forgiveness with basic objects I need significant improvement on my people-drawing skills before I even consider trying unit sprites thusly, however.
headstones.png
headstones.png (4.04 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

some of what I'm toying with, all of which feels like it needs *something*. I'm not sure about choices in a couple spots, mostly I just thought I'd troll for thoughts/inspiration. (really, thoughts on anything are welcome).

top row (except for the sprite that is notable for being someone else's work, mainline, and only present for comparison) is a unit I'm referring to as "enlightened." The idea derives from the wise/holy man in the wilderness concept and other vows of poverty / other deprivations. Like the undying (which I'm more and more inclined to revisit), I'm using the lich body for that sense of "really not well fed" (versus all the other magi and necromancer sprites who look like they have steady, calorie-rich diets). The thing that threw me was realizing that the "white mage" and MoL/"white cleric" are really blue-based coloring... I dunno, you tell me.

The bottom row ("Priest of Shadows" was the concept, "Mage of Shadows" became the working title when I remembered the "White Cleric" became the MoL...) again feels like it's missing something. I've got a couple hood options, adding the cloak helped immensely, but there's something about a wonking-huge staff and mace (or any of the other large implements the various spellcasters lug around) that's hard to replace with "subtle and strange."

Speaking of subtle and strange, I still haven't found a design for the angle view of an infinity loop that I'm happy with.
Attachments
wise men.png
wise men.png (10.75 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

:shock: The left sprite on the bottom row is exactly something I've been looking for!
I needed a customized version of the Necromancer for my campaign's hero, and WOW that's perfect! I was actually thinking about asking artisticdude to do it, but I've bothered him with my projects enough lately, and no need to now- cause that's just what I wanted! Thanks for making the sprite you didn't even know I needed! :P :mrgreen:
I can use it, right? Please?...

Also, if you feel like animating it, that would be awesome, but that's not really necessary, so don't bother if you don't want to. I don't mind.

Thanks again! :D

You're gonna think I'm insane or something after this post... :P :roll:
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

Heh, rock on Wrathbow. I'll try to get some animations together soon-ish. Any particular preference on what he does?

Alternate option;
Attachments
mage-of-shadows.png
mage-of-shadows.png (3.12 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Darker_Dreams wrote:Any particular preference on what he does?
Nothing special. Same as normal necromancer- staff whack, and shoot those dark lightning bolts.

Thanks so much! :D
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

HI Darker_Dreams. Just wanna ask if I could use the lich lord for the apocalypse era.

Thanks.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

dipseydoodle; help yourself.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Thanks.